Author Topic: Replacing my engine .... Celebration Time!  (Read 38258 times)

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
Re: Replacing my engine .... Celebration Time!
« Reply #50 on: April 13, 2004, 12:00:37 »
Well done Cees ;)

Now remember what the good Dr. ordered!
naj

65 230SL
68 280SL
68 280SL

Gerhard

« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2004, 09:49:38 »
Hi Cees,

Congrats from Amersfoort too. If you are ever in the area pop in for a coffee. Just curious about the sound of the revised engine of course. I just don't get around to working on my car lately.

BTW. looks great, a SL parked on the gracht :?: .

Gerhard Radstake
1965 230SL

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
« Reply #52 on: April 14, 2004, 10:03:49 »
Cees,
If you have the time, it may be worth doing a compression test now and again when the engine is fully bedded in (or broken in)to see the difference?
I'm sure it will be of interest to all here.
naj

65 230SL
68 280SL
68 280SL

n/a

« Reply #53 on: April 16, 2004, 22:11:23 »
Cees

I'll raise a glass in your honor!  Your accomplishment has me grinning ear to ear.

Cheers!

Tony M
1965 230SL (Auto)

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #54 on: April 18, 2004, 11:58:05 »
Thanks everyone for your encouraging words.

I spent the better part of today in the garage again. Things I did:
- tightened a couple of the bolts/nuts that secure the exhaust downpipes to the manifolds. Three were a bit loose.
- replaced the (plain) water in the cooling system with coolant.
- re-torqued the head bolts. They clearly needed it.
- changed the oil and the oil filter (after only some 60 miles) - there were some tiny metal particles in there.
- solved a small oil leak I noticed today (loose nut on a oil cooler tube).
- checked the transmission fluid level.
- re-adjusted the ignition timing (again).
- washed the car (!)
- checked the CO-level with a Gunson Professional gas tester: the CO level was way too high - about 9% when it's supposed to be between 3.5% and 4.5%. I adjusted the knob at the back of the FI pump 4 clicks and this corrected the situation. Adjusted the air screw on the intake manifold to get the idle RPM at 800.
- went for several test drives.
- did not get around to checking the compression but I will do so next time.

The engine runs very strong and smooth. It responds much more quickly to the throttle than the old engine used to. It is also much quieter - the old engine would make a lot of mechanical noise - the new one is very quiet.

I will drive for another 600 miles before I will re-torque the head bolts once more, check the valve clearances and replace the oil (with full synthetic - I now use semi-synthetic) and filter.

Cees Klumper in Amsterdam
'69 white 280 SL automatic
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

113gray

« Reply #55 on: April 18, 2004, 18:02:47 »
Cees, I think all of us are as excited as you are! A wonderful adventure. Tell us what wine you chose to celebrate. Please accept my congratulations along with those already received.    -JP-
« Last Edit: April 18, 2004, 18:05:15 by 113gray »

Ben

« Reply #56 on: April 19, 2004, 04:13:48 »
Cees I found that my car used oil for about 3 or 4 thousand miles before it reduced to a level that is insignificant. You may need to reconsider and use mineral oil until it has bed in fully before switching to synthetic as it wont bed in whilst running on synth !

Regards,
Ben in Ireland.
'64 230SL 4sp.
'03 CLK Kompressor

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
« Reply #57 on: April 19, 2004, 13:08:35 »
Hi Ben - I did consider whether I should start off with mineral oil first. Then I read up on the subject and finally decided to go with the semi-synthetic blend for the first 1.000 km's, then switch to fully synthetic. Someone (Nathan Keith) was very adamant about being able to use synthetic from the start, that it would not prevent the engine from being properly run-in. I chose the compromise. Did you start out with synthetic and is that why you believe it consumed more oil in the beginning? I will monitor the oil consumption carefully and play it by ear.
For JP (113Gray): the grape-based lubrication that I can recommend you consume in between engine work, is called "Lavila"; it is manufactured by a small outfit in Cebazan, France. The label provides the following product specifications: "LAVILA is a soft, smooth, fruity, easy-to-drink wine, produced in the South of France, where the climate and personalities reflect the warmth and conviviality (?) of the Mediterranean Region"

WARNING: The Surgeon General has determined that buying a Pagoda can be hazardous to your wallet

Cees Klumper
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

Ben

« Reply #58 on: April 20, 2004, 02:42:55 »
Hi Cees, well I am by no means an expert on engine oil, but I have rebuilt dozens of engines and I've always used mineral oil to run them in.

As it happens when I was doing mine last year there was a series of articles in various UK classic mags about oils. I basically read them and decided to assemble with synthetic and use semi for start up then I dumped this after 50 miles and used quality mineral oil.

At the moment I have almost 13,000 miles on this engine since the rebuild and it might use 500ml in 1000 miles if driven hard. I tend to do a bunch of motorway miles, say 600 one week then 300 the next then nothing but short runs for the rest of the month ! Most of the time it requires no top up except after the long quick runs.

Regards,
Ben in Ireland.
'64 230SL 4sp.
'03 CLK Kompressor

113gray

« Reply #59 on: April 20, 2004, 18:34:46 »
Cees, Your grape based lubricant "Lavila" is essentially unknown this side of the pond. We envy you for access to such exotics but will try to make do as best we can with Napa cabs & Santa Maria Valley Pinot Noirs. Keep us posted on grapes & 113's.      -JP-

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
« Reply #60 on: April 23, 2004, 15:44:19 »
Hey Ben - I had a look at the Deves (piston rings manufacturer - according to Dr Benz, if you're looking to re-ring your pistons rather than replacing them, they're the best brand to get) website last night and they, too, recommend using mineral oil to run in a new engine. They echo the notion that using synthetic will prevent the rings from properly seating.
So doubt and anxiety started setting in, and pretty soon I was swapping the oil once again, for mineral oil (Valvoline). I will run that for the next 500 or so miles, then replace it with the semi-synthetic (also Valvoline) I just took out after 20 miles of use. After that, I will move on over to 100% synthetic.

I took the car for another 20-mile drive tonite on the highway and it just purs along. Very peppy and responsive, quite a difference from what I was used to over the past 4 years. I am curious as to the fuel mileage and oil consumption. Mileage was not too bad but also not good, and it was using a liter of oil every 900 or so km's. More news to follow ...

Cees Klumper
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

knirk

« Reply #61 on: April 28, 2004, 07:23:49 »
Cees,

I have driven about 700 miles now after the rebuild. Trying to vary the rpm and load and using 4000 rpm as the highest, and not much load.

Do you have a "normally used" break-in schedule telling when you can start increasing rpm/load, and when you may go all the way to 6500 rpm?

Per G. Birkeland
69 280 sl aut 834
Norway

Ben

« Reply #62 on: April 28, 2004, 08:02:10 »
I reckon maybe a thousand at under 3000RPM then another at under 4500 you should be okay !

It was easier for me as I did much more driving shortly after the rebuild. I had 1500 in the first month and same the next !

I feel the engine is getting better all the time and the rev counter really flies up once it hits 4000 !  You have to be careful when it come on cam 'cos it just flies !

Regards,
Ben in Ireland.
'64 230SL 4sp.
'03 CLK Kompressor