Author Topic: Removing the outer window whiskers from door  (Read 3128 times)

Woodstock

Removing the outer window whiskers from door
« on: May 03, 2017, 14:24:22 »
Have removed the glass and attached the rear guide that was missing from the glass and reattached the front guide that was wedged in place with black electrical tape??  Both of these pieces were re-attached with "thin felt" and epoxy. 
Would like to replace both of the window whiskers.  The inner whisker was easily removed however the outer whisker removal procedure is not nearly as obvious.
Any help with providing the best procedure to remove the outer whisker would be appreciated.

mbzse

• Platinum
  • Sweden, Stockholm, Stockholm
Re: Removing the outer window whiskers from door
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 14:38:16 »
Quote from: Woodstock
.../... the best procedure to remove the outer whisker .../...
It is best done by means of plastic/nylon wedges such as these. Less chance of marring the paint finish...  The clips have barbs that makes them sit quite tight.

Be aware there are many bad repro whisker strips being offered...  look closely at the original ones and try to find good matches
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 07:49:04 by mbzse »
/Hans S

TJMart

• Silver
  • USA, NC, Matthews
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 20:30:00 »
Take pics of your whiskers before you start. It is not too bad using a screwdriver to remove the old whisker from the door. Some clips will stay with the whisker and some will stay attached to the door. Don't worry about damaging the old whisker just be careful with the clips. I purchased my whiskers from The MB classic center because they will cut them for you and ship them to minimize damage. Be very careful with the whiskers because the aluminum bends very easily. Measure the whisker length from the door exactly.  Attach all the clips to the door for proper spacing then gently install the whisker without bending it. The way the clips work is to be easy to install but difficult to remove.  Good Luck!
Tony
1970 280SL, 4 Speed

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 23:20:39 »
I believe that these pieces are normally sold by the meter. I use a bolt cutter to slice off the length I need because it makes a nice clean cut. Don't try to cut them with a hack saw or anything like that or you will find it doesn't work very well.
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

Tyler S

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, Encinitas
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2017, 02:35:58 »
I see in your picture that the outer door chrome strip is still attached. You will want to remove that first. You can remove it by inserting a long screwdriver underneath it from the end lengthwise at the rear of the door and gently pry up while working your way foreword.
1968 (67) 250sl. 4 speed manual. DB180 Silver
1955 220 Cabriolet A. White Grey
2019 E450 Wagon. Majestic Blue
1936 Ford PU Flathead V8. Creme on tan interior.
1989 Volkswagen T3 Westfailia Campmobile. Dove Grey (blue)

Woodstock

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2017, 14:00:51 »
Thanks for all the useful advice.