Author Topic: Rust repair in NJ  (Read 2986 times)

cbenz1

Rust repair in NJ
« on: June 17, 2013, 12:30:38 »
Found some rust under driver seat when I took it out to remove a subwoofer previous owner out in :'(.  It was not a hole, but close to it.  What is proper way to repair this?  The rest of the car seems OK.  I want it fixed right, but not a concours car.  Anyone use a shop in NJ to remediate this issue?

w113dude

Re: Rust repair in NJ
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 13:04:43 »
Take it to someone who does sheet metal work on cars, some body shops do have someone who can weld, they should be able to cut the area and weld a new piece in as a patch.

71Beige280SL

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • USA, OH, Madeira
  • 1971 280 SL
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 15:25:39 »
If it is sufficiently large, I would recommend you order a floor panel from Mercedes. I had both of my replaced. Looks great. I will send pictures tomorrow.
- 1971 280SL Beige/Cognac Leather
- 2024 Mercedes GLE 350
- 2023 AMG C43 Cabriolet

dseretakis

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2013, 21:34:01 »
Found some rust under driver seat when I took it out to remove a subwoofer previous owner out in :'(.  It was not a hole, but close to it.  What is proper way to repair this?  The rest of the car seems OK.  I want it fixed right, but not a concours car.  Anyone use a shop in NJ to remediate this issue?

Hi cbenz. Can you post a pic? Usually there is more rust than meets the eye! If it has not perforated then sand, wire wheel, and then apply naval jelly. Re-apply the naval jelly every few hours and agitate every hour or so with steel wool. Do this for as long as necessary to remove every trace of rust. It may take up to 2-3 days. Rinse, dry and apply POR-15 or Miracle Paint. If there is rust-through then welding in a patch is your best option.

By the way, I met you at June Jamboree! We discussed caravaning to VA.

Dimitri.