Author Topic: 1964 230SL w113 4 speed manual for sale. Looking at offers over $50,000 usd  (Read 298 times)

604peter

• Junior Level
  • Canada, British Columbia, VANCOUVER
230SL enthusiasts,
It's time to part with my father's prized 230SL w113.
I have a 1964 230SL 4 speed manual hard/soft top for sale in Vancouver, Canada.  Accepting offers greater than $50K usd.
The restoration was completed over 10 years and was not bestoke.  It was DIY with love and care by an old machinist.
Several members from this forum saw the car last fall and remarked how good the car is.
The car's engine was taken apart as dementia set in, and my father was not able to put the car back together.  I paid a MB mechanic to put the engine back together and do the brakes.
The car starts and runs.  I've driven it- but honestly it sits in my garage.  It uses and electric fuel pump to assist with cold starts.  It idles well and settles around 800 rpm.  Warm starts are fine.  Cold starts are more challenging.  Steering is good- not loose.  brakes are solid and responsive.  Suspension is tight- not spungy.  Car runs level and sits nicely on the road.  Toe in/out seems good as well as returning corners and straightening adjusts back to straight running.  Gears are pretty tight... neutral is a little loose, but I don't mind that.
While this is not a project car- it is a car that an enthusiast will want to work on and change.
There are minor blemishes with the paint, as the resto shows its age.
Not original paint code.  It's signal red- should be metalic copper/ bronze
Interior is black- should be brown (according to the VIN plate)
Muffler needs replacing... and maybe exhaust piping
Engine tuning to make it start better would be good.
Maybe minor body work depending how original new owner wants it. (e.g., my dad did some welding on the floor pans.  Didn't use OEM floor pan parts; he used plain metal).  There's not bondo on the car
Has the jump seat in the back
lots of chrome in good shape
great dash with paint, leather and wood to boot.

The car comes with lots of paperwork- its a great story how it crossed the Atlantic several times and has been in Germany twice with the USAF; then England and eventually Vacaville and finally Sacramento, California.  I have two binders of bills of sale, history, receipts, customs doc's, etc as well as mechanical drawings, technical data and engine measurements// tolerances that were hand drawn during the restoration... Earliest document I could find dates back to 1968.

Car was garage kept, and only driven in sunny days... and not often.  If you're interested, or would like more information/ pics or video you may DM or message me.
Thanks, Peter