Author Topic: Charging light came on and speedo stopped at the same time..  (Read 3163 times)

lamakdaddy

Charging light came on and speedo stopped at the same time..
« on: February 03, 2013, 08:06:48 »
My charging light came on and the battery stopped charging and the speedo stopped working..all at the same time.. I am not sure if its coincedence. 

I checked the charge rate at the battery and its not increasing from 12.24v with the engine running. I checked the belts and they seem nice and tight (but not too tight!)  I can charge the battery via a charger and its holding its charge.  i also managed to swap the voltage regulator from another car and this had no effect.. I now have a new alternator to fit and hope this will cure the problem...

However, I am guesssing there is no link witht the electrics and speedo?  I see from the invoices that the speedo was rebuild in CA not so long ago.  I guess I need to check the cable as a first step?  Any tips or avice always appreaciated..

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
Re: Charging light came on and speedo stopped at the same time..
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 17:57:27 »
I'm not good at electrics but I would start by checking whether the alternator is putting out the proper current. Perhaps it's a wiring issue. Although when you reported the speedo and the charge problem occurred simultaneously I started worrying about the possibility that "something" had cut through some wires as well as through the mechanical cable that drives the speedo. Short of that, it would be purely coincidental that both problems occur simultaneously. Check both sides of the cable (transmission and gauge ends), perhaps one side has gotten disconnected.
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

lamakdaddy

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 20:30:56 »
Thanks. I changed the alternator today, I got a replacement from pelican parts for $115. It's refurbished by Bosch and is an easy fit. Charging problem is cured.  A bonus is that I have a beautifully finished alternator :). Will check speedo cable as next action

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 22:20:44 »
Great, good to hear the alternator was the problem, this new one should be good for many electrifying years. Good luck on fixing the cable, should be one of the easier things to contend with on these cars ...

Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II