Author Topic: Help needed with noise  (Read 5702 times)

alpina

• Vendor
  • Silver
  • Spain, Asturias, Villaviciosa
Help needed with noise
« on: July 16, 2020, 21:45:18 »
I need your help. I get this random clinking noise from the rear of my car. (sounds like it is coming from behind the driver LHD) I can’t replicate this in the garage. It does not depend on speed slow or fast, going straight or round a corner it is completely random.

I have replaced the diff mount, rear trailing arm rubbers, trailing arm axle rubbers. rear rotors, shoes and pads. I am at a complete loss and it is slowly driving me mad.

Please listen to the attached files to see if anyone has come across this and what the hell it is.

🙏Please help.

mrfatboy

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, Rancho Santa Fe
    • Mrfatboy
Re: Help needed with noise
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2020, 22:11:52 »
That’s a very clear “ting” sound with minimal wind noise in the background. Where did you put the microphone? Outside? Inside? Was the top up/down? How fast were you going when you recorded it?

It sounds like you have a gnome blacksmith in your trunk😳🤣
1969 280sl (Aug 1968 build)
Signal Red
4 Speed

alpina

• Vendor
  • Silver
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2020, 22:21:31 »
wife recorded with iphone hood down, driving approx 90km/h  50mph. although it does not seem speed related, can happen at low or high speed. sometimes you can drive for over an hour with nothing. then the next trip it could happen more often, it sounds like it coming from behind my head. but there is nothing there with the hood down >:(

mrfatboy

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
    • Mrfatboy
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2020, 22:30:13 »
It’s a very bright sounding “ting”. Definitely metal on metal. It sounds like something that is hanging with a metal tip that swings back and forth and just happens to hit something else “Tingy” randomly.

I’m trying to think what metal on the car would even make such a bright sound when it.
Signal Red
4 Speed

mrfatboy

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
    • Mrfatboy
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2020, 22:33:03 »
 Could it be something to do with the chrome cover plates that are on either side of the seats? Seat belt hardware or something else hitting them?
Signal Red
4 Speed

alpina

• Vendor
  • Silver
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2020, 22:40:46 »
The chrome plates on the seats was one of my first thoughts, both are secure. It does sound like when the seat belt metal clip hits something metal, but i am wearing the belt. i have shaken the car up and down left to right in the garage and can not get it to happen when stationary.

mrfatboy

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
    • Mrfatboy
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2020, 22:42:41 »
Is there anything underneath the parcel shelves that could be making the noise?
Signal Red
4 Speed

alpina

• Vendor
  • Silver
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2020, 22:52:55 »
Tried that. Nothing. I have an amp under the parcel shelf behind the passenger seat, but that is also secure and does not move.

mrfatboy

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
    • Mrfatboy
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2020, 23:19:38 »
For something to make that sharp ting sound I would think it would have to be thin metal like a chrome piece.  Could it be something metal hitting the glass inside the door?

BTW. You might want to make your sound file more “loadable”. I got it to work but I had to jump through some hoops on my iPhone.

More “ears” more help😜👍
Signal Red
4 Speed

alpina

• Vendor
  • Silver
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2020, 23:26:27 »
that is the file type that can be uploaded here. I could not upload .wav .mp3 or .mp4. i don't understan why we can't upload
these common audio files. maybe an admin can enlighten me.

mrfatboy

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
    • Mrfatboy
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2020, 23:30:11 »
For now it might be easier to have the audio file in Dropbox, google drive, etc and link to it.  This forum is more of a “click it” group. If it don’t work on one click they move on🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Signal Red
4 Speed

alpina

• Vendor
  • Silver

mrfatboy

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
    • Mrfatboy
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2020, 00:21:06 »
Try removing all 4 wheel covers and test if still making the noise.
Signal Red
4 Speed

GM

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, CA, San Pedro
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2020, 01:00:52 »
Did you check in the soft top compartment?
Gary
1971 280SL - Sold
(98 from the end of production)
DB180 Silver Gray Metallic
Black MB Tex

kampala

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Hermosa Beach
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2020, 06:04:40 »
The sound is like a ball-bearing in a glass jar.   
250sl - later - manual
280sl - 1971 - Auto - LSD

Aslam

hansr433

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • Italy, Tuscany, Torrita di Siena
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2020, 07:44:59 »
The sound is of glass rolling against metal.  You described it well by naming the sound files thus.  Try rolling up all windows.  Have you checked under the seats? Have you looked in the trunk?

I see that you are in Spain.  Here in Italy, the cars get put onto a contraption which shakes the car and tests the suspension for the bi-annual inspection.  If a similar process is used where you are, you might be able to replicate the noise in a garage and narrow down the area it is coming from.  Another possibility is borrowing a GoPro camera with suction mounts and move it around the car in stages while driving in order to identify the sound source.  Let us know what you find.
Hans
1963 220SE Cabrio (Exterior: Navy MB 332, Top: Haarz Navy, Interior: 482P Sahara Beige)
1963 BMW R69S

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2020, 08:01:20 »
Weird noises I've had (but sounded different):

• brake lines underneath the body, slapping against body
  • I had a bolt shear off inside the differential... sometimes you'd hear it and then it would go away again

However, both these were more metal on metal noises.

The reason we don't allow mp3 or wav file uploads is because there is not much call for that. I can fix that though. However, the way you solved it with Dropbox works well.
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

kampala

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Hermosa Beach
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2020, 15:15:49 »
After listening several times :

Long shot but. 

Is there a chance of a bolt or something rolling around in the frame rail?  It is a hollow section.  Would a seatbelt connection or something else have gotten loose and rolling around.  I “think” these rails were coated in waxoil? Something could have never rolled until the wax let loose.

Will listen again. 

250sl - later - manual
280sl - 1971 - Auto - LSD

Aslam

alpina

• Vendor
  • Silver
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2020, 20:41:59 »
todays update. I have just returned from a 200km drive. After trying a number of things,
It seems that if I have the drivers window is wound all the way up I don’t get as many clinks. Wind the window all the way down the clinks are way more frequent. I drove maybe 100km window up no clinks, wound down window for the next  15km multiple clinks. Window up nothing for ages then just on clink. Window down for the last 5km home and almost as the window was down I got a clink. This could all be coincidence. I have also noticed that with the window up the door feels more solid when closing. With the window down if feels different.
I guess I should investigate what’s going on inside the door.

GM

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, CA, San Pedro
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2020, 22:05:27 »
The metal channel(s) mounted to the bottom of the window may be in the process of falling off
Gary
1971 280SL - Sold
(98 from the end of production)
DB180 Silver Gray Metallic
Black MB Tex

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton and Brisbane Queensland
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2020, 22:11:30 »
My vote goes with Gary that it is part of the window mechanism is loose somewhere.
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric

FGN59

• Inactive
  • Silver
  • France, Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur, Marseille
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2020, 07:11:09 »
Trying to make a contribution...

Assuming nobody has played a joke on you and placed a hidden glass vial undercover somewhere 😄, I‘d say one hears a smaller, loose or loose enough, piece of unpainted metal hitting a much heavier, fixed piece of unpainted metal; both have to be unpainted (unless there’s glass other than the windows and windshield in our cars?), otherwise you wouldn’t have such a clear bell-like sound; one of them has to be small and loose enough to resonate (hence the noise), and the other large enough and not moving, so as not to resonate (as it doesn’t give any noise of itself). The clarity of the sound does indeed lend to believe at least one of the pieces hitting each other is chrome (very hard, unyielding surface, that transmits vibrations really well and allows the piece to resonate clearly).

The smaller piece has to be free to move quite a bit, hitting the other piece very cleanly, as the noise is very clear, not muted or dull. It is not close to the other piece (in a relative sense), otherwise you’d hear it rattling, not hitting.

It also seems like maybe the small piece is hanging, at least partly loose, as in the third and fourth instance of the noise on your recording, is is almost as if the loose piece is hitting the larger piece quite frankly at first (third instance), and then kind of more lightly and right after on the fourth instance, like on the rebound or as if it were swinging, hitting a bit hard the first time (very clean and clear sound), having been jostled from its hanging position by some movement of the car, and then hitting again from its own momentum on a backswing or something like that.

A lot of reading into the ashes or the clouds, but to recap, try to think of a smaller piece of metal (although not that small, since the noise is not small) hanging loose and hitting an unpainted, very solid other part. It is hanging freely enough to hit another piece, but still attached somewhere, because it keeps doing the exact same noise repeatedly (it’s not moving around). It’s got to be something which is normally attached by two (or more) screws, one of which came off (hence the hanging), the other still there, but also coming loose (otherwise no swinging and no clear bell-like ringing). It has to have clear space around it to be able to swing back and forth.

Finally, it may be decorative, as you don’t seem to report that any mechanism is inoperable?

If the phone was in the car, I’d say the object is also in the car, not underside.

In addition to the window mechanisms as candidates, is there any void (empty space) and a candidate part inside the seat (head rest armature)?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 07:15:11 by FGN59 »
François

1994 Toyota Land Cruiser SW HDJ80 4.2L diesel
sold:
1969 280SL US specs, 4-speed manual, beige-grey (726H), parchment leather
1962 Jaguar MK2 3.8L (4.2L XJ6 engine), black, tan leather interior
1968 Peugeot 204 roadster, white, black interior
1955 Massey Ferguson TEF20 diesel tractor 😁

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2020, 09:51:31 »

In addition to the window mechanisms as candidates, is there any void (empty space) and a candidate part inside the seat (head rest armature)?

Or under seat cushion? broken spring?

I like the FGN59 reasoning!!!
Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

TheEngineer

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, West Seattle, WA
  • '69 280SL,Signal Red,
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2020, 16:14:37 »
Well FGN59 is French. They are the very best engineers in the world!
'69 280SL,Signal Red, 09 cam, License BB-59U
'67 230SL, 113042-10-017463 (sld)
'50 Jaguar Roadster XK120, #670.318 (sld)
tired engineer, West-Seattle,WA

MikeSimon

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, North Royalton
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2020, 16:26:27 »
Well FGN59 is French. They are the very best engineers in the world!

The difference between Heaven and Hell:

Heaven - French are the cooks
              English are the policemen
              Germans are the engineers
              Swiss are the organizers
              Italians are the lovers

Hell    - French are the engineers
           English are the cooks
           Germans are the policemen
           Swiss are the lovers
           Italians are the organizers.
 8) 8)