Author Topic: Spark plug leads  (Read 10421 times)

graphic66

Spark plug leads
« on: June 09, 2010, 15:53:13 »
I have been trying to get a set of spark plug leads for my 66' 230SL. It has the tube along the valve cover that the wires go through. I ordered a set from K&K, but it had the number one wire with a metal right angle and the rest straight rubber connectors, I think they were all 1000 ohm resistance. I just don't want that odd ball right angle connector, it looks like it is wrong and of course it is wrong. I returned those and K&K sent a set of Beru wires K&k part #108-150-00-18, the numbers on the Beru box are ZEF 363 0300.890.363 Mercedes.The box has a sticker on it from German Auto Parts Inc. with a part# MER 150 99 18. The Beru wires are 1000 ohm but they are too short and will not fit. I tried several ways and they still did not fit, too short.
   Now my question is- What are people using, and what is correct for the distributor connectors, should they be straight or 90 deg. boots.
  At this point I believe I am going to order some beru copper core bulk wire and the proper Beru ends and make my own set up. If this is the case and it works out I will have additional wire and will possibly make some sets up to sell as it looks like they are not available at this time unless someone can tell me otherwise.
  K&K has been very helpful with this for me but no solution as yet has been found. Any help would be appreciated. 
  My set that came with the car has Beru ends, the wood screw type with right angle wood screw connectors at the dizzy, but I found that the spark plug connectors are 1000 ohm and the dizzy connectors are also 1000 ohm giving me about 2000 ohm resistance per wire, which I believe is wrong. I do like the 90 deg. connectors at the dizzy, but I just want it to be as the car was originally.
  Also can anyone tell me where to get the rubber tube that houses all the ignition wires before they enter the metal tube and protects them going over the injector tubes?
  I have searched here and really have not found an answer.

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
Re: Spark plug leads
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 17:31:13 »
Hi, graphic66,

I had the same problem with the Beru wire set on my 230 SL.
I changed to the later type bracket with open wires which came with a 250 head that I also changed to.

I have a part roll of Bosch 7mm copper core wire and 1k ohm (wood screw type) spark plug ends.
We just made up a set for a friend running a 220 SEb with a similar tube to the 230SL.
We used after market distributor cap end terminals and boots.
I believe the black tubing only came with sets supplied by MB.

Not much help if you want to stick with originality.  :-[

naj
68 280SL

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 00:24:57 »
My experience: A few years back, my mechanic replaced an old beat-up wire set with what I think is a fairly standard Mercedes set, Bosch 7mm Opti-layer copper core. 5 straights and a right angle cap. It worked well but when I discovered here that the right angle was 5K connector instead of 1K, I worked with Dave Gallon to figure it out. He sold me a straight connector, Bosch 0 356 301 022 also available through Mercedes as #000 156 49 10. It had the wood screw and was an easy change out. Car seems to be very happy. He also sold me the rubber grommets that go on the early wire harness to protect wires as they go through. Part number 000 997 22 81. I have enclosed a pic of the harness after this project. The second one shows the grommets more than the ends... Hope this helps somehow.
James
63 230SL

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 05:20:31 »
.... Now my question is- What are people using, and what is correct for the distributor connectors, should they be straight or 90 deg. boots.
  At this point I believe I am going to order some beru copper core bulk wire and the proper Beru ends and make my own set up. ...
Hello graphic66,
I have been trying for a while now to find out what the original wire ends at the distributor were for our cars. One of the problems is that MB used Bosch and Beru as suppliers and both companies made slightly different connectors and in addition there were connectors with and without radio interference suppressors. Consulting the pictures in the different spare parts lists one has the impression that they were all straight connectors.  See first attached picture below, but we know that this cannot be correct.
Digging deeper into the Bosch literature it is clear that the very early 230SLs had a long straight connector that was later replaced by a shorter 90 degree bent version (Bosch p/n 0356 250 010 = MB p/n 000 156 24 10). I cannot find the date for the switchover but my guess is that it occurred after chassis number 3176 because that is the date for the change of the complete wire set.
This bent connector was replaced by a version with a shorter central pin that did not protrude from the cap (Bosch p/n 0356 250 014 = MB p/n 000 156 33 10). It was introduced by Bosch in March 1968.  See second picture.
Beru also made a bent connector called VESO 1K a picture of which is in the Technical Manual. The replacement for that is a VESO 105 and may still be available from Kingsborne - (http://www.kingsborne.com/connectors.htm) give Gary Hartley or Kris Richter a call (760-736 4020) if you want to find out.  They will also make up a complete set for you with the proper ZLE120 end on the spark plug side.  The ZLE 120 is now metal white and no longer yellow and all connectors are 1 kOhm.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 05:28:52 by 66andBlue »
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

al_lieffring

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 13:05:49 »
Alfred and all

I have found the Beru 1k ohm spark plug resistors are availavle at NAPA auto parts stores.
http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Detail.aspx?R=ATMZLE120_0257225165

They aslo sell 7mm copper core plug wire by the foot.

http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Detail.aspx?R=BEL734803_0212982487

« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 13:11:04 by al_lieffring »

stickandrudderman

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Richmond
    • http://www.colinferns.com
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2010, 06:51:47 »
Naj,
where did you get the lead ends (distributor) from? MB want £4.10 each!!

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2010, 07:40:48 »
Hi, Stick,

IIRC, Durite.
Pack of 25 or 50.

naj
68 280SL

KevinC

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2013, 00:38:00 »
I'm just interested in updating this... there are several spark plug wire pre-made sets available according to what I see on a variety of vendor's sites. Brands include Bosch, Standard, Bremi, Beck-Arnley, Karlyn, etc. I'm looking at  NGK BP6ES spark plugs...does anyone have a plug wire set recommendation based on recent experience? If you might have the brand and part number it would be great!
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 00:43:34 by KevinC »

UJJ

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Grass Valley
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2013, 13:26:40 »
Hi Kevin, long time no see. Are you back from FL?
When I got my car I noticed right away that the Ignition cables were wrong. Some were a little too short and some too long. Also, I got zapped pretty good once fooling around with the engine running.
So I ordered a new set from Buds Benz. I could not get them to fit properly either, plus they came with right angle connectors at the cap end, which does not make sense to me.
At that point I had it and ordered a new set completely assembled with plugs on both ends from MB P/N: 1301501318. Problem solved!
The bad news: $ 159.20 plus $ 36.00 for the Ignition cable distributor cap to coil if you want that too. They all come with straight connectors which I think is much better, because it allows for proper routing.
However, keep in mind that I have a 280 SL and I do not know if your 230 SL is the same.
BTW I have a ...51 Distributor (see attached picture)
Hope to see you soon, Urban
Urban Janssen
Grass Valley, CA
1968 280 SL - 4speed manual
173 anthracite grey

KevinC

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2013, 14:08:41 »
Thanks Urban...yes....back from FLA.

So roughly $200 including shipping...Yikes. I bet they are great though. Will let you know how I make out.

Saturday morning should be a "go"...might be a slight change in location...I'll let you know!

Welcome back from the windy City BTW.

PS: I believe the distributor in my 230 is the one that ends in 009.