Author Topic: Fuel Injection Pump Oil leak - Repair Info request  (Read 670 times)

esilva

• Junior Level
  • USA, CA, Palo Alto
Fuel Injection Pump Oil leak - Repair Info request
« on: January 27, 2024, 02:18:23 »
I have oil leak that appears to be coming from connection between FIP and engine block.  I've been told by 1 mechanic that it is a 6 hour job and another mechanic that it is a 10-12 hour job to replace the fuel injection pump gasket because it requires several other engine component removals.  Can anyone share their experience with this type of repair and provide feedback on the labor required for this job.   I'd appreciate a gut check from this knowledgeable community before I invest in this repair.  Could someone outline what needs to be removed in order to change this gasket? I think the FIP must be re-timed after the procedure? Please recommend the part # for the gaskets that need to be replaced and where they can be purchased.  I've done searches for this type of repair on this forum but have not been able to find more detailed info.
'69 280 SL

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
Re: Fuel Injection Pump Oil leak - Repair Info request
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2024, 09:42:21 »
Gasket, 2pcs, A 199 077 02 79, about $2, available at Mercedes dealers.

Sometimes oil leaks there are because the insulating plate cracked or got deformed. In case you chose to have it at hand: A 129 074 01 81, ca $50 at Mercedes dealers. The availabilities and prices I am quoting are for Europe, but should not differ significantly in the US.

They are also available at, e.g. Authentic Classics.

May want to have a couple of, I think, 8mm copper sealing rings for oil line that may need to be disconnected.

I am not a mechanic, I did replacement of these gaskets myself, but I did it together with some other fixes around, so difficult to judge how much time it would take a professional to do just this. My guess would be closer to 6 hours or less.

I think it is indeed important to double check the FIP timing on assembly, just in case.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2024, 10:12:50 by Pawel66 »
Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

Aart

• Junior Level
  • Netherlands, Gelderland, Arnhem
  • Hi there! I'm the proud owner of a 250SL 1967
Re: Fuel Injection Pump Oil leak - Repair Info request
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2024, 11:33:26 »
I built out my FIP a few months ago. It needed a major revision. For me it was the first time to do it, so I had to figure out a few things. Also, I took my time. After having removed a part, or disconnected a hose, linkage or wire, I took pictures, labeled parts, reflected on the next step. And of course all parts that came out were cleaned. Mine is a 250SL, which has a heat exchanger right under the pump. This prevented access to third of the three bolts with which the pump is attached to the block from below. It took me time to figure out how to undo that bolt, as none of my tools seemed to be useful. Until I found the right one, after which it was simple. I also spent quite some time on getting the fuel lines neatly back in place (start with cylinder 1 and 2 first). And on screwing the rear braked on again, as the thing did not seem to fit anymore. And I prepared a few hoses to replace old ones. One can expect such things to happen, even in well-built cars like ours. And they do take time.

Removing and reinstalling the FIP of a Pagode (the 230, 250 and 280SL each have their own peculiarities; see our technical manual) is a straightforward job that should not be difficult for an experienced mechanic. But unexpected difficulties will occur and solving them is  time consuming. Cleaning parts takes time also. I would think that 10-12 hours is a better estimate than 6 hours.
Aart