Author Topic: Flex disc  (Read 6614 times)

gvillayandre

Flex disc
« on: April 05, 2013, 21:03:35 »
Hi all,

I have a question about the flex disc mounted between transmission and propeller shat.

I have jack the car today and have a look into it and looks like squeezed.
To my eyes is like the transmission is getting some space from the propeller shaft.

Is this correct?

Can this be adjusted? I see that the transmission rubber mount leaves some space to be moved to front or backwards.

I will post some pictures.

gvillayandre

Re: Flex disc
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 21:15:31 »
Here is one picture

w113dude

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 12:25:33 »
I was talking about this with a friend about my car yesterday, it looks that your flex is a bid under stress, what I did was to loosen the big nut that holds the two shafts together go for a drive come back and then tighten it, this way it will find itself where its suppose to be.

mbzse

• Platinum
  • Sweden, Stockholm, Stockholm
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 12:52:25 »
Quote from: w113dude
.../...loosen the big nut that holds the two shafts together go for a drive come back and then tighten it.../...
The torque for this 46mm nut is specified to 20 to 30 Nm by M-B workshop literature - i.e. quite a light torque
/Hans in Sweden

« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 16:55:26 by mbzse »
/Hans S

gvillayandre

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2013, 13:20:15 »
Hi guys,

Does it means that first propeller shaft can be adjusted in length?

Are both bolts 46 mm?

Thank you!

450sl

• Silver
  • Netherlands, Gelderland, zelhem
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2013, 16:19:06 »
Maybe your rearenginemount has collapsed? 

George Des

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2013, 16:52:08 »
It does look a bit under stress. I don't think it will be totally flat against the flange but that does appear too much. The book suggests attachin the driveshaft loosely lowering the car and letting the shaft seeks its correct length by loading and unloading the suspension and rolling back and forth a few times before tightening the big nut. There is also provision for shimming the rear transmission mount if this doesn't fix it.

mbzse

• Platinum
  • Sweden, Stockholm, Stockholm
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2013, 17:18:35 »
Quote from: gvillayandre
Does it means that first propeller shaft can be adjusted in length?
Shaft adjusts its length itself as needed, by sliding along the splines. If this is tight (fixed length) you will have stress forces and vibrations in the vehicle.
Important to follow George's tip and not tighten rubber bushings on rear axle, if you renewed those, and this 46mm nut until the chassis has "set" itself properly.

Are both bolts 46 mm?
The hex grip dimension on the nut is 46mm. The hex grip on the shaft itself is 42mm

/Hans in Sweden

« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 22:23:30 by mbzse »
/Hans S

450sl

• Silver

gvillayandre

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2013, 19:17:13 »
Hi all,

I will do what georges says!!

I will lossen connecting Big Nut and also the central propeller saft bearing.

The rear engine mount looks new. Previous owner told me that he had to replace it.

I have seen the sls web page for engine mounts, but my German is not as good enough to understand the info topic.
Can someone give me light in order to understand it?
How I know engine/trans/propellershat are aligned?
How can I adjust alignment if it is not correct?

Thank you in advance all your feedback is beeing very helpful.

Tomnistuff

• Gold
  • Canada, Qc, Levis
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2013, 20:08:31 »
Here's a site that will help with translations.

http://translate.google.com/

Just identify the source language as german, identify the target language as whatever you want and retype the German text into the left box.  The target language translation will appear on the right almost instantly.  It's not perfect but it's better than total ignorance and guessing.  Mine comes up in French because I live in Quebec, and I haven't figured out how to get it to come up in English yet.

Good luck,

Tom Kizer
Apparently late 1966 230SL 4-spd manual (Italian Version)
Owned since 1987 and wrapping up a full rotisserie restoration/modernization.
Was: Papyrus White 717G with Turquoise MBtex 112 and Kinderseat
Is: Dark Blue 332G with Dark Blue Leather (5300, I think)

George Des

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2013, 22:15:08 »
I have seen the SLS diagram you are talking about and was also curious as to how you can realistically measure the degree of bend under there. Pretty clear that it should be as straight as possible and I'm sure shimming is the way to do it. In my opinion though, being able to determine How to measure it is the key. Perhaps it is as simple as sighting down the length of the shaft and declaring victory if it looks straight, but knowing the German's stickler for detail this can't be all there is.

450sl

• Silver
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2013, 08:33:05 »
the driveline should be aligned by using shims after replacing mounts .  the sls link shows you where to aim at

gvillayandre

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2013, 18:37:23 »
Any special tool or procedure to align the driveline?

Tomnistuff

• Gold
  • Canada, Qc, Levis
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2013, 22:13:22 »
It looks to me like, in the SLS sketches, the only vertical adjustment they are considering is the rear of the transmission.  All of the other supports are shown in blue and don't change from sketch to sketch.  Only the trans mount is shown in red (bad) or green (good).  I plan, when I put mine back together, to install and tighten everything but the flex disc to front prop shaft and the front prop shaft slip joint.  I will then adjust the rear transmission mount up or down with shims visually to get the transmission output shaft flange and flex disc parallel and flush with the front prop shaft flange and install the flex disc bolts.  There shouldn't be too much error if the the gap is thin and the surfaces are visually parallel.  Lastly I will tighten the slip joint nut.  I suppose it's a good idea to drive the car a few feet forward and backward before tightening the slip-joint.

Would this be an appropriate procedure for aligning the driveshaft?

Tom Kizer
Apparently late 1966 230SL 4-spd manual (Italian Version)
Owned since 1987 and wrapping up a full rotisserie restoration/modernization.
Was: Papyrus White 717G with Turquoise MBtex 112 and Kinderseat
Is: Dark Blue 332G with Dark Blue Leather (5300, I think)

George Des

« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2013, 22:59:50 »
Makes one wonder why MB made a changeover from the earlier props haft that actually had a slip joint that looks like it would self adjust as the suspension moved up and down.