Author Topic: Seat Swap?  (Read 3220 times)

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
Seat Swap?
« on: August 18, 2017, 14:31:44 »
My drivers seat is a bit beaten up - particularly the bolster on the offside

Is is possible to swap the seats over? Put the passenger seat on the drivers rails and vice versa. I know the hand wheel/tilt lever would be on the wrong sides but I'd guess a seat swap meets my skill grade wheras doing a leather swap is likely beyond me.

Thx
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
Re: Seat Swap?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 16:44:59 »
James,
not quite sure what you mean with "bolster on the offside", the backrest cushion or the seat cushion?
You can swap the backrests since they are symmetric but not the seats since they are asymmetric. Take a look at the pictures here: https://www.sls-hh-shop.de/main/en/mercedes-230-280sl-w113-/91-seats  click on #25
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

JamesL

• Platinum
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017, 16:49:23 »
Alfred - offside or door-side

Both pad and back are getting worn/cracked though back is worse so may try that swap to extend the life of it
James L

• Platinum
  • Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Tecklenburg
Re: Seat Swap left to right ?
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2017, 17:59:25 »
Dear James,

My 2 cents advice: don't! :o

Theoretically the swap is possible but in practice - rather not. :-X

As a full member, who you are, 2 years ago or so I wrote a seat article and got that published in the PagodaWorld.
I am sure, I am confident you haven't read it - too uninteresting for you.  ;) ;D
Certainly you are also not interested in my advice... possibly.
Probably you should read it at least partially now - it helps understand your problem here.

To make a short story long...,
all seats younger than very early 230 SLs (1963's so to speak) are two-handed: left and right side seat. While (as Alfred mentioned) the backrests are always identical left and right within a given car, the seat cushions are not. They are laterally reversed,
with the outside of the seat cushion being wider than the inside (towards the wooden tray).

Now, you can disassemble seats and rails and hinges/incline mechanisms to change passenger's and driver's side parts forth and back; however, you will usually always see that an ex-passenger seat is still a passenger seat due to its different form.
Have a look to the seat cushions of your 2 seats, and you will understand what I mean.

Well...., actually...,
after removal of your (perfect leather) seat covers you "could" even change the differences below there ..., will say the rubber-horsehair upholstery and even "change" the spring cushion,
but I dearly recommend not to do so. :P ???
Usually, after some 40#+ years the springs, especially the ones in the seat cushions (the so called Nosag wave springs), have sagged and just need to be replaced by new ones.
Pretty similar with the springs in the backrest. There, the flat steel springs are usually broken, and better do not weld them but get the broken pieces replaced.

There are good upholstery shops who can do that. Ask Stick  or Roger Edwards Motors or other highly recommended sites for some good locations here close to your home. Otherwise I can recommend two excellent sites for you in Germany ....

But I think after a 40+ years period, you just need to take care (or let take care) of the non-visible parts of the seat as well and get those professionally repaired.

It is a   h-u-g-e   difference then . Do it (I did it on my car - what a difference ...!)
You will love your car again, it's a huge difference in driving comfort - especially on long trips (European Event 2018 and so), not only for you but also for Tamara. ;) ;D

My 2 cents ....

Achim
(with repaired seats)

« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 18:04:05 by 114015 »
Achim
(Germany)

JamesL

• Platinum
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2017, 18:06:25 »
Thanks Achim

Your PW article "rings a bell" but as it wasn't relevant then, it didn't stick with me

But essentially, by the time "I've"* stripped both seat backs and rebuilt them with the "wrong" covers on, I may as well get them properly rebuilt and possibly new cognac leather put in the panels that are in a bad way. The issue is part is the belief, perhaps mistaken, that the cognac leather is NLA/not made the way it was and I really don't want to do the whole interior :o

*paid someone
James L

• Platinum
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2017, 18:07:23 »
James,

Here are a few pics to better understand what I was talking about.

Give it a thought. ;)

Best,
A.
Achim
(Germany)

• Platinum
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2017, 18:13:12 »
James,

What I meant is that I remember your car had perfect leather (or close to)!
So, I definitely wouldn't change anything on your seat covers now or so.

Just get the stuff underneath - especially the springs - repaired now.

You can also re-use your horse-hair pads (well, it's rubberised horse-hair); if they have sagged a little bit, this can be upholstered with  a flat layer of the same material by the shop - and you get your original pad-height and stiffness back.

Good luck,
and keep us updated on your progress,

Achim
(with still three pairs of seats to be redone ... :o :P :-X :-X)
Achim
(Germany)