Author Topic: Inner Door panels  (Read 2626 times)

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
Inner Door panels
« on: November 19, 2004, 16:55:37 »
I recently saw a Bud's ad in Hemmings. It advertised that new MB-tex covered door panels (including the inside board) were available for around $325 a pair. Anybody ever gone this route? Does it include the arm rests, pocket, etc? Same details as original? Just slip it right in? Or am I missing something?

Actually, my skins are originals in pretty decent shape but the inner boards are warped a lot.

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

George Des

Re: Inner Door panels
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2004, 07:33:20 »
James,

I went this route several years ago because my side panels had deteriorated due to water seeping past the vaopr barrier--good reason to make sure this stays intact whenever you have to go insde the door to make any adjustments to the door mechanism. The new panels I got came with new boards with the correct heat pressed seams and enough spare material to do the arm rest (this was pre-formed) and the hard pocket. You need to save all the metal work for the pocket and the panel top from your old panels. The top piece of metal needs to be riveted with pop rivets to the new panel board and the arm rest and pocket recovered with the extra material and screwed onto the new baord. This is not a very difficult job, but it is by no means a simple remove and replace of the old panel. It is well worht it. The panels I got through Millers are of high quality and look great. Shop around--the prices on these things vary greatly.

George Des