Author Topic: Position "P" on auto box  (Read 6526 times)

rwaw

Position "P" on auto box
« on: April 13, 2003, 13:10:37 »
Dear all,

Auto gearbox works a treat, however when engine just started the car won't hold with lever in "P".
The car will run down an incline when brakes released and a faint clicking sound is heard.
As soon as engine has run for just 5 minutes all's perfect.
Fluid level etc OK.
Surely this is not normal ? :(

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
Re: Position "P" on auto box
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2003, 18:54:57 »
Hello rwaw,
Either your shift linkage bushings are worn or the shift rod needs to be adjausted. I believe lengthening the rod will cure the problem.

Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

graphic66

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2003, 07:32:51 »
My 66 SL would be erratic when placed in park, sometimes it would be OK and sometimes it wouldnt hold. When I inspected the linkage, I found on the left side of the tranny 2 10mm bolts holding the linkage were loose and were sliding. This is an adjustement point and I followed the adjustement procedure in the BBB and it has been fine ever since. The final adjustement was the switch on the firewall for the backup lights and start only in park, this was best performed with 2 people, one to watch the backup lights and one to adjust.

rwaw

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2003, 08:20:59 »
Following the last reply:
Presumably these loose bolts on left hand side transmission are accessible from underneath ?
What's the BBB ?
And where is this switch on the firewall re backup lights/strat in "P" only ?
Thanks

graphic66

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2003, 16:04:09 »
The BBB is the Mercedes service manual that covers these cars. The title is Service Manual Maintenance, Tuning, Unit replacement Passenger Cars starting August 1959 order # 6510140213. The book is about $150.00+, you can find them on EBAY for less sometimes. The book is a must if you plan on working on you car. The bolts are on the left side of the tranny and are on the lever attached to the shifter rod from the selector lever. The follwing is the procedure:Remove shift rod.  Set range selector lever to "O,"  in doing so make sure that between "O" stop of sleeve and selector lever a play of approx. 1 mm. exists.  Loosen fastening bolts for additional lever so far that the adjusting mark on its upper oblong hole is alingned with the bolts for additional lever so far that the adjusting mark on its upper oblong hole is aligned with the center line of range selector lever, tighten fastening bolts.  The additional lever on model 230SL is so adjusted that the center lines of both levers are aligned. Press shift rod on bearing pin on additonal lever. Adjust adjusting lug so that it coincides with the bearing pin on selector lever bottom section.  Fine adjustment is possible on the two oblong holes of additional lever, if required.  Press shift rod on selector lever bottom section.  The cable pulls which operate the starter lock and reversing light switch, must be so adjusted that starting of the engine is only possible in selector lever positions "O" and "P".  The starter must be locked in all other positions.  In addition, the reversing lights should light up in selector lever position "R".  If required, adjust on adjusting stop. The additional lever is the lever on the side of the tranny that the linkage hooks to from the selector lever, the linkage wiil just pop of the lever for adjustement. The switch is located on the firewall in the engine bay next to the brake boost unit mounted on the firewall and connected to the tranny via a cable to the additional lever and has two nuts that loosen to adjust the cable lenght. This may not make much sense without the BBB diagram to go with it. I hope it helps You may just end up adjusting the lever until it works good then adjust the cable to the switch on the firewall until you get the BBB. Mine were loose and it was fairly simple after deciphering the German to English translation in the book. Another handy book is the Automatic Transmission with Two Planetary Gear Sets Manual #25-Supplement Nov 63- Workshop Manual Passenger Car Models 1959, which is probably impossible to get, Keep your eyes open on EBAY, thats where I purchased mine and it has every detail of the transmission possible.