Author Topic: Seat squab  (Read 3474 times)

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
Seat squab
« on: May 05, 2010, 06:15:31 »
I know someone on here (in Aus, I think) has C-class or SLK seats in his car. I also know that Mechatronik will sell you a seat.

I was wondering if anyone had "modernised" the springs and other internals of the squab - so that it looks original but offers a slightly firmer seat. I have thought about noodles and may find that my springs are broken etc. But if an upgraded spring set, or frame or pad were available, I would be interested to hear

Thanks
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

hauser

Re: Seat squab
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 07:29:14 »
I just took a look at the Mechatronic parts for sale section and they have seat parts listed.  No prices were advertised just a list of available parts.  Might be worth a look?

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 07:32:21 »
James,

I had my drivers seat 'refurbished' a year or two ago. The bits that hold the springs were broken, but they were relatively easily fixed by the seat guys. They re-did the padding and it made an enormous difference, but is probably a way away from being fully re-done. That's for another year. (150 euros for the work they did, versus 500 euros for a complete rebuild with new pads, etc).

JH
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

zoegrlh

• Gold
  • USA, VA, Williamsburg
  • Beauty from top BCW
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 14:58:17 »
I re-newed my seats a year ago.  If you need new seat botton springs, Bud's has them available, and sells them by the foot.  Just have a welder weld the springs to the frame.  Two of my bottom springs, driver's side, needed replacement.  Got this done then ordered original Mercedes-Benz hoarshair cushions, and backrest pads.  Covered with leather.  The seats feel GREAT.  A feel of what they were like when new in 1970.  You can purchase non MB hoarshair pads/cushions from GAHH at half the price ($159. each) that are made in Mexico by the manufacturer that also makes the new seat pads/cushions for the new VW bugs.  They are of good quality and are of the same specs as original MB pads/cushions.

Robert Hyatt
Williamsburg, VA.

W113, 1970 280SL, Red leather 242 on Silver Gray Met. 180, 4-speed stick, Euro spec, restored
R172 2012 SLK350, Black Premium leather 801 on Mars Red 590, 7-speed auto
W211, 2007 E320 Bluetec, Cashmere MB Tex 144 on Arctic White 650, 7 speed auto

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 13:56:21 »
As per thetech manual I whipped out my drivers seat and peered underneath. The springs were all OK and the horsehair nice and firm/solid

So I secured a cut pool noodle under the front part of the seat (between the springs) and then folded it to add some side support. A second piece was put laterally across the front

Popped* the seat back in, as per the Tech manual and Took it out for a drive. I sit slightly higher but so far more comfy for under-thigh support. I will keep and eye on how it "beds in". And wonder what the wife thinks..

* when i say popped I mean tried pretty much every combination of re-securing the seat to the car. Problem bolt was, of course front (where getting a socket in is impossible) by the tranny tunnel (so no lateral movement to locate the bolt properly/tighten). In the end I secured that one first and worked clockwise around the seat from there. It took an hour to get the seat back in - although under 10 minutes to get it out!

James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather