Author Topic: Newbee Buying and Needing Advice  (Read 3387 times)

n/a

Newbee Buying and Needing Advice
« on: September 14, 2003, 15:06:56 »
Hello everyone!  I'm new to this site and really glad I found it, as everything I've read thus far is super informative and educational.  My name is John, 52 years old, and live in Los Cabos Mexico but am originally from the State of Texas in the USA.  As I can finally afford this beautiful example of a car that I fell in love with back when I was a kid, I now find myself in the process of buying my first 280 SL and would greatly appreciate any suggestions before I put my money on the table.  The car is a 1971 model with approximately 65,000 original documented miles, original interior and exterior, no accidents or rust.  My understanding is that it belonged to a collector of fine automobiles who bought it new, never removed the hardtop and kept it in a climate controlled storage building along with the other fine cars in his collection, and originally was meant as a gift for his wife.  Anyway, I am scheduling a bumper to bumper inspection of the car, as well as performing a compression check, at a near-by Mercedes dealership and would appreciate whatever advice on what to tell the dealership to check for, ie., air conditioning, suspension, differencial, fluid levels, timing, brakes, etc.  I will be setting up the inspection for next Tuesday (September 16) and would greatly appreciate any suggestions.  Thanks and I'm glad and excited about becoming a member of this forum. :D

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
Re: Newbee Buying and Needing Advice
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2003, 16:33:50 »
Hello jsolis,
With that kind of low mileage and good storage there is not much to look for. I would be especially interested in all service records. As long as the car runs fine  and it has been regularly serviced, you probably have an exceptional example. Cars that sit too much can have problems with the brakes, exhaust systems and out dated coolant in the engine. Check these items. I assume you are going to test drive the car. If it feels ok then you are probably safe. Look for coolant and brake fluid changes on the service records. I would be most concerned about antifreeze left in the engine too long and having it turn acidic. Internal corrosion can occure and cause major problems. The brake fluid absorbs water from the air. It should also be changed on a regular basis. These brake problems are a little easier to handle. Injection systems can become stuck while in storage. If the car runs and starts well then you're probably safe here. Good luck!

Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
Re: Newbee Buying and Needing Advice
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2003, 22:29:18 »
Make sure to check out the technical articles section on the homepage site. The last item on the list of contents is "buying a car" and the link is here: http://www.sl113.org/articles/engine/buying_a_car.asp

Also, one of the other members here just last week sent me a Word document on evaluating a purchase, that is very comprehensive. I will send it to you off-line.

Good luck on your purchase, which I hope goes through also because then Mexico will be represented in the 40th anniversary Pagoda Poster (only 6 more countries to go ...)

Cees Klumper in Amsterdam
'69 white 280 SL automatic
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II