Author Topic: Yet ANOTHER eBay Scam...  (Read 3561 times)

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Yet ANOTHER eBay Scam...
« on: March 30, 2006, 14:52:17 »
I just completed a legitimate transaction on eBay where I sold my boat.  The winning bidder paid a deposit via PayPal; came and saw the boat and paid the balance legitimately with a bank check after we made sure all was in order.

Sadly, however, one of the "losing" bidders was contacted outside of eBay for a "second chance" offer from someone claiming to be me.  They paid the full "asking price" (it was the losing bidder's maximum amount of $5,500)via a single Western Union wire transfer.

Of course there was no boat and now there's no money either.  Some eBay lessons are worth repeating.

1)  Never, ever buy a titled object (car, boat) or anything substantial without looking at it.  Until you see it and touch it you don't know its real.

2)  Only make a deposit with Paypal or a charge card, and make sure you get an invoice/receipt--no other means.  It is the only way you can protect your deposit.  Avoid sellers who won't use PayPal for a deposit.

3)  Never complete the transaction until all is in order--title, bill of sale, etc.  Pay with a bank check.  Cash is not safe in large amounts.

4)  Stick to the rules.  If you don't like eBay's rules and fees, go elsewhere.  They are there for a reason.  If something has been listed on eBay, and somebody is offering it to you outside of eBay, steer clear.

5)  Any legitimate correspondence on an eBay item will show up in "My eBay" in "My Messages".  If it doesn't it isn't legitimate communication and you should ignore it.

The person who got scammed here broke all these rules and lost $5,500.  He paid in full via Western Union.  He didn't see the boat.  He didn't see the actual title, and he tried to do a deal "outside" of the eBay rules--trying to save some money.  In the end it cost him big time.

I just spent 30 minutes on the telephone with the Tuscarora (Michigan) Township Police Chief explaining these items.

This same kind of stuff happens with cars, particularly in-demand collector cars, all the time so it bears repeating if only for those new members here.

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Signal Red w/Black Leather
Restored
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Ed Cave

Re: Yet ANOTHER eBay Scam...
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2006, 15:16:23 »
Michael:

Things thaw out up there?  8)

They must have because you are back! I think I speak for all of us when I say we welcome the return of your insight and occasional banter. ;)

Ed Cave
Atlanta, GA

1971 280SL
1973 911S
2004 A4 3.0
2006 GS430

joelj

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2006, 07:15:50 »
Thanks for the heads up :)

Ben

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2006, 07:28:38 »
Thanks Michael I hadn't heard of that particular scam before !

I was actually contacted by a seller today who asked if I wanted to buy his car which failed to meet its reserved price ! I wondered about doing the deal outside eBay and decided not to persue it !

I told him I would bid again if he re-listed !

Regards,
Ben in Ireland.
'64 230SL 4sp.