W113 Pagoda SL Group > Pagoda Spotting

1971 280SL

(1/3) > >>

1132021benz:
I thought it might be time to share a photo of my Pagoda, as I have been enjoying and using the forum for quite a while.  This is my third pagoda, and I actually never thought I would own another one, due to the increases in pricing and overall cost of restoration. I first saw this car in 2007 where it had sat in a barn since 1999.  The owner had bought it from the original purchaser in 1997, had driven it for a couple of years, and then lost interest due to changes in his profession that led him to be away from home for long periods of time. He finally agreed to let it go in 2021, and I got the call that he was ready to sell.

Like many of you on this forum, I purchased a car thinking to myself, that I would just drive it, and improve it as I went. Again, as many of you are probably thinking while reading this, that is essentially a non-starter for a car that has been sitting for 22 years. 

The car had no rust whatsoever, and came from Connecticut originally, finding its way to Vermont with the second owner. I was fortunate enough to find an amazing group of people who have the talent to fully restore the car, but sympathetically, trying to preserve as much as possible of the original car, but doing things right when it came to putting it back together, using nothing but OEM parts, either new old stock or good used, as well as all the correct fasteners, clamps, hoses, etc.

The end result is simply amazing. Having replaced every single piece of rubber, and every single piece that could wear in the suspension is a revelation. One really understands how these cars felt when they were brand, new, and just how superior they were to anything else out there, in terms of drivability, the wonderful noise that they make, and sheer aesthetic, beauty.

I look forward to seeing you all out there on the road someday, perhaps, at one of our events, or perhaps, just in passing. I wish all of you well, and keep enjoying these wonderful cars that we love so much.

tockuly:
What did you use to correctly identify “factory original” in terms of finish? I’m doing a 1971 280 SL and I haven’t been able to locate any sort of restoration manual that clearly identifies factory fit and finish. Any thoughts from someone who has been there?

dirkbalter:

--- Quote from: tockuly on January 08, 2024, 04:20:10 ---What did you use to correctly identify “factory original” in terms of finish? I’m doing a 1971 280 SL and I haven’t been able to locate any sort of restoration manual that clearly identifies factory fit and finish. Any thoughts from someone who has been there?

--- End quote ---

You are at the right place. This forum is better than any restauration manual. You can find (almost) anything you need to know here. Keep searching or ask questions.

rwmastel:
I would assume "factory finish" means adhering to the original colors, materials, options specified on the data card.  Do you mean something different?  Maybe start a discussion in the General Discussion forum or the Questions on Originality forum with your questions.

zoegrlh:
Nice looking, you did the right thing by replacing all the rubber, that’s a must. And you wanted to feel how the car would ride if it was back in 1970. Another thing to consider would be to change out the shocks to and to change out the horsehair seat cushions to new horsehair cushions, these two replacements will give you a greater feeling of how the ride would be if in 1970.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version