Author Topic: My Shift Knob is Broken! What are the thread dimensions for the shift lever???  (Read 6651 times)

uptheorg

The problem is that I have this cute little shift knob that looks the part, but it has a seam up the middle so it has cracked in half. I have used superglue to put it back together and after about fifteen shifts, it breaks again! I have decided to get a solid metal shift knob which can be found anywhere on the internet made out of metals like titanium, steel, brass, etc.

Ultimately, the knowledge that I want to get is what is the threading dimension of the SL shift lever -- the part that is circled in red here:

There is a "custom shift knob" outfit that gives several options for this threading as in the list here:

So here is the question: DOES ANYBODY KNOW THE THREADING DIMENSIONS AT THE TOP OF THE SHIFT LEVER?

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
So here is the question: DOES ANYBODY KNOW THE THREADING DIMENSIONS AT THE TOP OF THE SHIFT LEVER?
The shift lever is NOT threaded but grooved and the plastic ball is pushed on.
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

Tyler S

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, Encinitas
Replacement knobs are available. Part #1112680942. For anywhere between $40 and $130 depending on reproduction or MB.
You may want to try a 2 part epoxy and mend yours first.
The only aftermarket knobs that will work on these cars are the ones that have an allen grub set screw for affixing to the shift rod.
1968 (67) 250sl. 4 speed manual. DB180 Silver
1955 220 Cabriolet A. White Grey
2019 E450 Wagon. Majestic Blue
1936 Ford PU Flathead V8. Creme on tan interior.
1989 Volkswagen T3 Westfailia Campmobile. Dove Grey (blue)

uptheorg

Thank you all for your feedback on this.

The lever on my car is a NOS that was put in recently by my mechanic and I never saw the tip -- I assumed it was threaded but I guess it isn't? In that case, I will seek a custom piece that uses the set screw because these plastic ones are not durable enough for me. I have re-glued the knob several times (not just once) and it keeps breaking in a different place inside -- not at the spot where there is glue but elsewhere within the internal structure --

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
I think I have a used one. Black push on for an auto trans
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
uptheorg, What you have does not look like the stock Mercedes knob.  The stock knob is one piece without the groove in the equator.

Tyler S

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, Encinitas
The stock knob is one piece without the groove in the equator.

Actually its the other way around. The groove suggests it is a factory knob. At least on later cars.
1968 (67) 250sl. 4 speed manual. DB180 Silver
1955 220 Cabriolet A. White Grey
2019 E450 Wagon. Majestic Blue
1936 Ford PU Flathead V8. Creme on tan interior.
1989 Volkswagen T3 Westfailia Campmobile. Dove Grey (blue)

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
Actually its the other way around. The groove suggests it is a factory knob. At least on later cars.
Yeah, I think Tyler is right.  At least all of the knobs I have for Mercedes have the groove...
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

dirkbalter

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Corona
Talking about knobs, am I correct in assuming that the color of the knob used for the car, depended on the color of the steering wheel ordered? (White or black)
Dirk
66 230 SL
70 280 SEL
53 CHEVY 3100
18 C300 COUPE
05 HD FLSTNI

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
Talking about knobs, am I correct in assuming that the color of the knob used for the car, depended on the color of the steering wheel ordered? (White or black)
I don't think so but can't say for sure.  I've certainly seen a lot more cars with ivory steering wheels than with ivory shift knobs...   Actually, now that I think about it, I've never seen a car with an ivory shift knob.
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

dirkbalter

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Corona
Hey Scott,
My car (auto trans) came with an ivory knob for a 4-speed. I was under the assumption that it was an original knob just coming from a manual unit. That’s why I was asking. I am looking to replace the knob as well and if what you are saying is true, the replacement should be black if original?
Dirk
Dirk
66 230 SL
70 280 SEL
53 CHEVY 3100
18 C300 COUPE
05 HD FLSTNI

kampala

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Hermosa Beach
I was under the impression that if Option Code 551 was ordered from factory, then it would include White Wheel, White Shift Knob & White Seat back Lever tip.  I could be very wrong, as I just assumed that to be the case.   

Here's a photo (not my car) showing what i'm describing.   

250sl - later - manual
280sl - 1971 - Auto - LSD

Aslam

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
I was under the impression that if Option Code 551 was ordered from factory, then it would include White Wheel, White Shift Knob & White Seat back Lever tip.  I could be very wrong, as I just assumed that to be the case.   
I could be wrong also.  Hopefully someone can tell us the answer.
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

dirkbalter

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Corona
Yup, that would be interesting. The technical manual for option Code 551 only talks about steering wheel, not the knob or the lever button. BTW, I just saw that ivory aftermarket shifter knobs are offered.
Dirk
66 230 SL
70 280 SEL
53 CHEVY 3100
18 C300 COUPE
05 HD FLSTNI

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
Yup, that would be interesting. The technical manual for option Code 551 only talks about steering wheel, not the knob or the lever button. BTW, I just saw that ivory aftermarket shifter knobs are offered.
I've scored a lot of gear shift knobs over the years hunting junkyards, and a fair number of ivory steering wheels.  The cars I got them from didn't have the little seat handle thing, but it's the same as the turn indicator thing.  On column shift cars with ivory steering wheels I'm 90% sure that the column shifter and the turn signal handle are ivory.  On floor shift cars I _think_ the knobs are black.  But I was sourcing from W110, W111, W108 not W113.
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

AGT

• Senior
  • Scotland, Midlothian, Edinburgh
Hi

My manual gearbox 66 230SL has an ivory wheel and ivory shift knob. I though the shift knob was original but now not so sure. It is whiter and shinier than the wheel and does not “seat” very well on the lever. At some stage my car was also treated to a red horn pad to match the rest of the interior. I have got used to it.

Regards
Andrew
Andrew

1966 230SL

ejboyd5

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Southold, NY
Why not simply call Tom Hanson at the Classic Center and purchase the correct knob.

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Benz Dr.
Yeah, I think Tyler is right.  At least all of the knobs I have for Mercedes have the groove...

It makes sense when you stop and think about it. This was the 60's and MB balls were groovy.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 14:59:09 by Benz Dr. »
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

BaronYoungman

• Gold
  • USA, IL, Joliet
  • Veronica...
I know for a fact the automatic has vertical grooves on the inside to hold in on, and a single groove horizontally on the outside.
Bob
I know this because 4 or 5 years ago I bought out a shops unused  NOS parts and there were a few in original but dusty bags with Mercedes part stickers on them.  Sorry all were sold right away.
Bob "Baron" Youngman
1971 280 SL silver  1 car 0 boxes
1983 500sec Wheeler Dealer AMG Widebody
1985 500sec Paris Autoshow AMG coupe
1994 320sl wifes car
1988 560sec  Japan "Yakuza Car"

Jordan

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Jordan
I seem to recall that if the car came with an ivory wheel, the shift knob and the button on the end of the hand brake were also ivory.
Marcus
66 230SL  Euro 4 speed

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
I stand corrected.  I have a brand new knob at home that I swore had no groove.  I will have to dig it out when I get home.

uptheorg

Back to the original intent of the thread . . .

I glued my knob (with the horizontal seam) back together using two-part epoxy glue this time. It is now as solid as a rock. Thank you all for your help and interest.

Jim

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Benz Dr.
Hi

My manual gearbox 66 230SL has an ivory wheel and ivory shift knob. I though the shift knob was original but now not so sure. It is whiter and shinier than the wheel and does not “seat” very well on the lever. At some stage my car was also treated to a red horn pad to match the rest of the interior. I have got used to it.

Regards
Andrew

What's that shift knob from? 5 speed shift knobs have a different pattern than that one.
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC