Author Topic: Do I have rear axle play?  (Read 1282 times)

Berggreen

• Senior
  • Denmark, Zealand, Gentofte
Do I have rear axle play?
« on: January 25, 2021, 13:14:08 »
Dear All

I have a 280SL from 1971, where I for a long time have thought that I have excessive play in the rear axle, which I should take care of by eg. finding another rear axle. I don't hear any high pitched noises from the rear axle at any time, only some light low frequency sound from cold, but I guess it could also come from the tires, as it is a similar sound as tire noise.

We did change the rear axle oil some years ago to a thicker 120W rear axle oil, to try to reduce the effect of what we at that time thought was wear, because the automatic gearbox was shifting poorly at low speed with neutral gas. However, now I am in doubt, if I at all have any harmful play and wear in the rear axle.

What we do to check it, is to raise the car on a lift, and then while holding one rear wheel fixed, we move the other wheel, and in that process we feel some play. However, is this actually normal and it should be like that, or is it actual wear in the rear axle we feel?

Hope you can help me clarify this. :)

Cheers,

Christian

« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 13:21:27 by Berggreen »
02/1971 MB 280SL (aut.) - olive green 291H
11/1970 MB 280SL (man.) - silver 180G
12/1977 MB 350SE (aut.) - deep green 825H
03/1969 Volvo 1800S (man.) - dark green 94

SwedenBens

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
  • Sweden, Västra Götaland, Alingsås
Re: Do I have rear axle play?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2024, 12:25:51 »
Hi, have the same issue, to much play in right rear wheel, can also hear kind of metal noise when i giggle the wheel, my impression are from the joint, the axle are been recently  overhauld with 3;46, new bearing etc, maybe best to take axle out and start from there?!

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
Re: Do I have rear axle play?
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2024, 13:29:48 »
Is it not related to the type of the rear right bearing we have in our cars?

When you search "rear right bearing" you will get a lot of hits with threads that may explain it perhaps.

Please note that, e.g. SKG are producing those bearing with various tolerances - some are tighter, some have more play by design.
Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class