Author Topic: Fuel Pump Enclosure  (Read 4682 times)

Dave

Fuel Pump Enclosure
« on: June 11, 2011, 23:42:42 »
I just realized what this thing is that I have in my box of loose parts that came with the car.  It's a big heavy black round barrel shaped thing, and it looks like it bolts around the fuel pump.  Any thoughts or recommendations?  Leave it off, put it on, strong opinions, etc.?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 09:29:00 by 280SL71 »

Jordan

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Jordan
Re: Fuel Pump Encllosure
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 10:43:53 »
If you don't already have one on, which it sounds like you don't, I would put it on.  Provides some protection to the pump and connections against bumps and bangs.  I always thought it was an odd spot to put a fuel pump, but I guess if you are going to gravity feed it, there aren't a lot of options.
Marcus
66 230SL  Euro 4 speed

SteveK

Re: Fuel Pump Enclosure
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 12:48:16 »
I agree, put it on.  I cut mine with a scroll saw so it could be put on and removed with removing the hose to the tank. 

Dave

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 12:50:27 »
Thanks Fellas.  On it goes!

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 16:17:29 »
I wonder if it is off because the previous owner changed fuel pumps. The earlier pumps were a different size -- and I think the cover has to be modified to fit the later ones? just thinking.
James
63 230SL

George Des

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 16:32:59 »
That is usually the case since the placement of the hoses on the pumps is different necessitating mods to the original cover if the smaller pump is used. The smaller pump uses a cover with a spiral shaped cut-out to allow passage of the hoses.

George

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 18:58:23 »
Not always the case.

It goes like this.  Mechanic does work on fuel pump or lines, reinstalls cover.  Starts up, there is a leak.  Removes cover, tracks down leak.  Replaces cover.  Next week it is an electrical issue.  Off comes the cover--again.

Back in the day, it probably was NOT replaced and that's why so many are missing.  I suspect mine was in that category.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid