Author Topic: '70 going under the knife  (Read 3766 times)

racefaith

'70 going under the knife
« on: November 21, 2012, 18:19:52 »
Hello folks.

Im not an active member did buy a car a few years back when the world was on fire and everything was possible. Money was kicking around and I guess you could honestly say I bought it has a gimic on a whim. It had some visually minor cosmetic issues but had just had a short block rebuild, some tranny work, new brakes and wheels. After owning the car for a year, I came to learn thru some experts that my car had been repaired pretty extensively and a resto would prove astronomical.

Then the subsequent downturn comes and I looked at my car and realized that I had bought something of far less value than I paid.

Contrary to what some here advised, I moth balled the car and did not cut my losses. This might have also been a move to get it out of sight and mind and stop bumming me out.

Well forward a few years. I decided to keep my car and have it undergo a restoration realizing I am just digging myself deeper in the hole but things have gotten a little better and every time I think about that little car, a smile comes to my face. (and wifey loves it to).

After not being started or driven for 3 years, she turned over on the 3 crank and purred for about 5 minutes. Shut her down, pulled her onto a flatbed and had her taken to a local guy who I found after months of going to shops and asking "does anyone know a retired body guy who still does work?" I could honestly say I got 100 no's...as if they just all died they day they retired. Finally I went to a local meet and someone gave me the name of the man I am now using. He had a 4 bay shop for 40 years which his son now runs. Yes he 65, slowed by age and eye site but he seems an honest and genuine human being and......he gave me a ridiculous price relative to what all the resto shops wanted. He's got all the tools and access to paint facilities. Ive seen 2 other projects he did in the last 5 years and they look good to me.

It will be his first 113 but I really dont care. My spirits are lifted and I look forward to stopping in every few weeks to check on progress. He knocks a few hours here and there and intends to have it done by April. It wont be rotisserie but he is pulling all chrome, molding, doors, hood, trunk, top, etc. We'll do some body panel and floor panel replacements as well as new carpet and top. Color is changing from the stock maroonish one to white which my wife wants.

Please accept my apologies up front for the liekly many novice questions and opinions I'll be asking about how to do this, or should I do that, etc. I'll try the FAQ's first for sure but I'll still need help.

Thanks in advance and have a great holiday season. Chris

Larry & Norma

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Southampton
Re: '70 going under the knife
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 18:24:32 »
Great story, don't forget to post some pictures along the way. :) :)
Larry Hall (Gnuface)
2023 Ioniq6
2005 C230
1970 280SL

KevinC

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 20:02:24 »
Agree...great story and of course best of luck! Where are you in CT?

racefaith

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2012, 22:58:14 »
Agree...great story and of course best of luck! Where are you in CT?
Hi Kevin. We live in Simsbury which is about 12 miles west of Hartford, CT.

Louis

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2012, 01:58:14 »
Chris ,

Good luck with your car.  Another one will be saved..... ;D

racefaith

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 10:40:13 »
OK, first basic request for advice which I imagine will have varying opinions due to the very broad possibilities depending upon cost, need, depth of restoration and difficulty: if I was to replace as much rubber as I could or should, which rubber should I replace?

To this point all external trim and chrome as been removed, as well as light housings, buckets, doors, bumper, hood and trunk. As this is the time to do it, are there almost complete "kits" for 1 time replacement of rubber trims seals?

What are the most critical? obvious? key to a good restoration? likely to be bad and I cant see it? ones taht will enhance driving/ride/noise?

The question started in my mind when I was visitng the car and saw the turn signal trim with its rubber gasket all covered in wax, polish, grime and stripper and my tech asked me "do you want to replace" and I got to looking around and saying, "man, where do I start or stop on that question?" hahaha!

thanks!

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton and Brisbane Queensland
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 11:18:22 »
There are the soft rubber kits available from the US suppliers like Mercedes Classic Centre, Buds Benz and Millers covering the doors, windows, trunk and softtop hatch etc but there are certain rubber items that it is important that they are the original type such as Windscreen seal, Door to glass rubber and I am sure others will chime in with some of their problems encountered with non OEM rubbers that have caused heart ache in other areas of the car.

One of the first things that will make a vast improvement in driving if not already done are all the front end suspension rubber/nylon bushes and in that I include engine mounts and shock rubbers.

Am sure others will offer others that are good to do.

Garry
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric