Author Topic: Hood torsion bar  (Read 3235 times)

n/a

Hood torsion bar
« on: September 18, 2003, 22:36:28 »
I re-installed the hood and torsion bar today, and used all new plastic fittings. But now the hood does not stay open. The torsion bar keeps on slipping out of the plastic "trough" . It seems as if the trough is too slippery, or is something else wrong??? Any ideas?

n/a

Re: Hood torsion bar
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2003, 06:30:07 »
Check the strap that keeps the hood from opening too far. It may be restricting you from opening the hood far enough for the bend in the bar to seat into the deepest part of the plastic cup.
The downward force on the arm that extends out should be fairly high. The hood is kept open because that arm is forced against the plastic cup. With the hood open, push on that arm. It should should require a fair amount of effort to push up. Just be careful not to lose your grip on the bar.

Regards,
Stan

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
Re: Hood torsion bar
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2003, 15:23:37 »
I took the plastic piece out that the bar sits in, rotated it 180 degrees and re-installed it. You can also ream it out just a bit to make it more 'pronounced'. Finally, you can position it in slightly different spots. In all, I managed to configure it so that the hood stays up securely. It did take some fiddling, so try these things and see if that does the trick.

Cees Klumper in Amsterdam
'69 white 280 SL automatic
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II