Author Topic: Radio removal  (Read 8880 times)

dixy2k

Radio removal
« on: January 07, 2008, 20:10:36 »
Hi everybody.
I have a question regardin the removal of a radio which I have currently installed in my car.
I have an after market Panasonic installed in my car. I just want to get rid off it, because it does not work right and I also want the correct look of a Becker (which I have).
How do I access the back of the radio in order to get it out?
There is no way I can do it through the little speaker hole on top of the dashboard. I heard from somebody that I need to do it through the glove compartment. Is that right?
I have a Becker Mexico with an amp attached to it through a cable. The radio comes with two brackets, but the amp does not have any mounting hardware.
Any ideas?
Thanks.

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
Re: Radio removal
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 09:21:24 »
Dixy2k,

(Is this a play on the name Dixie?)

I was going to point you to the technical manual as a reference, but little/nothing has been added on this topic:
http://www.sl113.org/wiki/pmwiki.php?n=Electrical.RadioAndAntenna

Yes, you need to remove the glove box & clock and you'll have good access.  Dash boards are made differently through the years.  What year/model do you own?

If you use the Search feature of the Forums, the link is in the menu in the top right corner, then you will find lots of information.  This information will hopefully be consolidated into the Manual at some time.

Example of Search results:
http://index.php?topic=6886,glove
http://index.php?topic=6279,glove
http://index.php?topic=6018,glove
http://index.php?topic=4926,glove
http://index.php?topic=3264,glove

Rodd
1966 230SL: arabian gray, natural leather, euro, auto, both tops
2006 C230: alabaster white, ash interior.  Without: automatic transmission, sunroof, heated seats, full leather interior, full power memory seats, CD changer, Logic 7, Command, rain-sensing windshield wipers, rear window sun shade, headlight washers, electrically adjusted steering wheel, ....
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL

dixy2k

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 22:30:38 »
Thanks for the great info.
dixy used to be an old nickname of mine.

I have a red 1970 280SL with an ugly and broken Pioneer unit in.

The SEARCH feature did help me much. I tried to search for different words, but came up short.

Are the old Becker units rated at 4 or 8 ohm for the speakers? I also searched the forum for this particular information and possible links, but again no luck.
All the 3.5" spaekers on the market now are rated at 4 ohm. The pair that I have in my car are rated at 8 ohm (Realistic, I think they were bought from Radio Shack a few deceades ago).

One more question for the Amp:
The power connector for the amp looks to me like a double male connector. There is a "+" sign next to it. I would assume the negative or ground connection is made through the frame of the amp. Is that right?
Are the + female connectors easy to find? I searched Parts Express and Radio Shack websites and I couldn't find any. I will probably have to take the amp to a store and see what comes close to that connector.

hands_aus

• Platinum
  • Australia, Queensland, Brisbane
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 05:43:56 »
You could contact Becker and seek their advice

http://www.beckerautosound.com./

Bob Smith (Brisbane,Australia)
RHD,1967 early 250 SL, auto
Bob Smith (Brisbane,Australia)
RHD,1967 early 250 SL #114, auto, ps , 717,717
best of the best

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 08:24:24 »
I have an old Becker Instruction manual in pdf for building in the radio. I'll put it in the Technical Manual, http://www.sl113.org/wiki/pmwiki.php?n=Electrical.RadioAndAntenna under Maintenance.

Anyway, in that manual it refers to all speakers (lautsprechers) as being 5 Ohms. So using 4 Ohms is best, but 8 Ohms will work with lower sound volume.

I don't understand your question about the power connector, but have a look at the Becker installation manual.

Peter

1970 280SL. Also known as 'admin@sl113.org' and organiser of the Technical Manual.
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

dixy2k

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 00:26:32 »
Thaks for all your great help.

I found out what the connector on the amp was for. It is the power conection for the power antena. I don't have one of those so no need to worry about it.

I got a differnt dilemma now. The radio fits loosely in the dashboard. It appears I need one of those sleeves or escutcheons to hold in place. The two little pegs which attach with a screw to the radio don't help at all in fixing it in place.

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008, 05:34:51 »
My Becker Europa is secured by the traditional method of a piece of metal strip with holes in it secured to the body of the car. This metal strip attaches to the proper securing hole at the back of the radio and from there it is bolted to the inside of the firewall. It appears to be the way the radio was originally fitted. Since the back is held in place, it is perfectly supported. I am not familiar with a Becker Mexico; does it have a threaded hole in the rear? If so, that is what it is for.

I have a photo somewhere of the back of my radio.

JH
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

zoegrlh

• Gold
  • USA, VA, Williamsburg
  • Beauty from top BCW
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2008, 08:17:31 »
I will have to differ with Jameshoward.  The original Becker radios that were installed in the SLs were attached to the firewall with a rear securing clamp (on a flat metal piece of angled steel), which was attached by to the bolt at the middle of the back of the radio with a nut and washer.  This champ is spring loaded and attached itself to a plate/ledge welded to the firewall.  This held the back of the radio in place while the front was held in place by the face plate (not the chrome surround of the radio).  The clamp was at the correct position/height for the firewall ledge, so when the radio is placed into the dashboard opening with some force, the clamp would open enough to slide onto the firewall ledge, thus securing the radio in back of the dashboard.  This also made for easy radio removal.  I do not believe that these clamps/steel flat angle pieces are still available from Becker.  My suggestion is to look for old Becker radio that still has the securing clamp attached to it.  Hope this helps you.

Now as for your amp, that attaches to firewall behind the glove box.

Robert Hyatt
Williamsburg, VA.

1970 280SL, Red on Silver,4-speed, Euro spec; 1999 C230 Kompresser Sport, Black on Black; 1990 Miata, Black on Red, 5 Speed
Robert Hyatt
Williamsburg, VA.

W113, 1970 280SL, Red leather 242 on Silver Gray Met. 180, 4-speed stick, Euro spec, restored
R172 2012 SLK350, Black Premium leather 801 on Mars Red 590, 7-speed auto
W211, 2007 E320 Bluetec, Cashmere MB Tex 144 on Arctic White 650, 7 speed auto

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2008, 14:18:48 »
Actually, Robert, syntax and description aside I think you'll find we're talking about the same thing. So shall we be in violent agreement?

As the line goes: "I agree with what he says."

What Dixy might find useful is that bracket rather than looking for an alternative way to secure the radio.
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

dixy2k

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2008, 19:58:24 »
I exchanged some e-mails with a guy that sold me the radio (he had approx 30 Pagodas at one time) and he simply stated that the radio will only be secured by the two little brackets or rods, whatever you want to call them.
The radio has tho threaded holes on each side close to the rear end. The screws thread in there perfectly, but it is completely useless.
Behind the face plate there are two vertical shafts on each side, almost behind the knobs. Those little brackets go inside the shafts and secure the radio in place. It does not rattle and it is perfectly aligned to the dashboard.
Mine does have that bolt in the center of the rear end, but has the ground wire attached to it. There is a bolt on a horizontal plane on the firewall with about an inch worth of a bracket/clamp. I think someone probably cut that clamp system. I'll see if I can secure it in the back as well. But for now it looks just fine the way it is secured by the two brackets.

dixy2k

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2008, 23:08:39 »
I finished everything today. The new (old) Becker in place and working just fine. The radio scale light is not working though, but I'll probably get it fixed someday.