Author Topic: Recommendation for PPI  (Read 1490 times)

gullwing71

Recommendation for PPI
« on: August 12, 2019, 23:47:31 »
Guys/Gals,
Please, can you let me know someone in the NY/CT area who can do a Pre-Purchase-Inspection (PPI) for me in the next few months?  Car is in NY area.
Hopefully, someone with detailed knowledge of Pagodas.  As we all know, Rust then rust and then rust are the first 3 obvious issues to look for, then some!

How much should I expect to pay and what report(s) are provided.
Finally, would you consider mobile mechanics who you can find on Google?
Thanks!

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
Re: Recommendation for PPI
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2019, 07:47:35 »
I wouldn't use anyone who doesn't have specific experience of the body of the W113.  There are far to many places these cars rust and that can become a bottomless pit.  Engines, transmissions and the like are finite expenses However, the body can very easily become a pit of despair.  If you get stuck I will be on Long Island and in Manhattan in September and would be happy to look it over for free if it is anywhere reasonable for me to reach.  I am a former BMW mechanic instructor and bodyman who is currently restoring what was once a very rusty car.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 07:51:51 by Shvegel »

MikeSimon

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, North Royalton
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2019, 11:58:48 »
In order to see some of the rust, you may have to do some disassembly of panels and covers. You have to know where to look.
1970/71 280SL Automatic
Sandy Beige
Parchment Leather
Power Steering
Automatic
Hardtop
Heated Tinted Rear Window
German specs
3rd owner

KevinC

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2019, 12:51:42 »
I have owned two pagodas in 15 years. When I set out to buy the first one, I was traveling all over the US at the time in sales so I looked at every clean example that I could find based on where my travels took me. I looked at cars in CT, NY, IL, FL and CA. I ended up buying my first in California and can tell you now that many west-coast cars are in better shape than their rust-belt counterparts due to no road-salt exposure. I am not saying that I didn't have to do my due-diligence, but just that rust was less of a factor based on climate. I found car #1 on Roy Spencer's site...

https://mercedesheritage.com/classifieds

I "found" car #2 in western Massachusetts but that car had been brought to the area from northern CA and then parked for 17 years. Again, rust was a non-issue.

So even though flights and shipping can add up, the cost paled in comparison to potential rust-repair.