Author Topic: Bumper Guard Gaskets  (Read 2875 times)

bootes

Bumper Guard Gaskets
« on: September 23, 2011, 22:11:05 »
For those who have bumper guards, can one of you tell me what the original color was...silver? Aluminum? Chrome? Gray? I removed my bumper guards 4-5 years ago but I think I'm going to put them back on. The original gaskets are a bit discolored and slightly tattered but certainly useable. I think I'm going to clean and paint them. Also, anyone know if any original gaskets are still around? I heard the aftermarkets are black. Any info/comments would be appreciated. Thanks

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
Re: Bumper Guard Gaskets
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 00:57:50 »
Not sure what item you asking about. The over-roders are chrome, and the rubber insert, on the front, is black. There are small gaskets/rubber protectors where the over-rider meets the bumper that are clear/white plastic. I believe the protectors are available from the usual suspects (K&K, Millers, Dave Gallon, etc). I did not inquire about the color, but a quick email or phone call will answer the question.
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

bootes

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 03:21:17 »
The gaskets were actually silver/gray colored. My brief research indicates that the aftermarket gaskets are black. Just trying to get the correct color from someone with their original bumper guards and gaskets as my gaskets are discolored from age - no biggie - I can get close enough but was try to clarify before doing so.

This link was helpful from our website a few years ago (re bumper maintenance for those interested):

http://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=2227.0

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 00:17:57 »
I am traveling and am not able to get you a photo of the gaskets on my 1970 280 SL. I don't think they are as fully colored as the photos you have attached, but cannot show you evidence until I can get a shot of the car. They are certainly not black.
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor