Author Topic: Future VW fate and it's impact on Pagoda values  (Read 12185 times)

RobSirg

• Gold
  • Australia, Victoria, Melbourne
Re: Future VW fate and it's impact on Pagoda values
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2015, 09:19:27 »
I hate to say I told you so.......well............actually..... "hate" is too strong a word ;D
1969 280SL Auto RHD 906G,  H'top 387H, Parchm't
1970 280SL Man. RHD Dark Red 542G, Bamboo MB Tex
1962 E Type Jag BRG with Tan
1974 White Alfa Spider 2000
2023 Range Rover
1982 280TE (my daily)
1967 Alfa Spider ("Duetto") Red
1977 Yellow 911 Targa
1991 Nissan Figaro
1959 190SL Black
1970 300SEL 3.5

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2015, 11:54:58 »
This just had to be coming..

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3259067/It-s-not-just-VW-Official-tester-claims-four-diesel-car-giants-break-toxic-emissions-limit.html
Well, not really.  I read the article and it has dramatic headlines saying that MB, Ford, BMW, etc are all cheating.  Well not exactly.  What I got out of the article is that a very different type of testing on real roads reads higher emissions on cars.  That isn't at all the same as designing cheat software to fool a specific test in "test mode".     Glancing around a bit more on the DailyMail website reminds me of glancing at the National Enquirer and other such rags at the super market checkout.

I think the BBC article  http://www.bbc.com/news/business-34340301  says similar things without the dramatics and sensationalism. 

I'm not seeing anything on BBC or CNN that suggests that anyone else is doing anything except designing cars to pass whatever the test is, and so far only VW is caught in cheating on the tests.
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2015, 01:19:44 »
There isn't anything legally wrong with designing a software system that passes the test.  The laws are written that the vehicle must meet a certain criteria.  Even if the car uses things like steering input to sense it's on the dynamometer being tested and it adjusts itself accordingly that still isn't against the law.  The US Environmental Protection Agency was very careful to use the words "Defeat Device"  with regards to VW  which means that when the vehicles were not being tested some emission control systems were being shut down and that unfortunately is a big no no.  Defeat device is a legacy going all the way back to the earliest days of catalytic converters where people would take them out or bypass them.  Of course some enterprising individuals came up with very slick converter replacement pipes.  the USEPA then passed rules against installing "defeat devices".  After that all the bypass pipes were re-branded "test pipes".
 BMW may have failed the same "real world" test performed by the university that discovered the problem with VW but unless they too have set the software up to disable one or more systems they are probably in the clear.