Author Topic: Tyre dressers  (Read 3695 times)

iftykhan

Tyre dressers
« on: July 09, 2013, 15:48:59 »
The tyres on my car have been treated with some kind of gloss dressing which has gone a horrid patchwork brown and is even more visible in direct sunlight.
I don't really like the shiny oily finish that most of these dressings seem to achieve.
Does anyone know of a tyre dressing or cleaner which leaves a more natural matt finish?

Thanks to all who contributed to the question : Waxing-what do you use?  
I went out and bought the Meguires cleaner/conditioner, clay/quick detailer, polish and wax.
It took me nearly 5 hours to complete but what a difference!

Happy motoring
Ifty

(Sorry people, I should have posted in the "body, interior.....section")
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 15:53:51 by iftykhan »

280sl1968

Re: Tyre dressers
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 18:35:09 »
I found the Autoglym tyre dressing gives quite good results and you can vary the amount of 'sheen' by removing excess before it dries.

I don't like overly shiny tires either, but I find this product restores the deep black colour of new tyres.

David

Alf

• Senior
  • England, Surrey, Lightwater
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 19:22:53 »
Ditto
Alf
'69 280SL. Silver (180 G) with black hardtop

ptooner

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 12:39:00 »
I went out and bought the Meguires cleaner/conditioner, clay/quick detailer, polish and wax.
It took me nearly 5 hours to complete but what a difference!
I'd love to hear more about exactly how you used the paint products.  I have all those in the garage but am not really sure what is the proper way to use them.  

Gerry
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 13:00:09 by Peter van Es »

wwheeler

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • USA, TX, Dallas
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 20:28:29 »
I use 303 aerospace protectant. Leaves a natural satin gloss plus has SPF of 45 to help block UV. No silicone either!
Wallace
Texas
'68 280SE W111 coupe
'60 220SE W128 coupe
'70 Plymouth Roadrunner 440+6

Jack Jones

• Silver
  • Canada, ON, Milton
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2013, 02:55:21 »
The best tire and wheel cleaner is Murphys Oil Soap. Yes I know it is for wood floors but a wheel refinisher put me onto it a number of years ago since it does not attack the clear coat on alloy wheels and when you use it on the tires with a wash brush, it brings the tires to their natural new look. It also makes a really good car wash soap as it removes grease and oil and is very gentle on paint. When you read the instructions on the soap, it states that it is for automobiles.
Jack Jones                                                                                                   
1970 280SL 4 Speed
1984 280SL 5 Speed

iftykhan

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2013, 08:23:48 »
Thanks for your suggestions.
I have also been advised to use black shoe polish by a friend who owns an e type. He swears by it.

Gerry, I am no expert in these matters but my approach was to use a soft wash mitt with two buckets of water, one with clean water for rinsing mitt and the other with shampoo and conditioner for loading.

Once washed I dried using a leather substitute type cloth.
I then applied the detailer as a lubricant for the clay and worked on half a panel at a time. This made the paintwork as smooth as glass and also removed any stuck on debris such as insects and tar.

Then applied the polish by hand and finally the wax.
I did this a couple of weeks ago and paintwork looks great, although I have used the quick detailer once since.

I was very happy with the results but you probably need to look at the original post by Mille in General Discussions.
There were some very helpful detailed responses to the initial enquiry.

Regards
Ifty

« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 08:35:44 by iftykhan »