Author Topic: seat pads-much confusion  (Read 5778 times)

rmmchl

• Silver
  • USA, WV, Charleston
seat pads-much confusion
« on: February 01, 2011, 00:28:19 »
I have a midyear 250sl. I ordered new seat covers years ago, but now I want new pads. They now mention  "large seats" and "small seats" Mine do not have headrests. The back is thinner in the middle and pretty wide towards the outer edges. I have no idea what type pads to order.  Also GAHH has them for $100.00 each side. everyone else they are $235.00 each. I am very confused. If they are aftermarket, does that make them bad???- Maybe some are mexico knock-offs.-I heard mexico duplicates were okay. Under my seat there is a label . The numbers loook like they read w113 14 0414-they are the originals from germany.  It looks like some lind of fiber birds nest -like -stuff. The new ones look like rubber. Does anyone have any insight on this confusion???
michael romeo           
1967  250sl
signal red

zoegrlh

• Gold
  • USA, VA, Williamsburg
  • Beauty from top BCW
Re: seat pads-much confusion
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 02:37:33 »
GAHH is the best place to get pads for after market product.  They are from Mexico, and are made by the company that supplies the pads to the VW assembly plant for the new VW Beetles.  So the quality is really good and they are made to MB specs.  Now if you want to get the originals, you can still order from MB.  As for the large and small seat size, the large is the seats that are wider across and are not stitched stright along the left side of driver's seat, the smaller is sitiched stright from front to back with no indent near the seat hinge.  Now the backs are different.  The older seats (small is not as thick along top, and no room for head rest post).  Later seat backs were thicker with head rest.
Robert Hyatt
Williamsburg, VA.

W113, 1970 280SL, Red leather 242 on Silver Gray Met. 180, 4-speed stick, Euro spec, restored
R172 2012 SLK350, Black Premium leather 801 on Mars Red 590, 7-speed auto
W211, 2007 E320 Bluetec, Cashmere MB Tex 144 on Arctic White 650, 7 speed auto

zoegrlh

• Gold
  • USA, VA, Williamsburg
  • Beauty from top BCW
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 02:40:29 »
PS.  I think GAHH price is for each pad, not the whole seat (two pads, seat bottom and back).  Both seats come to $400.  I have used these pads on a friends SL that I was restoring and they are top quality pads.
Bob
Robert Hyatt
Williamsburg, VA.

W113, 1970 280SL, Red leather 242 on Silver Gray Met. 180, 4-speed stick, Euro spec, restored

rmmchl

• Silver
  • USA, WV, Charleston
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 03:48:59 »
mine are the large ones without the headrests----------there is an indention in the seat on the door side.  167 250sl-i will order the large pads
michael romeo           
1967  250sl
signal red

ptooner

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 23:14:51 »
I've been pursuing this problem also.  Mine is a 65 so I know I have the smaller style seats.  I'm not sure whether I need the cushions or not.  My passenger seat particularly seams to sit up too high and then mash down too low.  I'm contemplating adding the foam roll thing inside the coil spring when I recover them next month.  Since I don't notice any lumpiness I'm guessing that I don't need the pads.  Any thoughts??

Also, I got the rest of my interior parts (door panels, etc) from World Upholstery and they seem to be quite a bit cheaper than GAHH.  $950 for front seats vs $1313 from GAHH.  Any experience?

Thanks
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 23:23:01 by ptooner »

tel76

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • United Kingdom, Isle of Man, Douglas
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 08:49:05 »
Several months ago there was a post from a member informing us that GAHH does not manufacture the seat covers it sells (it subcontracts them to another company).I have tried unsuccessfully to find this post,has it been removed and if so why?
Eric

menesesjesse

• Silver
  • USA, MD, Indian Head
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 15:08:08 »
I also bought from World upholstery and I found the service to be very good and the quality of the leather and stitching to be very good.  I also bought the carpet (wool) and it was good but the automatic shifter hole seemed a little small.  Overall I am satisfied with the product  and the savings ove Gahh.  Just a side not I asked for samples from both companies and the leather looked exactly the same.
Jesse
1966 Mercedes 230 SL auto
2003 Mercedes E500
1992 Ford F150
1994 Ford Bronco
2019 Shelby GT350R
1967 Mercury Cougar XR7

zoegrlh

• Gold
  • USA, VA, Williamsburg
  • Beauty from top BCW
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 18:34:07 »
I first got carpets from World Uphoistery, had to send them back , border stiching was messed up and I sent them back, got refund fast with no questions.  Then went to GAHH and had the borders made of the same colot leather as on seats etc, that also came from GAHH.  Yea, there is a difference in price, but I feel that the quality is much better.  Yea, the samples look alike from company to company, but the leather I got from GAHH was from thicker hides.  (I gave a talk on this subject at 2009 Blacklick University.)  Also, GAHH "DOES" cut and sew the seats inhouse.  I have talked to the company VP many times and concerning the process.  Cutting is computerized, and sewing is by hand.  They also have a large inventory of leather and carpeting.  My carpets with the leather borders is a fine touch.  It blens the color of carpeting with the leather seating.  Go for it you will not be sorry.  Ask for Jack Dekirmendjian, tell him I sent you.
Bob Hyatt
Williamsburg, VA. 
Robert Hyatt
Williamsburg, VA.

KevinC

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2011, 20:53:33 »
GAHH will also stamp the basketweave look into most any vinyl that they stock...MB or not. Its how I got my NLA interior color. No additional charge for this service.