Author Topic: Polyurethane sway bar bushings  (Read 6655 times)

jeffc280sl

Polyurethane sway bar bushings
« on: July 15, 2004, 15:44:09 »
I just installed greaseable polyurethane sway bar bushings on my 1970 280SL.  I have not been able to find suitable bushings for the end links so those are still old OEM rubber.  It's my first impression that the front end is a lot tighter and precise with less body roll on turns.  I'm going to drive it some more and see how it performs.

I purchased Energy Suspension part #9.5156G bushings for $14.  I spoke with a tech at the company to see if they had a 20mm bushing in the sized bracket I needed.  They did not and suggested I go with a 3/4 inch  or 19.05 mm bushing which would compress during installation.  It was easy to install.  The only mod was to enlarge the adjustable slot in the bushing bracket to accommodate the bolt size on the SL.  I did the install with the wheel straight on a level surface without jacking the car.  Did not loosen the end links.  Was able to remove the old and install the new without any trouble.

I would be interested to here from others who have installed the Cox Racing bushings.  Were they 20mm or 3/4 inch?  What about performance?
I also have progressive springs.

Jeff C.
1970 280SL 4-speed

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
Re: Polyurethane sway bar bushings
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2004, 16:42:48 »
I installed the set from Cox Racing, and it came complete with the bushings for the end links. The installation was straightforward, although I did have to shorten the metal spacer tubes for the end links, to end up with the same installed 'length'. I don't know whether the size was 20mm or 3/4 inch. I imagine Cox Racing would be able to tell you the specs.
I did not notice much difference in the handling. My original rubber was still in good shape.

Cees Klumper in Amsterdam
'69 white 280 SL automatic
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

jeffc280sl

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2004, 16:50:41 »
Hello Cees,

Thanks for your thoughts.  Did the end link bushings mate with the sway bar properly.  They would need to be 34 mm in diameter to fit the sway bar properly.

Jeff C.
1970 280SL 4-speed

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2004, 16:54:16 »
Yes Jeff, the end link bushings went in just fine, they were the same size (diameter-wise) as the original ones. Only the thickness I believe was greater, which is why I had to shorten the metal spacer tubes. As I recall, the front bushing set was relatively inexpensive, but I don't recall the exact price.

Cees Klumper in Amsterdam
'69 white 280 SL automatic
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

Bob G

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2004, 17:25:21 »
I am in the process of just getting the suspension looked into. I got new Bilstein shocks and I am going to install the John Olson Progressive rate springs and the Cox sway bar bushing set. Does any one have any recommendations on alignment for the caster and camber . My car sits about 24 inches from the center of star to ground I would like to keep this ideal height so when another person and luggage are in the trunk the car will still maintain a good ride height.
I am running Michelin Rainforce MX4 185 TR 14 tires I would like to get some orginal bunnt alloy wheels and run a higher performance tire for summer weather when permitted this will allow me to extract the real performance from the suspension set up in time Mercedes- Gymcanias and some nice California canyon roads.
Bob Geco
« Last Edit: July 15, 2004, 17:32:55 by Bob G »

Tom

• Gold
  • USA, VA, Alexandria
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2004, 20:09:24 »
I installed the Cox bushings on the front and did not like the hard ride, so I went back to rubber.

I recently installed the Cox 30mm swaybar-wow!  The front is really tight.  I also have the progressive rate springs.

For those that do not want to go through the trouble and expense of progressive rate springs, try the 30mm swaybar.  I suspect it will give you alot of the handling benefits of the springs.

However, the combination of 30mm swaybar and progressive rate springs is magic.

Tom

1971 280sl Tunis Beige Metallic (restored & enhanced)
1971 280sl Tobacco Brown (low mileage stock)

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2004, 06:03:40 »
Guys, this thread is interesting to me, as one who isn't quite satisfied with the handling...

When discussing subjects like this, it would be very helpful if you can provide a website and contact information for the parts under discussion, such as this Cox sway bar and polyurethane bushings.

I'd like to investigate further.  Where do I find these parts?

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Signal Red w/Black Leather
Restored
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Tom

• Gold
  • USA, VA, Alexandria
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2004, 06:23:09 »
Michael,

I bought the bushings from Cox years ago-I don't have their contact data.

I bought the swaybar from a former enthusiast that sold his car before installing the bar-too bad, maybe he would have kept the car once he drove the car with the better handling.

One should consider that, as the currently soft suspension is adjusted, the ride over bumps is a little more harsh.  I love the new ride and the better control in turns, but it may not be for everyone.

Best,

Tom

1971 280sl Tunis Beige Metallic (restored & enhanced)
1971 280sl Tobacco Brown (low mileage stock)