Author Topic: Bad Fuel Pump and Rad Hose  (Read 9640 times)

Intex

Bad Fuel Pump and Rad Hose
« on: March 20, 2009, 20:59:31 »
After driving my restored 1971 280sl for a total of 20 miles in the last 2 years, I tried to start it yestreday. It would not idle, and then it started to spray some black liquid onto the inside of the hood. I decided to take it in to the closest Repair Shop that handles 280sl's.

Diagnosis: Bad Fuel Pump - cost $1350 to replace/
Diagnosis: Lower Radiator Hose broken by some fan belt rubbing against it - cost $360 to replace

Questions:
1. Do these amounts seem out of line ? They say they have to remove the hood, and some other parts just to get to the hose.
2. Where can I find a cheaper Fuel Pump, they are charging $950 for theirs? Are rebuilt ones available.

If I take a per mile charge for the use of this car, its coming out pretty expensive, but it does look "pretty"
Thanks

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Re: Bad Fuel Pump and Rad Hose
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 21:10:03 »
Intex,

Last I checked--about 2 years ago--the fuel pump retail, if you searched around, was about $700+.  Probably means "full price" over $1,000.  Count on 1 hr labor or so for install.  You probablly need some additional hardware, (mounting screws, etc.) and fuel pump mounts.

So, sounds a bit high...did they break down parts/labor?
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 21:23:20 »
I can't imagine why they should want to remove the hood - the radiator drops out from underneath very easily when the car is on a lift (IF they need to remove it to gain easier access to the front of the engine to replace the hose that is fouling on a belt!).
- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

Intex

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 21:40:23 »
I found a rebuilt fuel pump for m$375 from Buds Benz. Any ideas on a rebuilt one?? This is the Bosch 1084700281, hopeful;ly it is the equivalent to the Mercedes 001-091-5201.

They said the pump is doing nothing, he tapped it a few times with a hammer, to see if it would loosen up, but still nothing, even with power to the fuel piump. Maybe a bad motor?

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 21:57:33 »
I'm still stuck on the spraying black liquid onto the inside of the hood...

Since the fuel pump is nowhere near there -- what is the liquid?

Only thing I can think of is something spitting out of the breather pipe? (blowby?)
James
63 230SL

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 22:26:39 »
Also, check the Technical Manual on the Fuel Pump first: http://www.sl113.org/wiki/Fuel/Pump. Why do I sometimes get the feeling no-one ever reads the Tech Manual?

Peter
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

Intex

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2009, 22:41:55 »
Actually I did read most of the Tech Manual re: Fuel Pumps, but my serviceman does not want to do anything more, than change the pump for now.

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2009, 02:35:57 »
Hello,

The rebuilt fuel pump from Bud's seems reasonable and the best choice.  Your old pump is easily fixable most likely it is just stuck.  If your service man just wants to do a swap get the rebuilt pump for now. Keep your original and have it repaired. Sell it to recover some of your expenses or keep it for a spare.

If your car has AC some hose replacement can be much more complex. If it does not then certainly no hood removal is needed and most hose replacement is fairly straight forward.

Long periods of inactivity are hard on any complex machinery. Try to get the car out for a drive at least every few months.  Just starting it in the garage and not driving it, is not good enough exercise. Remember, garages kill !

Try adding a little gas stabilizer and / or two cycle motor oil  to the gas before winter storage. Run the engine for a few minuits before storage. This can keep fuel system mechanicals from getting stuck during storage. However nothing is better than a nice 15 minute drive to keep brakes, exhaust, transmission, differentiial, tires, fuel system, etc, in proper working condition.

Brake fluid and anti-freeze must be changed on a two or three year interval or other expensive problems will develope.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 02:40:23 by ja17 »
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

rmmchl

• Silver
  • USA, WV, Charleston
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2009, 16:53:42 »
adsit company sells the bosch fuel pumps fo $538.00 on the net-that includes a 10% discount on the net-----if you have an old style one you will have to buy the new braket and bushings at a minimal cost from them-it takes an hour labor to install-you are getting burned royallly
michael romeo           
1967  250sl
signal red

rmmchl

• Silver
  • USA, WV, Charleston
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2009, 16:56:54 »
also-the black liquid has nothing to do with the fuel pump-period!-find another mechanic-----------------get away from the guy--------------------------------he's ripping you off and he doesnt know what he is doing
michael romeo           
1967  250sl
signal red

dseretakis

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2009, 19:12:37 »
I bought a fuel pump about 2 months ago for $330 from buymbparts.com for my 71 280SL.  He had only 2 left at that price so he might still have one more.  It is the original Bosch pump and it is a new unit.

After driving my restored 1971 280sl for a total of 20 miles in the last 2 years, I tried to start it yestreday. It would not idle, and then it started to spray some black liquid onto the inside of the hood. I decided to take it in to the closest Repair Shop that handles 280sl's.

Diagnosis: Bad Fuel Pump - cost $1350 to replace/
Diagnosis: Lower Radiator Hose broken by some fan belt rubbing against it - cost $360 to replace

Questions:
1. Do these amounts seem out of line ? They say they have to remove the hood, and some other parts just to get to the hose.
2. Where can I find a cheaper Fuel Pump, they are charging $950 for theirs? Are rebuilt ones available.

If I take a per mile charge for the use of this car, its coming out pretty expensive, but it does look "pretty"
Thanks

dseretakis

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2009, 19:21:11 »
I checked buymbparts.com and it seems that the pump is now back to $723.  Try gernold at sl tech in Maine.  He was selling a new unit for $600 something and had a used one for $300 something.

Intex

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2009, 01:17:19 »
Thanks for the input, I think Ill go with the rebuilt for now, and save some $.
Yes, the car has AC, so maybe that is why he has to pull the hood, the bottom of the radiator is a maze of hoses for the AC and maybe oil cooler?

What brand fuel stabilizer do you use? I will try to put it in next.

dseretakis

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2009, 03:33:04 »
I think most of us just use sta-bil.

joao210

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2009, 22:19:09 »
I have a new in the box bosch fuel pump for $500 + shipping or a rebuilt one for $300 +shipping[ or $240 if you send me your old one ] jasper47@netzero.net or tel 210 823 1583

Intex

« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2009, 02:50:14 »
Joao,
Thank you for the offer, unfortunately it was too late, as I had already ordered one.

psmith

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2009, 05:51:52 »
I may be wrong, but I think your mechanic meant fuel injection pump, not fuel pump.  The fuel pump is in the back of the car under the tank and I doubt it has anything to do with your problem.  The injection pump may or may not be the problem, but they are a special animal and I wouldn't replace it too quickly.  Tell us a little more about where the black fluid is on the engine or hood.  Front, middle, or rear?