Author Topic: Door Lock Cylinder  (Read 3544 times)

vande17941

• Senior
  • USA, CA, Newport Beach
Door Lock Cylinder
« on: November 20, 2017, 01:39:26 »
My driver's side door lock has been acting up...lubed it everything. Key turns and jams...takes 20min to wiggle it out. Is the cylinder able to removed from the door handle and worked on by an ordinary locksmith?
'66 USA (1967 model Year) 230sl, 4-speed Manual, Driven Like a Real Car! Set up with KYB Stiffer Shocks, and Motor Mounts w Urethane Inserts Underneath, 3-point Belts, Headrests Installed 🚗

1986 560sl Cabernet & Palomino (not recommended)

2001 SLK320 Sport AMG Silver & Black

Jordan

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Jordan
Re: Door Lock Cylinder
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 02:19:27 »
One of the wafers in the cylinder has probably broken.  Yes, door handle will need to be removed to get the cylinder out.  You could do it yourself if you have the time.  It has been discussed in previous threads.  If you do it yourself keep the key in the lock if you can when you withdraw the cylinder so the wafers and springs don't fall out.
Marcus
66 230SL  Euro 4 speed

vande17941

• Senior
  • USA, CA, Newport Beach
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 04:29:13 »
Yes....I have read as many posts as I can. But where do I get these wafers.....or is it something that just broke loose in there and I need to put it back together?

Any secret on getting the cylinder out, or will it be obvious when take off the handle?
'66 USA (1967 model Year) 230sl, 4-speed Manual, Driven Like a Real Car! Set up with KYB Stiffer Shocks, and Motor Mounts w Urethane Inserts Underneath, 3-point Belts, Headrests Installed 🚗

1986 560sl Cabernet & Palomino (not recommended)

2001 SLK320 Sport AMG Silver & Black

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 10:36:11 »
Look, I will add my two cents as I have gone through locks a couple of years ago. My headline would be: take it to the good locksmith.

If I could find a guy here in Poland who re-did my tumblers around the car to the key code from the data card (except fuel filler, which I ordered from Mercedes also by the key code) - you would definitely find one in the US. I am sure there are names on this forum. Bring the handle to them.

I would also be very careful with using lubricants in the locks. Usually you have improvement for a couple of weeks - then they pick up dust and get stuck. Unless you use some specific dry lubricant. The old method in my country for car locks, particularly ignition lock, is to take a soft thick pencil and rub it really well against the key cuts from tip to shoulder.

Last thought I would share refers to ignition locks - if it jams just once for a moment, it will jam for good rather sooner than later. Do not wait. Do not ask me how I learned it. :'(
Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

Jordan

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Jordan
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 12:35:00 »
Yes....I have read as many posts as I can. But where do I get these wafers.....or is it something that just broke loose in there and I need to put it back together?

I had the very same problem you are having.  There are 5 wafers in the cylinder that are arranged so they are specific for your car key.  One has probably broken and now pieces are preventing the lock/key from working properly.  I took mine apart and just removed the broken pieces and put the handle/lock back together.  Yes it is now missing a wafer and is a little easier for someone to pick but the key and lock work as they should.  I have taken apart many door handles and rekeyed the cylinders so they would match the key I had.  It is not terribly difficult, just make sure you make note or take pictures of each stage so you put it back together correctly. And as I said previously keep the key in the lock when you remove the cylinder so the wafers and springs do not drop out.  There are only maybe 4 different wafers and it is how they are arranged in your cylinder that makes it specific for your key.  I think the only place to get extra wafers is from another door handle.  I've tried them from other cars but they have slightly different thicknesses so I didn't bother using them.

Don't know if you found this thread but it shows some pictures of the cylinder, wafers etc.  https://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=19891.0

BTW, for me a better way of searching this forum over the search button is to go to Google and type in site:www.sl113.org/forums and then your search words.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 12:48:08 by Jordan »
Marcus
66 230SL  Euro 4 speed

Jordan

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Jordan
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2017, 14:22:19 »
One thing I forgot to add.  If you do this yourself, when you have the cylinder out and you want to remove the key, put your fingers over both sides of the cylinder where the wafers are located.  Withdraw the key and slowly lift your fingers.  If not the springs will throw the wafers out of the cylinder and you'll then need to figure out which wafer came out of which slot.
Marcus
66 230SL  Euro 4 speed