W113 Pagoda SL Group > Commercial Advertising

250SL ZF 5-speed at Sotheby's Amelia

(1/4) > >>

Jack the Knife:
https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/am23/amelia-island/lots/r0016-1967-mercedes-benz-250-sl-pagoda-five-speed/1314019

Seems to be loaded with everything. A very nice car.

Pinder:
Nice color combo.

I recently installed retractable seatbelts and contemplated using the same mounting location (using the screws that hold down the parcel shelf but thought that might night hold up well.

Regards

Pinder

Garry:
To me, this is the ultimate pick of the Pagodas.

250 motor so increased bearings, early enough to have all the chrome bling, five speed, the cream of the gearboxes, air-conditioned, and most importantly, not been modified with someone thinking they can or want to ‘improve' the original engineered design with modern thinking. Great colour combo.

About as good as it can get. Pity its not RHD to make it that bit more rare.

Jack the Knife:

--- Quote from: Garry on February 11, 2023, 02:57:58 ---most importantly, not been modified with someone thinking they can or want to ‘improve' the original engineered design with modern thinking

--- End quote ---

Come on, man.

Stainless exhaust, modern tires, non-tinny radio, lighter-than-25lb wheels, sedan axles, electronic ignition, adjustable shocks, three-point seatbelts, contemporary insulation, unleaded fuel, aluminum radiators, non-OEM fuel pumps, kickdown switch for auto 1st gear, Getrag direct-drive-in-5th gearboxes, 107 seals around the door windows, modern lighting, better bushings, progressive springs, rear discs on a 230...

... and woe to those who ever think of improving the swing axle with their "modern" thinking.

Real "old man shouting at clouds" energy.

Garry:
Jack,

I think you need to read the opening lines on the intent fo this Group.
https://www.sl113.org/

Not that I care what you or anyone else does to their car but I for one have huge respect for the original design and am quite comfortable maintaining my car to that standard, along with its value as an original car.  Yep some things that are consumables are changed out to a modern product, and some standard safety gear like seat belts oif they were not fitted, are all good , but other things that are purely personal preferences start to modify the car away from the original intent.  I just don't see too many 300SL’s getting modified much these days. I suspect Pagodas will, in the long run, go the same way.

"Real "old man shouting at clouds” energy”  I don't know if I should take that as a compliment or it is a bit off for this Group, as I don't understand what that means.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version