Author Topic: 1964 230sl distributor points sticking together  (Read 6804 times)

n/a

1964 230sl distributor points sticking together
« on: September 23, 2003, 23:14:49 »
hello i am a new member! car #1419 occassionally the points will stick together and kill the engine, i have to remove the distributor cap and separate the points. then she runs fine. any ideas on how to fix this problem? car also runs pretty rich do i have a fuel injector pump issue?
thanks,
michael

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
Re: 1964 230sl distributor points sticking together
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2003, 08:34:16 »
Michael,

Welcome!  First, let me kindly suggest learning how to use the search function on the forum.  It works really well and you can find lots of neat info.

Regarding the sticky points, I've not heard of that one before, so others may have to help you.  Common problems with distributors are a missing spring, lack of lubrication causing wear, and improper installation.  I'm sure someone will be able to point you in the right direction.

Regarding the rich running.  First, I've heard that these cars may have been designed to run a little rich.  I believe there are specifications on proper CO measurements for the exhaust to determine this.  Beyond that, there are many adjustments.  You first must ensure the throttle linkages are all set to spec.  Then you work on other aspects of the fuel injection, air intake, ignition, and so on.  Practice the search function by looking for Tom's long detailed message on setting the linkage to factory spec.

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL

George Davis

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2003, 09:30:55 »
Michael,

one possibility is that the points are getting excessively hot and basically welding themselves together.  This can be caused by too small a points gap, or excessive wear of the distributor shaft or bearings allowing the gap to close up.

The distributor shaft play should be checked, and the dist. rebuilt if necessary, then install new points and make sure the gap/dwell are correct.

George Davis
'69 280 SL Euro manual

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2003, 20:47:27 »
Hello Michael,
You may have too much voltage across the ignition points. This could be a result of the improper mixing of ignition componants like coil, ballast resistor, condenser etc. Start of by trying to document what ignition parts are on your car. You can also measure the voltage at the small ignition wire on the distributor side of the coil (#1 or -terminal).

Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

Ricardo

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2003, 21:11:37 »
Michael
If you should need dist. work, our own Benz Dr. (Dan Caron)is pretty knowledgeble about these and has a machine especially for setting them up. He isn't a fan of electronic ignition and prefers to rebuild and properly set up the original dist. or even to modify the more advanced Mercedes dual point dist. from a 300SE I think it is. He's helped us realize that there's more than point gap involved. He is located near Detroit, though fate intervened and tossed him east of the St. Clair river and made a Blue Jays/Leafs fan out of him. :D
Ricardo