Author Topic: engine bay detail  (Read 7197 times)

loizou

engine bay detail
« on: July 25, 2008, 15:17:49 »
how involved is it to take engine out to paint engine bay & detail engine (cadmiun plate etc)or can it be done with engine in situ by just removing master cylinder etc etc etc & paint. 8)

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
Re: engine bay detail
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 18:27:55 »
quote:
Originally posted by loizou

how involved is it to take engine out to paint engine bay & detail engine (cadmiun plate etc)or can it be done with engine in situ by just removing master cylinder etc etc etc & paint. 8)

Taking the engine out sounds like a lot of work.  I recommend leaving it in and painting EVERYTHING the same color -- the engine bay, the engine, the brake booster, wires, cables, etc.   If you do a really good job, you may be able to fool people into not seeing ANYTHING under the hood.   As an alternate, you could stretch a canvas over the opening for the engine bay and very neatly PAINT a picture of a nice engine on the canvas.    :mrgreen:
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 21:32:51 »
Engine removal takes over 6 hours. By the time you remove the hood, rad, fuel lines, hoses, manifolds, exhaust system, shifter linkage, drive shaft and many other electrical conections the time adds up.
You can add another day just to remove all the small parts that need to be plated and cleaning of all the aluminium pieces. The plating doesn't cost too much but it's best to deliver nice clean rust free parts. If they're rusty you can sand blast them clean - more time for that. Figure on several hundered dollars to get the engine bay painted and then you can detail everything with black paint.
While you're at it you might as well detail the brake booster, rad, power steering pump, coat the manifolds and clean up all the wiring in the engine bay. This is how we do the cars that come through my shop. Engine rebuild with engine bay detailing is running in the mid teens right now.
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

loizou

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2008, 07:40:09 »
thanks dr benz as a newbie i am trying to figure out the best thing to do so comments such as scoots are nothing but sarcastic that dont really help anybody.

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2008, 11:51:43 »
quote:
Originally posted by loizou

thanks dr benz as a newbie i am trying to figure out the best thing to do so comments such as scoots are nothing but sarcastic that dont really help anybody.

I apologize, I am actually a very helpful person and meant no harm, just a little humor.  I didn't mean to sound sarcastic, just trying to be funny.  Sounds like it didn't work with you, so I owe you at least one GOOD piece of advice next time you post.  Fair enough?  Scott   :)
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2008, 12:04:32 »
Gunk

Lots of it from Halfords. Lots of cheap rags and a couple of brushes too. Lots of elbow grease and scraped knuckles..

Once it was cleaner, I could start to see what was needed vs not. I could do with a detail but over the next 18 months I need new inner and outer front wings so I'll do it all together - in my case it's sort of like scoot said...don't clean, paint

I put some autoglym bumper cleaner over the rubber and firewall pad and it's come up pretty well.

I was quoted about £350 for a detail, if that's any help - but obviously, that's bay, not engine as well...
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

loizou

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2008, 12:06:32 »
scoot my wife thinks im too sensitive no need to apologise as she agrees i have no sense of humour. 8) ps thanks for reply

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2008, 12:36:40 »
Of course, if you have no sense of humour, chances are you have no mates either.

So the site below should entertain...(basically, things getting taken very seriously)

;)

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

Paddy_Crow

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2008, 13:00:20 »
I haven't removed an engine from a SL, but I once participated in an engine swap on a '71 Chevy Nova. It cured me of the desire to ever take on such a task again.

gary brown

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2008, 16:59:13 »
oh come on the guy is asking a fair enough question!

The fact is if you need or want to detail as far as I have, for example, its engine out and engine bay stripped you are looking at a lot of hours and a lot of patience..i.e. the plater might be busy and you might forget something important to the detail or even get it wrong from the original. This is very difficult to even seriously contemplate if your engineering knowledge is limited or none existent. Can call me if you like. Yannis you know my number.
Gary
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 04:34:39 by 280SL71 »

bpossel

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2008, 05:36:47 »
I think Dan was generous in saying 6 hrs.  It could be many many more hours depending on your particular situation.  Depending on what parts have been removed, replaced before in your engine bay, removal of the parts can become a challenge (rust, manifold, down pipes, etc..).  It also depends on experience.  If you have done this before, and have experience, then the time is less.  Otherwise add more hours to this job.
In addition to lots of time, and patience!...  you need lots of tools.  Also an engine puller, and a helper to assist to stabilize the engine as its being removed.
It’s all possible, but you need to think it through and do some planning.  With the help of all of the generous and knowledgeable friends on this site, I was able to pull mine out.
Good Luck!
Bob  :)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 05:38:04 by bpossel »

merrill

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2008, 06:56:15 »
I removed the motor on my 66 230 a little over a year ago and It was not that bad.

I did remove all of the accessory items from the motor before pulling including the hood and radiator.

I co worker came over with his engine hoist and I had a leveler.
It took about 10 minutes to pull the motor and put it on a pallet.

It took a little longer to install the motor but not much.

I took my time removing / installing the accessory items. An hour here and there after work.  I  guess if you did all the work at once it would probably take about 6 hours each to remove / install.

now: If one does not remove all the accessory stuff and removes the motor with the tranny attached I bet the job could be done faster.

Matt
Austin Tx
66 230 sl - "white"
78 300 D - Blue
98 C230

loizou

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2008, 09:49:04 »
thanks for all advice guys i will have to think this one through 8)