Author Topic: Paint question  (Read 2715 times)

W9091

Paint question
« on: August 09, 2011, 06:21:07 »
Hi, I'm new to the forum and to Pagodas. I've been shopping around for a good 230sl or 250sl the last few months. First, I'd like to say I'm so glad this forum exists! I've been reading a lot on here.

I have a question. I've been offered a dark green 250sl and was wondering if there was a color code chart as I'm not sure it's a stock color. It's been repainted really nice and was originally white. Looks good in the photos and I'm guessing it's a stock color, but I think I would have picked grey or cream instead. Oh well. The seats etc. are original and black.

It also doesn't have a hard top with it so I'm looking at how much those run. Did some years/models have hard tops that had two chrome strips down the top? Also, if I painted the top black would that be a stock color combo? I'm not sure if they came new with black tops as an option. 

Sorry if these seem like stupid questions but I'm a newbie at these cars and I'm determined to get one this year! - I'm 39 and can finally afford one.

Not sure how to post photos yet but I will once I figure it out.

Thanks everyone!

John

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton and Brisbane Queensland
  • Audit Committee
Re: Paint question
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 06:50:50 »
Hi John,

Welcome to the forum.

Firstly there are no silly questions you have to start somewhere and there are  just lots of answers on the forum.

In the technical manual there are all the paint codes and colors. See http://www.sl113.org/wiki/DataCard/PaintCodes.  Your dark green is probably dark olive.
Hard tops tend to run around 3  grand and can cost that much again to restore if they are not in reasonable condition.
 The chrome strips on the hard top were an option to allow the fitment of ski racks etc to the roof.
There were a mixture of colours for tops but you probably could order what ever you wanted. Have a look thru the tech manual on codes to see some of the different colour mixes.

Garry

« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 06:53:49 by Garry »
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric

W9091

Re: Paint question
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 16:01:27 »
Thanks Gary!

Yes you're right, it looks like dark olive. I see you have a dark olive car with a light ivory top. I think that's the top color I'd like! Any chance you could send me or post an image? I defiantly have the bug and can't wait to own one!

Best,

John