Author Topic: one wiper works, the other does not?  (Read 9331 times)

aomastu

one wiper works, the other does not?
« on: October 15, 2007, 19:10:54 »
Hello all,
I wanted to get your ideas on where I should start.  One windshield wiper, passenger side works.  It is the top wiper.  The driver wiper just sits there.  The speed switch changes the speed of the working wiper, but the dead wiper just sits there.

Yipes!  Ideas?

Sincerely,

S

glennard

Re: one wiper works, the other does not?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 19:23:34 »
Is the driver side shaft turning?(should be).  The cap nut might be loose.  Remember to lubricate the shafts.

aomastu

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 19:30:22 »
The shaft does not seem to be turning.  I just checked it again.  Also, as is sadly common with my older cars, I don't drive in rain.  Drats! So, it may just need oiling and then it may start again?

The fear I have is that some rod, or connection, got bent when the one moved and the other didn't.  Is this scenario possible (probable)?

aomastu

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2007, 19:34:31 »
definitely not turning.  I took off the nut w/14mm socket.  Held shaft with passenger side wiping.  Alas, no turning of driver side wiper shaft.

jeffc280sl

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2007, 21:01:44 »
Both wipers are controlled by a sigle motor which is located on the passenger side firewall.  There is a long rod that connects the two wipers shafts to the motor.  I would say that the drivers side of that rod has somehow become disconnected from its wiper shaft.

Here is a pic of the assembly.  The only way to know for sure is to take a look at the rod.  Its easiest to look at it from the passengers side by removing the glove box.  From the opening you can inspect the rod as it is connected to the passenger side wiper and motor.  If it is broken at the drivers side you will need to remove the tach to inspect the problem.

Depending where and what is broken will determine what to do next.  Worst case will require significant disassembly of the dash board in order to remove the entire wiper assembly for repair.

Download Attachment: wiper.jpg
22.58 KB

Jeff C.
1970 280SL 4-speed

aomastu

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2007, 21:05:18 »
Jeff,

I've read the posts about the removal of the glove box, etc.  Is the connection to the driver's side something that can be seen from the upsidedown crab position with pedals-as-pillows and a big flashlight?

seattle_Jerry

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2007, 00:47:44 »
I replaced my ignition switch which required removing the speedo and tach and glovebox and radio...and...

but was really no big deal. I did the whole repair in a couple of hours...and I have big meat hands that are a tight fit behind the dash. Don't let a little disassembly scare you off

1967 230SL Havana Brown Auto with A/C

jeffc280sl

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2007, 06:10:09 »
I think there is too much stuff in the way to see the drivers side wiper assembly from the floor boards.  Give it a try, maybe you will see something.

Jeff C.
1970 280SL 4-speed

al_lieffring

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2007, 07:08:48 »
The cross over link that connects the two wiper shafts together usually becomes disconected on the right side behind the glove box.
the reason they come apart there often is because the left side wiper shaft has become stuck and wont turn any more.

I came up with a set of tools that I used to free up stuck wiper shafts that didn't involve the dismantling of the entire dash board.

http://index.php?topic=5929

Al Lieffring
66 230Sl
New blue top just arrived
new gas tank on order

ted280sl

• Silver
  • USA, NY, New Rochelle
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2007, 10:35:10 »
I agree with Jeff's diagnosis. Remove the gove box. There are only approximately 7 screws on the inside of the gove box which need to be unscrewed. Then the entire gove box can be removed and you will have a great view of the wiper motor and linkage. Let us know what you see.
Ted 1969 280SL

Chad

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2007, 22:46:13 »
If you have big hands working in the dashboard will leave marks/bruises/abrasions on your inside wrists that will leave others wondering if you are doing okay, feeling good, etc/etc.  

I also got those same questions from a couple of people as they saw my dismantling the dashboard and making the car look very much ruined.

Ultimately I threw in the towel on the dashboard, cause my hands *were* just too large for completing the task without breaking things. I had vast and unattainable dreams of pulling everything out and repairing/refurbishing everything by myself. But I did access the linkage pretty well, of course it worked pretty well already though...

1967 230SL
« Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 22:52:31 by Chad »