Author Topic: Fog lights  (Read 6257 times)

philmas

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • France, Ile-de-France, Le Raincy
Fog lights
« on: September 11, 2007, 06:54:20 »
Hi!
My foglights (euro "bilux" headlights) don't illuminate.
I checked the connections in the headlight assembly and the bulbs look ok.
My suspicion is now on the main switch (corrosion?) unless there is something else in between...
Could anyone tell me if there should be a dedicated  relay to actuate the fog lights? I couldn't find the info when searching the forum
Any (good)idea would be appreciated !

Philippe from Paris
'71 280SL manual 4sp
Philippe from Paris
Euro '71 280SL manual 4sp

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
Re: Fog lights
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2007, 07:19:15 »
I found that my bulb appeared to look intact but that it was broken when I measured it through with an Ohm-meter. I replaced the bulb and my fog light lit again.

There are no relays in the circuit as far as I know.

Have a look in my post of the index.php?topic=7132]indicator light woes[/url], it contains a pin-out of the connector in the headlight assemblies so that you can check if +12v voltage appears on the correct pins when you pull the headlight switch to switch on the foglights.

Peter

Check out http://bali.esweb.nl for photographs of classic car events and my 1970 280SL
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

al_lieffring

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2007, 08:42:29 »
Phillipe

Look for a brown rectangular fuse box with a thumb screw in the middle on the washer resivior bracket next to the brake booster, On my car there is a fuse in there for the fog lamps, check the terminals and the wire connections for corrosion.

Al Lieffring
66 230Sl
Jones'n for a new gas tank

DavidAPease

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Chico
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2007, 14:17:31 »
Philippe,

I see that you are in Paris.  Was your car originally built for French delivery?  If so, the wiring may have been modified due to then-current French laws.  On my car, the fog lights would light with the "running" lights (first position clockwise on light switch), but not with headlights (second position clockwise); this was a deliberate French modification.  

If yours works this way let us know, and I'll try to reconstruct exactly what I had to do to make it work "correctly".  (Basically, I had to remove an additional circuit added for the French market and connect a new wire to the light switch, but I can give you more detail if this is the problem.)

-David Pease
'66 French 230SL
-David Pease
 '66 230SL (Originally sold in Paris)

philmas

• Associate Member
  • Senior
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2007, 02:10:34 »
I don't know how my foglights are wired, as they don't light up anyway I turn the main switch!
My belief is foglights should illuminate altogether with low beam, but not high beam.Im I right?

Philippe from Paris
'71 280SL manual 4sp
« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 02:10:59 by philmas »
Philippe from Paris

hands_aus

• Platinum
  • Australia, Queensland, Brisbane
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2007, 06:04:07 »
quote:
Originally posted by philmas

I don't know how my foglights are wired, as they don't light up anyway I turn the main switch!
My belief is foglights should illuminate altogether with low beam, but not high beam.Im I right?

Philippe from Paris
'71 280SL manual 4sp

The fog lights should work by pulling the switch out and turning to the right.
You should have both low beam headlights and fog lights on at the same time.

If your car was originally a USA car then the fog light wires were not connected at the back of the switch and need to be re-connected.

Bob Smith (Brisbane,Australia)
RHD,1967 early 250 SL, auto
Bob Smith (Brisbane,Australia)
RHD,1967 early 250 SL #114, auto, ps , 717,717
best of the best

Bob G

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2007, 10:34:28 »
A simular problem. After market bosch fog lights added by my notourious tinkious father. The fog lights only work with the factory USA lower fog lights on the headlight assemblies are switched on. As soon as the headlights are switched on the fog lights go out.
Can some one inlighten me on the proper electrical hook up for after market fog lights to work with my low beam lights?

Thank you
bob Geco

philmas

• Associate Member
  • Senior
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2007, 16:48:57 »
Thanks a lot, these are interesting ways of investigation!
All I need now is waiting until saturday, take the car out of the garage, and try and figure out what's really going on.
Btw, I don't remember the little brown fuse box near the windscreen washer tank...Are you sure it's not a 230sl specificity?

Philippe from Paris
'71 280SL manual 4sp
Philippe from Paris