Author Topic: Freeplay at passenger side rear wheel after wheel bearing replacement.  (Read 270 times)

R.E.wing_fc3s

• Junior Level
  • USA, WA, Bellingham
Hello. I tried searching this topic beforehand so if its been covered already feel free to send me a link. I am working on a clients 1970 280sl. During the inspection excess free play while rocking the tire from top to bottom was noted at the passenger side rear wheel. Upon disassembly I found the incorrect ball bearing instead of the self centering roller bearing. Installed new correct bearing and seals. Checked the axle tube and shaft bearing mount surface. I realize now i should have checked concentricity and the inner diameter of the axle tube bearing mount surface and compared with specs.  ::) There was some resistance to the bearing being mounted to the shaft, less so into the rear axle tube. Suspecting a loose fit for the bearing at the axle tube I did use loctite bearing retainer. I did not peen the mount surface as i have not had success with peening bearings that experience higher load. 
After all was back together the free play was basically the same.
My question is who has experienced this issue and how did you fix it. New axle tube and shaft? Machine the tube and fit a sleeve?

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
It's pretty much normal to have end play on the right rear wheel. The self aligning bearing used in this application will move in and out more than you expect. 
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

R.E.wing_fc3s

• Junior Level
  • USA, WA, Bellingham
OK thanks. The freeplay is noticeable when grabbing the top and bottom of tire and pushing and pulling the top and bottom alternately. Seems like this would allow for some camber change when driving.  It doesnt have in and out play like if you grabbed the tire and try to move it in and out in line with the axle tube.

Jordan

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Jordan
OK thanks. The freeplay is noticeable when grabbing the top and bottom of tire and pushing and pulling the top and bottom alternately. Seems like this would allow for some camber change when driving.  It doesnt have in and out play like if you grabbed the tire and try to move it in and out in line with the axle tube.

Maybe you can post a short video so we can see the degree of movement.  Then those more knowledgeable can say yay or nay that is normal.  Curious if it is the same on the drivers side.  If some degree of movement is normal, should it not be the same on both sides?  This is a question for the experts as I would like to know myself.
Marcus
66 230SL  Euro 4 speed

R.E.wing_fc3s

• Junior Level
  • USA, WA, Bellingham
The movement is only on the passenger side. Typically any degreee of movement that would allow camber change is a  nono

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
I would also think that we want 0 play in a wheel, as described. Curious about the cause; I am not with my Pagoda (France/California distance) but I replaced my rear bearings years ago and don't recall any play there.
I am even replacing my BMW motorcycle rear bearing as there is about a half millimeter play at the edge of the tire, and I think that's responsible for a small amount of vibration coming from the rear at speeds over 85 MPH.
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II