Author Topic: Manual trans and a micrometer anyone?  (Read 8075 times)

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
Manual trans and a micrometer anyone?
« on: October 10, 2007, 05:41:04 »
Hi,

I am beginning the process to adapt a more modern Getrag 265 5 speed transmission to my 113. Currently I am having an adaptor plate made and wanted to make an adaptor bushing for the pilot on hte imput shaft as well. I purchased a bady rusted 4 speed to use for measurement purposes but unfortunatly I need the diameter of the pilot area of the input shaft and that is too rusty to trust the measurement.

Does anyone have a transmission they can measure or the spec somewhere?

al_lieffring

Re: Manual trans and a micrometer anyone?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007, 06:06:22 »
I have an old front shaft that I used as a pilot alignment tool.
The front bearing surface measures .590" dia. sorry I don't have a metric micrometer any more, hope this helps.

Al Lieffring
66 230Sl
New blue top just arrived
new gas tank on order

jeffc280sl

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 08:14:19 »
The pilot bearing removed from my 280SL was marked FAG 6202.The inner diameter would be 15mm and the outer 35mm.  This agrees with Al's input.  Please let me know if you need anything else.

Jeff C.
1970 280SL 4-speed

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2007, 12:03:15 »
Wow! That was fast. Armed with not only the size but the bearing number I think I will see if I can find a bearing that will fit in the 113 flywheel and pilot on the Getrag Trans.

Thanks alot!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 12:11:38 by Shvegel »

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, JACKSONVILLE
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2007, 07:41:28 »
Please keep us informed.  Many of us would enjoy following your progress.  I still forget and try to shift into 5th every once in a while and would love to do it for real.  

Ray
'68 280SL 4-spd Coupe
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe

ejm

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 07:46:41 »
Ive just bought 3 getrag 265 overdrive boxes and am having conversion kits made up by an engineering firm. The cluch of the 280 fits the splines so thats no problem. Ive tried to get a spigot bearing with a smaller center but cant, so it seems that you need a sleeve for input and output shafts. The adaptor plate is 15 mm thick. When ive finished this and road tested it ill post all details.  If you want to email me, we could swap ideas on this conversion. Ive already converted my 230sl to 2.8 5 speed manual, but i used a 280se doner car which had the 3 side linkages and needed a large piece of transmision tunnel at the side and bottom cut out. This conversion will be good for 111 series as well. Ive put a picture of the overdrive box showing reverse light switch on the very top left. I think that is the way to tell that its not a dogleg 1 to 1 fifth box if your buying over the internet.

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, JACKSONVILLE
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008, 17:04:46 »
Hauser has a 280 with a 5 speed that we believe is a Getrag 265.  I am hoping he'll agree to let me look under his car to photograph the installation as well as gettinh some measurments.  

If you have ideas for specific measurement or observation requests, please let me know.

Ray
'68 280SL 4-spd Coupe
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2008, 04:12:45 »
ejm,
It's true you do need a bushing to adapt the pilot bearing. I had one made that pressed into the bearing itself.

I have found in order to keep everything lined up there needs to be a spacer about .750"(19mm) thick.

I made one that matched the outside front of the Getrag trans and slipped over the front input bearing retainer casting. I left the provision for the Getrag seal and sliced off the tube that the throwout bearing rides on just ahead of the seal.

Using the bell housing and throwout bearing tube from the 113 makes sure it all lines up properly.

That is where I stalled. My car is still shredded in restoration and I am working on a boat for the next 2 months. I shipped the transmission home a few weeks ago and probably will not touch it for the next year.