Author Topic: Originality  (Read 2752 times)

Robert_F

Originality
« on: August 11, 2008, 08:15:58 »
I am planning to have my front and rear bumpers rechromed. I've read things in some past postings from members on the subject of plating and also reproduction bumpers as opposed to OEM units.

Is there a way by looking at them that I can tell if the bumpers on my car now are the original ones?

I've looked at photos of other cars and they all seem to appear the same but I'm still a novice at all this.

Can those of you who have experience tell me how I can determine if I have originals or reproductions bumpers?  My car had little documentation when I bought it and a number of things had obviously been replaced over the years. They are tarnished and would appear to have been on the car a while but that doesn't say much when it comes to determining if they are the originals.

If I am going to spend a large sum on replating I would like to think I am spending the money on OEM not reproductions.

Any comments appreciated.

Douglas

Re: Originality
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 10:45:21 »
Robert,

They're probably original if they look old and worn. The repro bumpers haven't been out that long.

If the backside is painted an off-white color, I'd say that's also a good indicator. Very few people would bother to paint the backside of a new set of bumpers. (Of course, that could also indicate they were re-chromed at one point.)