Author Topic: Engine mount/Transmission Mount and SubFrame mounts...'68 280SL  (Read 1539 times)

Matt_H

• Junior Level
  • Canada, British Columbia, North Vancouver
Searched the site before asking but really want confirmation of my finding in one spot for reference if possible for me and others (thanks for helping). My mechanic indicated that the engine mounts had sagged and should be replaced, so was going to do that. Then in reading the site it seems to be advised that transmission mounts and subframe mounts could/should be done at the same time to prevent issues and not have an issue with the hood not hitting the engine when closing. My car runs/drives just fine but needs some TLC so I assume this will not be the easiest to do and will have mechanic professional do all (I do not have tools anyways). I will be using genuine Mercedes parts where possible and just want to confirm parts/kits needed, and have a couple questions from those that may have ordered these in the past. Essentially I want to gather the parts for the mechanic, hand them over with the car and not have hiccups.

Engine Mounts - Part Number 110-220-02-17
1. Does this kit come with mounts for both sides? And does it require all the hardware needed?

Transmission Mounts 120 223 04 12
1. I have seen reference to small and large (the above is the small) and the listing says this fits my car...correct?
2. These seem to be similar to the engine mount and are sometimes listed as engine mounts.
3. Are these individual under that part number? Do I need two? Does it have all the parts required inside to do?

SubFrame Mounts - seen two different kits that could be used 108-330-02-75 and 113-586-00-33
1. My understanding from searching is that the 108 can be used if you retain the plates and the bolts. Should I be concerned that these retained pieces might be in poor condition and be best to go with the 113 part?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2023, 17:45:47 by Matt_H »

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
Re: Engine mount/Transmission Mount and SubFrame mounts...'68 280SL
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2023, 17:18:02 »
Trans mount is the same part as a 190SL motor mount.

I've used the cheaper brand of sub frame mounts and found that they won't hold up after a couple of years so I only use MB parts for that job.

Keep the plates and use their new hardware.

1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

Matt_H

• Junior Level
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2023, 17:29:16 »

Keep the plates and use their new hardware.

Thanks for the response :)

The issue I have read is the bolts are longer on the 113 part vs the 108 part as the 108 does not have the plates (correct)? I guess I have also read that old bolts may need to be replaced so a bit concerned about that. Thoughts?

TJMart

• Silver
  • USA, NC, Matthews
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2023, 20:06:09 »
Searched the site before asking but really want confirmation of my finding in one spot for reference if possible for me and others (thanks for helping). My mechanic indicated that the engine mounts had sagged and should be replaced, so was going to do that. Then in reading the site it seems to be advised that transmission mounts and subframe mounts could/should be done at the same time to prevent issues and not have an issue with the hood not hitting the engine when closing. My car runs/drives just fine but needs some TLC so I assume this will not be the easiest to do and will have mechanic professional do all (I do not have tools anyways). I will be using genuine Mercedes parts where possible and just want to confirm parts/kits needed, and have a couple questions from those that may have ordered these in the past. Essentially I want to gather the parts for the mechanic, hand them over with the car and not have hiccups.

Engine Mounts - Part Number 110-220-02-17
1. Does this kit come with mounts for both sides? And does it require all the hardware needed?

Transmission Mounts 120 223 04 12
1. I have seen reference to small and large (the above is the small) and the listing says this fits my car...correct?
2. These seem to be similar to the engine mount and are sometimes listed as engine mounts.
3. Are these individual under that part number? Do I need two? Does it have all the parts required inside to do?

SubFrame Mounts - seen two different kits that could be used 108-330-02-75 and 113-586-00-33
1. My understanding from searching is that the 108 can be used if you retain the plates and the bolts. Should I be concerned that these retained pieces might be in poor condition and be best to go with the 113 part?

I would highly recommend that you use Mercedes mounts for all three you speak of. Aftermarket parts are not the quality and not the specifications of Mercedes parts. Also do all three at once. The motor mounts and the transmission work together to maintain the proper level of the engine as well as keeping the flex disc properly aligned as well as your drivetrain.

For the subframe mounts the part number for the 108 is a kit that includes both mounts. Mine were done 28 years ago and are still in great shape. You may want to confirm that they are still sold as a kit with that part number.

My engine mounts are still in great shape also after 28 years.

I used an aftermarket transmission mount (only one needed) and it collapsed within 5 years, was not the correct height and caused my flex disc to fail, which was costly to repair because of the other damage caused. Wasn't worth the few dollars I saved on an aftermarket.
Tony
1970 280SL, 4 Speed

Bonnyboy

• Gold
  • Canada, BC, North Vancouver
  • 1969 280sl Euro 4sp LSD
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2023, 23:26:56 »
Matt,  if you are going to do this yourself give me a call and I can show you on my car what I did so you get an idea of whats involved.  Get a big prybar and work in the middle of your garage.

Ian
Ian
69 280SL
65 F-100
73 CB750K
75 MGB
78 FLH
82 CB750SC
83 VF 1100C
94 FLHTCU
08 NPS50
12 Pro 4X

Ben Roberts

• Junior Level
  • Australia, South Australia, Adelaide
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2023, 02:35:08 »
With the transmission mount at least, a shorter one still gives you room to add a shim to align the driveshaft/flex disc to the output shaft. Whatever mount you buy, you will likely have to check this, and has been previously posted, some of the replacement ones seem to be way off (too tall) for the drive shaft/flex disc/transmission output shaft to be aligned successfully on a 280SL. Maybe the sellers could/should provide mount dimensions?

Regards,
Ben , Adelaide, Australia, 69/70 280SL, 906G, 904G

stickandrudderman

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Richmond
    • http://www.colinferns.com
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2023, 12:32:23 »
My advice is to change ALL rubber parts at the same time. That means engine & transmission, sub frame, rear axle mount and swing arm bushes.
Only then do you get the full benefit of all new parts working in harmony to give you "as new" ride quality
« Last Edit: October 06, 2023, 14:31:31 by stickandrudderman »

Matt_H

• Junior Level
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2023, 14:16:27 »
My advice is to change ALL rubber parts at the same time. That means enhine & transmission, sub frame, rear axle mount and swing arm bushes.
Only then do you get the full benefit of all new parts working in harmony to give you "as new" ride quality

Thanks for the advice! doing a quick search...

When you say "real axle mount" does this translate to part ID 110-350-06-75 for the 280SL - I read it fits? Link to classic center item https://classicparts.mbusa.com/oem-parts/mercedes-benz-rear-sub-frame-mount-1103500675

and for "swing arm bushes" these what you mean? https://classicparts.mbusa.com/oem-parts/mercedes-benz-rubber-bushing-110352106564

Again appreciate everyone's thoughts and contributions. There is a lot of info here and consuming it all is super helpful for people like me that are not that "mechanically knowledgeable" ;)