Author Topic: Gullwing at Bonneville  (Read 11338 times)

Flim

• Regular
  • United Kingdom, England, Flimwell, East Sussex
Gullwing at Bonneville
« on: November 02, 2013, 08:22:11 »
Whether you think this is sacrilege or not, you have to admire his enthusiasm......

http://www.petrolicious.com/racing-a-mercedes-gullwing-at-bonneville-will-give-you-salt-fever

Charles

Flyair

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Warsaw
Re: Gullwing at Bonneville
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2013, 09:19:53 »
Charles,

This is a confirmation that enthusiasm (which I am happy to concede must be there) does not preclude stupidity in the race for fame and showing off at any price.  
Here I would stress on the last words: "at any price"; damaging a one million dollars car is the guy's choice, but devastating a piece of rare art, and this is what a Gullwing is today, demonstrates abnegation and brainless attitude.

For me it is worse than lighting a cigar with the 1000$ note. Not only the scale of damage is larger, but also the loss is irreversible.
Stan
1971 280SL
2011 SL550 AMG
2011 GL
2015 GLA

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2013, 10:49:14 »
I disagree. I think it's great that he's doing that to his Gullwing. In the Dutch Tulpenrally, which I've now done 5 times, there are two drivers that I admire immensely: one guy who has a 300SL Roadster and rallies it very competitively. The other rallies a Ferrari 250 SWB, also competitively. It is a joy to be in the same rally with them… if they approach, we wind down our window and enjoy the sound.

When you talk to these people they think as follows: if we crash our little Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint GT (worth around €16000) into a stone wall (which happens) then we'd likely total it. If the 300SL or the Ferrari hit the same stone wall, it would just be minor insurance job: the damage would be less than 10% of the value.

The Ferrari owner said: I can drive this thing into the back of a bus, and it would still be worth repairing. Just have good insurance, and have fun with it.

Here are some examples of Tulpenrally "accidents", including a Pagoda owned by one of my rally friends… I can assure you, that Pagoda is now in better shape than mine.

Peter
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

pdc

• Senior
  • Belgium, West-Vlaanderen, Oostduinkerke
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2013, 11:12:20 »
I am more inclined to agree with Stan.

Enjoying the car and race it is just fine; and cars can be fixed indeed. But if they get hurt what then? To be honest I wouldn't like to get in a car accident with these older cars, no airbag etc... On the other hand I rather drive my car and enjoy it careless rather than have it like new sitting in a showroom garage  :D, Well I like it shiny when driving it , that I have to admit  8). So I guess I am a
n in-between  ;D

Having that said; I liked the video a lot; the driver of the SL is determined and dedicated to do what he likes and that deserves respect. Besides it is his car; at least I hope so  ;D
late 67  250SL
4 speed manual
Euro version
Pascal

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2013, 11:17:10 »
That's why it is good there's diversity. Some people love polishing and making their cars shine, entering concourses and winning them. Others like restoring and the technical work that this entails. And then there are people who enjoy the cameraderie and friends that the hobby brings. Some people, like me, enjoy participating in classic car rallies, where both the brain and the car are exercised thoroughly.

If you'd like to see what the Tulpenrally is about… well, unless you speak Dutch, to enjoy the scenery of where classic car rallying brings you, check out the video's here: http://www.youtube.com/user/Tulpenrallye?feature=mhum#p/u

Have a look at Aflevering 4, from about 04:00 minutes onwards… Col de Turini

Peter
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 11:23:44 by Peter van Es »
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

pdc

• Senior
  • Belgium, West-Vlaanderen, Oostduinkerke
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2013, 12:38:01 »
Peter ,

I am Flemish and speak English Dutch, German and French, native language is Flemish .

I'll check out the link about the rally but now getting ready to cruse to the Caribbean :).

btw, I live in Belgium, when I am not traveling
late 67  250SL
4 speed manual
Euro version
Pascal

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2013, 13:43:44 »
I'll check out the link about the rally but now getting ready to cruse to the Caribbean :).

I'm already feeling sorry for you…  ;)

W113SL

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2013, 13:59:15 »
I've known Bob Sirna for years.  He has owned a number of Gullwings and 300SL roadsters. They are his passion as Pagodas are ours.

He has been trying to break the record that was set by another Gullwing years ago at Bonneville.

Pete Lesler
W113SL

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2013, 14:29:11 »
That was a "new" video piece on Bob Sirna and his gullwing.
I too, like Pete Lesler, have known Bob for some years.  He was once an active member of the MBCA but for some reasons years ago, got offended at somebody and something, and kind of left in a huff.
If you think some of *us* have opinions, and are strong willed, perhaps, Bob takes those definitions to a whole new level.
He has pursued his dream with the Gullwing for many years, spending a lot of time and boatloads of cash on this project. My friend Adam Lumsden has worked for Bob and on more than one occasion his task upon the car's return from a Bonneville jaunt was to remove the salt from the chassis. This was a task that makes our car cleaning look like wiping a kitchen counter.
Bob has worked on that engine in ways none of you could even possibly imagine--it would take the sharpest, most adroit automotive engineer to understand what he's doing. His goal is to set a record in his class.  It has proved an elusive dream.

The story of this car, and Bob's dream, were also portrayed here, http://szwedo.com/gullwing.html in a video presentation called "Gullwing at twilight" when Sirna had then 87 year old John Cooper Fitch http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Fitch_(driver) actually drive the gullwing in the speed run. Here's a promo for the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ALWHWPD4y8

All good stuff.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Flyair

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Warsaw
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2013, 14:47:37 »
Peter,

If we agree that life is a deadly business, then we agree on everything, as everything else is secondary ;D

In fact, I do respect his way of pursuing his dreams, especially if he can afford it, which it looks he can.

Engaging in rallies, such as the Tulpenrallye is always demanding and cars usually come out after that in a worse condition than before. Obviously accidents happen and this is a risk that we take every time when heading off from the cosy garage where our more or less shiny Pagodas sleep. That's OK. My point was that getting the car on the salty surface definitely damages the car... there is nothing accidental or unforeseen here.

I like your point about diversity though and this is what makes the SL Pagoda Group so great :)

Stan
1971 280SL
2011 SL550 AMG
2011 GL
2015 GLA

ejboyd5

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Southold, NY
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2013, 15:31:16 »
This is a confirmation that enthusiasm (which I am happy to concede must be there) does not preclude stupidity in the race for fame and showing off at any price.  Here I would stress on the last words: "at any price"; damaging a one million dollars car is the guy's choice, but devastating a piece of rare art, and this is what a Gullwing is today, demonstrates abnegation and brainless attitude.
Let us not forget that it is his piece of rare art and that he can, and should, do what he wants with it.  Those who feel strongly about preservation and art appreciation always have the option of putting their money where their mouths are - purchase the car and lock it away in a museum.  Somehow, I don't think that Bob would be a ready seller; he's having too much fun trying to improve the Mercedes engineering of the '50s and driving his other 300 SLs. 

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2013, 18:18:33 »
Engaging in rallies, such as the Tulpenrallye is always demanding and cars usually come out after that in a worse condition than before.

Rallyes are a very different animal than Bonneville. If you read about Rallyes, particularly some of the severe winter ones such as the ones Joe Alexander used to run it, they often had 90% attrition rates! Menacing, punishing and not infrequent car crashes.

I remember when someone asked John Cooper Fitch about driving Sirna's gullwing at Bonneville compared to driving one for the 1955 Mercedes-Benz factory race team (where he was the only American driver, BTW).  His answer, paraphrased was something like "In 1955 we were racing at night, in the rain, wheel to wheel on a course with twists and turns. Today, in daylight, I grasp the steering wheel, and once in high gear it is accelerator floored and hold on!"
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2013, 18:43:27 »
That's awesome. Not a word I like or use a lot but that Gullwing/owner is awesome
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2013, 05:31:51 »
Yes Bob is a real enthusiast. He loves these cars and their part of his life. I recall that they stay in the lower level of his house. Not exactly a garage, but the lower level. He has to drive them through the yard to put them away.

He also had an exact replica of the "prototype 300SL gull wing" (Pan Americana Rally "Buzzard 300SL" ) hand built from scratch.  Featured in "The Star Magazine" some years back. Anyone have some pics of i?. Its incredibly authentic.
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback