Author Topic: Milestones, My Dad is a Criminal, and he's gone Viral...  (Read 270 times)

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
So, a couple of years ago when my dad was just 100 years old, when he was leaving a VA (Veteran's Administration Hospital) appointment in Providence RI, he was "caught" by a red light camera, well, going through a red light. Some months later, he gets a summons in the mail to go to court. Thinking he's innocent (no sir, he's not...) he decides to show up anyway, maybe throw himself upon the mercy of the court.

As luck would have it, Dad finds himself in the courtroom of one Judge Frank Caprio. Little did he know that the court appearance was being filmed, and months later would appear on Judge Caprio's YouTube channel, "Caught in Providence". Let's say "it got a little airtime" then. Then, sometime last year, somehow "this episode" featuring my dad ended up on TikTok. Just a few months ago, it ended up being re-posted on [ultraconservative pundit] Ben Shapiro's website or some such. So, now, this video is being posted and reposted and like and what have you, on YouTube, on TikTok and on Facebook. Yes, in the past year it's gone viral.

As I'm not on these social media sites, I rely on what others tell me. Our friend and board member here David Robinson told me today that my dad showed up in his feed today...and David echoed some stats: 20,000 "loves" on one post. 12,500 comments on another. My sister told me today that one share had 3.4 million likes. It doesn't seem to be ending.

My sister could not keep up with all the notes coming in by Facebook Messenger to my dad thanking him for his part in liberating the Philippines from the Japanese occupation during WWII. She started answering them personally but had to give up as they were coming in by the hundreds.

Healthwise, Dad was doing OK until the end of last year, has been through a bit of a rough patch this first quarter of 2024, but is on the mend and is on track to celebrate birthday number 102 on June 14, 2024. He gets up and out and is busy every day. Just this week he had two social engagements with Veteran's Groups...and who shows up at one of them? Judge Frank Caprio!  Now, the Judge himself has been stricken with cancer and had to retire recently...but Dad and the Judge had a nice chat, this time as friends instead of defendant and Judge. See the photo.

Thought my Pagoda friends might enjoy this as a "Way Off Topic" diversion...

The viral video: https://youtu.be/4HnhjRrEXeA?si=i3bFZ9BwZYFrJEy-
« Last Edit: April 27, 2024, 23:33:34 by mdsalemi »
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

GM

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, CA, San Pedro
Re: Milestones, My Dad is a Criminal, and he's gone Viral...
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2024, 23:40:05 »
Mr. Beast makes $500-700M per year from YouTube videos
https://www.youtube.com/creators/how-things-work/video-monetization/
Gary
1971 280SL - Sold
(98 from the end of production)
DB180 Silver Gray Metallic
Black MB Tex

badali

• Platinum
  • USA, Pa, Butler
  • 1966 230SL
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2024, 23:52:10 »
I saw this a while back and didn't know it was your dad.  It's great that he is doing well.  I hope to be that well as I grow older.
Brad

1961 220 Sb
1966 230 SL
2019 E 450 4 Matic
2022 GLC 300 4 Matic

RAY

• Silver
  • United Kingdom, England, Bromley
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2024, 09:55:21 »
Great story.
Best wishes to your Dad.

Davek1

• Regular
  • United Kingdom, England, Wells
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2024, 12:21:14 »
Great story, you dads a real gentleman.

AndrewB

• Senior
  • United Kingdom, Channel Islands, Forest
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2024, 14:46:30 »
Brilliant story, thank you for sharing and kudos to your father
1969 280SL
1970 280SL (undergoing restoration)
1971 Range Rover Suffix A Kingsley Restomod
1987 500SL
2002 Porsche 996 Targa
2011 Landrover Defender TdCi
2019 Mercedes S560 Cabriolet