Author Topic: Carpet under AC unit - help  (Read 3510 times)

kftca

Carpet under AC unit - help
« on: January 01, 2016, 02:29:08 »
Hello everyone
I am a newbie... Bought a 1970 280 sl garage find which I am now installing new carpet set purchased from GAT. The old carpets are all  out except the passenger carpet which is stuck in behind the fridge king AC unit.
Question : How do you get the old carpet out and the new one in? The problem is the carpet is under a bracket attached to the firewall ( near where your toes would be) which is supporting the AC unit.
Great forum.... All help appreciated.

Karl

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
Re: Carpet under AC unit - help
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2016, 01:24:08 »
Don't have the AC instructions in front of me but if memory serves the bracket is screwed to the firewall with sheet metal screws and not through bolted.  If you need more room after getting the bracket off the AC unit is hung on sheet metal screws that are under 1" plastic plugs on the underside of the AC unit. You should be able to flop it down without disconnecting the lines but be careful of the plastic housing as they tend to get brittle.  The 1" Chassis plugs are available from Amazon so destroy the plug rather than the housing.

http://www.amazon.com/Flush-Mount-Black-Plastic-Sheet/dp/B00PEZS37I/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1451700351&sr=8-3&keywords=1%22+plastic+plug
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 02:06:55 by Shvegel »

CarlG

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2016, 17:24:45 »
When I had some new precut carpets installed a few years ago the shop told me I had bought carpets for a car with no AC, which was news to me that there was a difference. They cut off some of the front and put new binding around the outside and now they can be removed for cleaning or whatever without disturbing the AC.

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, JACKSONVILLE
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2016, 20:32:05 »
I don't believe Mercedes ever made A/C specific carpeting.  That doesn't make sense from an inventory standpoint.  In the US, and probably Canada, the dealers installed the A/C units.  Therefore, there are slight differences between how the blowers were mounted and how the drain hoses were run.  In my car, there is just enough room that the carpet can be slid up behind the blower.  The mounting does not interfere.  So without looking at your installation, it may be hard to suggest how to go about it.  However, the supports are for when the car is bouncing down the road.  Disconnecting any mounting bracket long enough to install the rug shouldn't be a problem.
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe

kftca

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2016, 01:03:44 »
Thanks everyone for the help, I got the carpet out after lifting the rear of the AC unit a bit.
I plan to slip the new carpet in underneath
Karl