Author Topic: Member Feedback  (Read 55209 times)

Douglas

Member Feedback
« on: July 22, 2003, 18:22:59 »
It's only been a few short months for this club and this site, but these are very important, formative months. We'd like to know what you think so far. Please share your thoughts with us so we can understand what members want.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2006, 13:27:50 by Tom »

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
Re: Member Feedback
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2003, 18:42:19 »
As a new owner of a 113 (April 2003) I have found this to be an excellent source of information. It is fun to learn more about the car, and to be able to make some initial small contributions, and to realize just how much there is to learn. It should be a fun journey. Right now, I have to say I like the way the forum, etc are organized. The search function has been especially helpful.
Jonny B.
1967 250SL
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

dwilli3038

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2003, 19:19:13 »
I have found this club extremly helpful. I have received good information from the forums. I believe the eforts to develop good technical information for the members will only cause this club to increase its value as time goes on. "Pogoda World" was a most pleasent surprise. I expected much less.

I do like the way that we are getting together for meets and technical sessions. I am even getting used to logging in and looking through the various topics rather than having the convinience of the old YAHOO group e-mailing all post to me. Our board deserves so much  credit for what they have acomplished in such a short time!

THANK YOU!!!!

Daryl
'64 230 SL

Ricardo

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2003, 22:30:18 »
I'd have to agree that this site is working very well for me. I'm on a dial up connection (rural) and even though I often have to work with slow connections (16.8kbps) the pages come up quite quickly even with photos, someone has done a great job of setting things up. I wonder if there might be someway to steer new members through the existing body of info, to help with duplicate questions. It doesn't seem to be obvious how one can search through the back postings, or maybe that's just because I don't search much myself. I still find it odd that I have to use my previous button to get to the next newest post and wonder if everyone has this or if it's my computer somehow? Also a spell checker would be a nice addition.
Richard V

dwilli3038

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2003, 18:15:37 »
Hello Ricardo,
Just click on the "SEARCH" at the upper right hand area of the page. You can then put in phrases that you wish to search for. It workes rather well.

Daryl
'64 230 SL

Sphe

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2003, 16:01:26 »
This forum has been an incredible source of information! Thanks sl113.org!

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2003, 14:40:38 »
What do you guys think about the "Education on ..." threads?

Rodd
1966 230SL Euro
1994 E420
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL

Gerhard

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2003, 14:34:15 »
Hi Rodd,

Good idea, sounds like building an archive on the subsystems of our beautiful Pagodas. Hope to see a lot of detailed pictures and how-to's! It might be usefull to set a standard for the information published, like step by step manuals. Interested to see reactions of fellow members.

Gerhard
1965 230SL
« Last Edit: August 05, 2003, 14:37:38 by Gerhard »

blairwag

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2003, 19:46:32 »
Richard Madison turned me onto this web site, after I stumbled onto his web page a few months ago. This site, and it's members, have been the single most informative source of information and help regarding my 280SL that I've had the pleasure of being exposed to. I love this place!

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
William Blair Wagner: blairwag@earthlink.net
Education is not always knowing the answer,
...but rather knowing where to look for it!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

n/a

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2003, 02:22:05 »
 8)

The site is great, although I have not yet been able to give any advise I am deeply greatful for the advise recieved -
Claire
1971 280sl ( IN BITS !!! ) soon to be great !!

Claire Lambert

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2003, 14:41:40 »
On Wednesday, we "signed up" our 100th full member: Bruce Kaiser of Watervliet, New York. A small milestone!
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

France

• Silver
  • Austria, Vorarlberg, Schruns
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2003, 08:33:12 »
Well, I know I'm piling in late, but I just became an official member last week.  I expect my info package and badge in the mail any day (right, Cees?)

This forum has already been a great help.  The search finds all sorts of info on keys (my first problem) and told me not to worry that the tranny is a little stiff.  I'm really going to have fun with this car, which doesn't need much fixing up to be perfect.  Thanks to the folks who set this up for all of us!

Cheers,
Trice

My tastes are simple:  I am always satisfied with the very best...a Pagoda -- Oscar Wilde
(Well OK, no, he didn't say a Pagoda; I made that part up.  But if Pagodas had existed in the late 1800s, he would have driven one!)
Trice
1968 280SL US, signal red/bl leather, auto, kinder seat
Austrian Alps
Think of your Pagoda as a woman with a past...

Douglas

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2003, 20:31:04 »
Trice,

I disagree. I see Wilde as more of a Facel Vega man..... or perhaps a Bizzarini or something equally obscure and flashy.

(Okay, I digress.)

Douglas Kim
New York, NY

kns

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2003, 04:28:25 »
Douglas, since you're digressing, what have you got against the Type 57 Bugatti "Atlantic" ??!!

kns.
1965 230SL, Manual
[1965 220SEb Coupe, Man.]

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2003, 02:27:49 »
Saw a 230SL parked near home over the weekend and thought..."wouldn't it be good to have them sign up on the SL Group? More members, more sharing of ideas, more opportunities to get together"

But, how do we let them know the group exists?

How about a business card (or similar ) - perhaps that could be (downloaded and) printed by members - which they can then keep handy and drop under the windscreen wiper of other SLs

Just a thought
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

Douglas

« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2003, 03:09:06 »
A good thought, Tosh. In fact, we've been talking about this very idea for awhile. It's in the works......

Douglas Kim
New York, NY

Bob G

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2004, 13:35:32 »
Ultimately I think what we really hope will happen is a more user friendly work shop manual and a book or CD about our cars. It seems these are not a welcome site to most mechinic shops and loosely granted emunity at the Mercedes-Benz dealerships. In my time that I have shared with these other members I have learned way more than I could on my own. That in it self I tell new owners of these cars I talk to it work its weight in gold. It soft of like having a personal life raft that keeps you a floot through the mercky times when things go wrong. A post can give you some bearning and make the problems not such a big problem to deal with any more.
For that I feel the membership to this group has already paided off for my self this first offical year.
Bob Geco
1968 280SL
113 044 12  00 1906

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2004, 14:46:32 »
The site has been very busy lately - this is probably a sign that our cars are coming back out of hibernation (called 'winter sleep' in Dutch) which is good news not only for us but also for all who like seeing us pass by on the highways and byways.

Cees Klumper in Amsterdam
'69 white 280 SL automatic
Cees Klumper
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

France

• Silver
  • Austria, Vorarlberg, Schruns
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2004, 06:25:39 »
Cees,

Thanks for giving us the occasional topic that even us technically challenged can participate in... like car names.  Some time in the near future I will have to draw on the technical sections, as I would like to install retracting seatbelts in place of the Kangols that I'd like to strangle someone with.  But meanwhile it is good to get inspiration from the many people on the forums who clearly love these 113s, even if the topic is lightweight.  It seems there is no end to our desire to talk about our adored!

Trice
1968 280SL US, signal/bl leather, auto
Trice
1968 280SL US, signal red/bl leather, auto, kinder seat
Austrian Alps
Think of your Pagoda as a woman with a past...

hauser

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2004, 13:09:02 »
I have been a member for only a few weeks although I had been checking it out from time to time. I think it's a great website with a wonderful group of people where everyone contributes promoting for a better understanding of our cars. A place you can come to and see the light at the end of that tunnel. Discuss problems get solutions and adress any issues you're having. Why go through trial and error when you have such a great organization as this to help you along the way.

There is one very important part, (at least to me) and that is everyone who participates is acknowledged. Unlike so many of other forums/clubs where it's always the same group from a particular region.  Here, everyone seems to have their say and no one is left out. No matter where they are from!

This is truly one of the best organizations to be a part of not only for the Pagoda owner but anyone who has the passion for these beautiful automobiles.

Membership may cost $30.00 but the satisfaction you get for being a part of this is priceless :D .

1969 280sl 5 spd        1999 ML320          Gainesville,Fl.

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2004, 14:21:18 »
Thanks for the positive feedback Hauser.

Actually the paid ("full") membership is voluntary. The basic membership is free and allows posting to the forums, access to all but the full member registry. Full members receive our printed quarterly, Pagoda World, they can vote in the annual elections and other club business, and can stand for election to the board themselves.

We are currently working on providing other benefits. So it's the full members who decide on the direction of the Group, can influence important decisions etc. Plus ... since we do not have any advertising or other income from the website, it is the full members who make the running of the website possible. This does not cost a lot, but still that money has to come from somewhere.

The board members are all volunteers, and the only costs we have are truly out-of-pocket. To date, about one-third of the total membership have decided to become full members. It is our hope, of course, that more decide to become full members, but again this is purely voluntary.

As for the participation on the forums, that's indeed completely 'open'. The only barrier to some may be the English language. We are currently working on establishing a foreign-language (Spanish) discussion forum as a test, to see whether that will be a benefit to Spanish-speaking members. If it is a success, we could add French, and maybe even German, later on. To be continued !

Cees Klumper
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

ted280sl

• Silver
  • USA, NY, New Rochelle
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2004, 08:59:13 »
I enjoy participating on the website and have met several members. Some members I have met at local events. I have also met members from other countries while I was on vacation. Albert in Barcelona met me for coffee and Mark in Sydney took me for a ride in his right hand drive Pagoda. I travel a good amount and would love to meet more of the members but, it is dificult because the member's list cannot be sorted by country, state or city. If these sort capabilities could be added it would work better for me.
Thank you,
Ted
I'm headed for Norfolk, Virginia this afternoon. Any local Pagodaphiles interested in exchanging tales?

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2004, 16:34:37 »
Hello Ted. Actually the membership list can in fact be sorted by country. Then, within a country you can click on the members located there, and send an email to those who have put their email address in their profile (not visible to the viewer, but you can send them an email). For the US, this would not be very effective since there are so many members located there, but it's a start. The board is now looking into the possibility of expanding the sorting capabilities / providing some sort of membership roster.

Cees Klumper
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

rwmastel

• Platinum
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2004, 20:14:17 »
Members,

Here's a chance to provide some feedback in the "Membership Feedback" forum!

Regarding the possible decision to publish a better Membership Directory than what we already have (located at http://www.sl113.org/forums/members.asp), there are many questions.

What information would be published in a Membership Directory?

Would it only be available on-line?

Would it be in a printable format?

Would it have to include every member, or would members be asked to volunteer their information to be listed?

Would it include only dues-paying Full Members (now about 200), or all members registered on the Discussion Forums (now about 800)?

What privacy concerns need to be dealt with?

Tell us your thoughts.

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
Rodd

2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL

rwmastel

• Platinum
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2004, 10:08:21 »
No replies in just over two weeks.  So, should we (the Board of Directors) take this to mean that no changes to the current on-line membership directory are needed?

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
Rodd

2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL