Author Topic: soft top lid paint rubs  (Read 4598 times)

rmmchl

• Silver
  • USA, WV, Charleston
soft top lid paint rubs
« on: July 08, 2011, 22:44:04 »
I had to take my hatch lid off again and personally guide my auto body man through this. They always want to fill in and  smooth the indentations on the soft top hatch lid. Mine were there, but not deep enough. The indentations need to be there. Even when they are there, the top frame frequently will rub the paint  there. I just repainted, but they were still not deep enough, and there were a few paint rubs-I'm going to the blacklick event, and I want this to look correct. And so-last night, off with the chrome, and I marked with tape around brackets, so I won't have to adjust it again, when I re-install it. Off to the paint shop to deepen the indentations a bit, and touch up the paint, which means new clear coating the whole piece again. I left the vinyl on, and threatened them with their life to tape it correctly, and not get paint on the vinyl. I had sent it to Bud's 500 miles away to put that small piece of vinyl on.----This piece is so vital to our cars appearance. Probably the most important body piece because the soft top latches here, and many adjustments have to be done with this piece to get it correct. This is one of the parts not designed correctly-  The compartment is really too small to accomodate our top and frame, and the lid's rubber and paint usually take the brunt of the poor design. But boy, does it look good when it is on our cars!!!!------ It is almost impossible to get all the chrome on and adjustments, without chipping the paint somewhere. The vinyl or leather has to be done correctly, and finding people that know how is very hard. That's why why I sent it to Bud's for the installation of the tex vinyl. They do it all the time.--I know a lot of you have had the same experience with the lid. Thought you might enjoy my comments knowing we all go through these pains.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 23:09:59 by rmmchl »
michael romeo           
1967  250sl
signal red

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
Re: soft top lid paint rubs
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 06:10:45 »
Not sure which indentation you are referring to but I think they're the ones on the underside of the lid where the end of the gear used to hold the top to the wind shield frame sometimes hits the lid.
This is common. The factory used a bit of rubber or something like that as a buffer so the gear could rub up against it. It is important to make sure that the gear is turned all the way in after you lower the top or it will stick out far enough that it will definitely hit.
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

rmmchl

• Silver
  • USA, WV, Charleston
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 11:50:00 »
Dan, . it's the small indentation at the slot on the top part of  lid. The 1 inch part closest  to the chrome cap where the top frame sometimes can touch if the lid is " slammed too hard to catch in the back latch. I have seen about 10 cars with chipped paint there. Mine included. Mine chipped when I was installing and bolting  my soft top and frame back in the compartment, after my paint job. I should have had the lid off for this procedure. The back/side bar of the frame hit the lid and chipped the paint. If the indentation would have been a few millimeters deeper, it wouldn't have done it. Most body shops have filled  this area smooth , but it is supposed to be indented.    On the underside of the lid, I have trouble keeping the 2 small square rubber pieces glued to the metal. Those are what I think you thought I was referring to. They are suppposed to cushion the top handle gear  pressing on the underside of the lid. I don't believe they really work, because my original ones were worn off , and I never replaced them until a few years back. Nothing ever dented the underside by not using them, but for originality I cut 2 square pieces of rubber, but they don't stick well.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 12:07:33 by rmmchl »
michael romeo           
1967  250sl
signal red

Larry & Norma

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Southampton
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 14:47:57 »
Had the same problem with the rubber pads not sticking, then used double side adhesive pads to stick them, no problems since.
Larry Hall (Gnuface)
2023 Ioniq6
2005 C230
1970 280SL

Sirasila

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2011, 15:48:56 »
Can you attach a photo of the indentation you're talking about? I've just repainted and want to make sure there won't be a problem. thanks

rmmchl

• Silver
  • USA, WV, Charleston
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2011, 17:15:29 »
I don't know how to put pictures on here. I have tried many times and have given up
michael romeo           
1967  250sl
signal red

Witt

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2011, 00:27:04 »
Dan, . it's the small indentation at the slot on the top part of  lid. The 1 inch part closest  to the chrome cap where the top frame sometimes can touch if the lid is " slammed too hard to catch in the back latch. I have seen about 10 cars with chipped paint there. Mine included. Mine chipped when I was installing and bolting  my soft top and frame back in the compartment, after my paint job. I should have had the lid off for this procedure. The back/side bar of the frame hit the lid and chipped the paint. If the indentation would have been a few millimeters deeper, it wouldn't have done it. Most body shops have filled  this area smooth , but it is supposed to be indented.    On the underside of the lid, I have trouble keeping the 2 small square rubber pieces glued to the metal. Those are what I think you thought I was referring to. They are suppposed to cushion the top handle gear  pressing on the underside of the lid. I don't believe they really work, because my original ones were worn off , and I never replaced them until a few years back. Nothing ever dented the underside by not using them, but for originality I cut 2 square pieces of rubber, but they don't stick well.

....Have no idea what "indentation" you are refering to......just finished a complete paint job on my car a few month ago, with the ST lid removed and reupholstered......or are you refering to the two slots where the ST linkage prodrudes when erected on either end of the cover ?

cheers, Witt!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 09:17:02 by Peter van Es »

rmmchl

• Silver
  • USA, WV, Charleston
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2011, 01:00:28 »
thanks for the pictures-that is the spot. The larger opening should have an indention there------------------whitt,  the photo is real bright and it's hard to tell, but that looks like a paint chip on yours. Am I correct?  If so, that is what I'm talking about. I have seen many w113's like this.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 01:18:29 by rmmchl »
michael romeo           
1967  250sl
signal red