Author Topic: Tires Squeal in tight turns?  (Read 7197 times)

bpossel

Tires Squeal in tight turns?
« on: July 19, 2004, 19:14:16 »
Sorry for all of the questions, but trying to get to know my new baby...

When I make sharp, slow turns, ie. in the parking garage, pulling into my garage, the tires squeal...

The car has Michelin MX4 195/75/R14 tires installed.  I currently have the front and rear air pressure set at 32psi.

Inside the trunk lid (original sticker in trunk), it states 26 front and 32 rear.

What is correct?  Should I follow the trunk reading?  This would mean lowering the current pressure in the front wheels.

I always thought that when tires squeal that it indicates that the pressure is too low?

Confused...  any advice is greatly appreciated!
Bob

bpossel
Memphis, TN.
1971 280SL
Automatic, Light Beige, Cognac

hands_aus

• Platinum
  • Australia, Queensland, Brisbane
Re: Tires Squeal in tight turns?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2004, 06:16:05 »
Hi Bob,

The pressures quoted on your original boot sticker would be for the original size tyres of 185 HR 14 (80% profile)

Modern tyres with different treads and tyre wall/profile height and construction will require pressures stipulated by the tyre manufacturer.

Bob (Brisbane,Australia)
RHD,1967 early 250 SL, auto
Bob Smith (Brisbane,Australia)
RHD,1967 early 250 SL #114, auto, ps , 717,717
best of the best

George Davis

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2004, 08:14:37 »
I run 28 psi in the fronts, car feels a bit more stable on the freeway with that pressure.  I don't think the low speed squeal necessarily indicates low pressure, every car/tire combo I've ever had squealed in low speed turns, especially on concrete surfaces.

George Davis
'69 280 SL Euro manual

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2004, 08:43:24 »
I wouldn't worry too much about front tire squeal in parking garages at all.  Just about all cars do this.  The concrete floor in indoor spaces is generally finished to a smoother finish than outdoor concrete and does not weather and erode over time as it does outdoors.  The front tires do not both describe a perfect arc when at full lock so one tire will "scrub" a little, plus the the front tires may "push" a little on the smooth surface when you are turning, thus the squeal. If you think that your tire squeal is loud, you ought to hear what a turning car sounds like on a painted garage surface!

- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havanna Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

bpossel

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2004, 11:34:34 »
Thanks Mike, George, Hands_Aus (Bob).  All of your comments have helped!
Bob

bpossel
Memphis, TN.
1971 280SL
Automatic, Light Beige, Cognac