Author Topic: 1968 280 SL suspension paint  (Read 3137 times)

NolaWrench504

1968 280 SL suspension paint
« on: May 28, 2016, 14:22:21 »
Restoring 1968 Mercedes 280 SL Attempting to locate information regarding the correct paints and colors to refinish  the front sub frame and suspension parts,the engine block,the intake manifold and valve cover.Any information regarding this subject is greatly appreciated. Thank you

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
Re: 1968 280 SL suspension paint
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2016, 01:50:55 »
This is a 2 part epoxy primer from Southern Polyurethanes without any top coat.  The owner of the company found out people were using it as a topcoat so he added UV protection to the formula.  Went on well,  filled well and has the perfect gloss.   Front axle was  assembled and painted as a unit so entirely black with no exposed cad plated bolts except The sway bar/front axle mounts, lower shock mounts etc.  Go here:    http://historic.motoringinvestments.com/   and enter the old site.  Under Mercedes you will find several original cars with underside shots.  Of particular interest would be the white 280 listed as the "Holy Grail" since this is in your age range.

Look for traces of the assembly line paint markings (Dotology) as you take it apart.  Front is fuzzy but mostly steering links etc.  The springs will have certain marks for differing spring rates.

The aluminum castings on the engine are raw aluminum.  No paint and no clear etc.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 09:49:52 by Shvegel »

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2016, 09:56:16 »
Here are a couple vintage engine photos for an M130 engine.  Although they are mostly black and white they are a good reference to what is painted and what is plated.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 10:42:44 by Shvegel »

wwheeler

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • USA, TX, Dallas
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2016, 20:38:57 »
Thanks for posting these pictures!

Question on the motoring "Holy Grail" car. On the underside shot, the Allen bolts on the lower oil pan are black as best I can tell. They should be yellow zinc I would think as black oxide wasn't used much on these later cars? They also appear to be yellow zinc on the engine shots that you provided.
So the point of all this is that it makes me wonder if the oil pan and or bolts were painted at a later date? What do you think?
Wallace
Texas
'68 280SE W111 coupe
'60 220SE W128 coupe
'70 Plymouth Roadrunner 440+6

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2016, 01:12:36 »
I think most of the Motoring Investment cars go through some "Detailing" before being photographed.  On pretty much every car you will see something that is painted that shouldn't be.  You don't want to take a picture of a rusty oil pan so a little paint and it's all black.