Author Topic: Re: rewiring a Becker Europa  (Read 24994 times)

jakl

• Junior Level
  • USA, NJ, Princeton
Re: rewiring a Becker Europa
« on: February 13, 2004, 07:37:44 »
Hi folks, one of my winter projects is the replace the aftermarket radio with the original Becker Europa.  Unfortunately the previous owner left me with little to work with.  The only wire on the back of my Europa is a short black wire on the right side - that's it.  I've been able to find where the speaker plugs into.  I'm not sure where the power antenna attaches - not to mention the power source.

Any help or pictures would be greatly appreciated.  By the way, my car is a US model '70 280SL.
Thanks,
-jakl

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
Re: Re: rewiring a Becker Europa
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2004, 19:56:46 »
Hello Jakl,
Yes the black wire is the hot wire. The power to the radio originates from an auxilery (two fuse) fuse box on the right side of the engine bay. The second fuse in this auxilery box could be the power for the electric antenna. The speaker uses the special two pronged plug and plugs into the back of the radio as does the antenna cable. A brown (negative) wire with a large ring terminal origianally fastened to the threaded hole on the back center of the radio by a 10mm head bolt.  Electric antennas are so rare on these cars I am not sure how they interface with the radio itself.

Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

jakl

• Junior Level
  • USA, NJ, Princeton
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2004, 06:15:19 »
Joe, thanks for the prompt reply.  I'll try to locate the ground wire in the dash.  The previous owner ran a wire directly to the battery with an in-line fuse.  He then took power from that to power the antenna.  I'll look for the original wires in the dash.
     Can you identify the two small connectors to the right of the speaker output?  They have holes that bare wires are inserted with tiny set screws on top.
      Also, looking from the rear, the right side of the radio has a circular pronged connector.  Any idea what that is for?
I would greatly appreciate any light you could shed on my dilemma.
Thanks againk
-jakl

jakl

• Junior Level
  • USA, NJ, Princeton
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2004, 06:17:14 »
Joe, forgot to add - it's a Europa MU.

-jakl

n/a

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2004, 10:16:22 »
While I'm in my dash working on the heater levers, I'm also looking at putting in a Becker Europa. My car originally had a radio, but came to me with only the radio delete plate and no hole in the fender for the antenna. I think it had a stereo radio, as it has the two kick panel speakers, but I dunno. Anyhow, I've got some pictures of the connections on this page:

http://www.johnlivingston.com/becker_europa.htm

I may be talking to you when I get the heater levers done!

John

John Livingston
Newport News, VA
1968 280SL 4 speed manual

mulrik

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2004, 03:32:52 »
Great I'm also very interested in this subject as I also have to fit a power Hirschman to a Becker Europe radio. But one question remains open to me yet. In spite of having read a number of threads on this topic it is still not clear to me where on the back of the radio you fasten it to that little metal plate protrusion coming out from the firewall. Untill now I thought I could use the screw that apparently is "ground". Now, the only other option I can think of is the small protrusion coming out on the side on the back of the radio. Which is right??
Thanks!!

'67 250 SL Papyrus White 113043-10-000023

jakl

• Junior Level
  • USA, NJ, Princeton
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2004, 06:17:24 »
Hi guys, well, I completed my heater levers.  Quite a job!  I think it's a little harder on a 280 than a 230.  The 230 has a larger radio opening to work in.
     Now I'm ready for the radio.  John, the pictures are a tremendous help, but it's not identical to my radio.  I don't have those flat male connectors for the power antenna.  All I have is two plastic cones that accept bare wires - there are set screws on top to anchor them.  I'm not sure if this is for the power antenna or to run additional speakers.
     Mulrik, if I understand you correctly, my radio has an "L" shaped bracket mounted to the center ground bolt.  This bracket is sliced horizontally to slide onto the firewall bracket and support the back of the radio.
    I hope this helps.  By the way, a word to the wise: Don't start the heater lever project on Valentine's Day, there's not enough flowers and chocolate...
Regards,
-jakl

mulrik

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2004, 14:29:40 »
Well, thank you Jakl!! You did understand my correctly. My problem is I don't have this bracket on my radio. What's why I may sound a little helpless. I just wanted to know where on the radio you put the bracket that goes to the bracket on the firewall. Now I got the answer, Thanks!! Either I'll have to look for this bracket or make something up myself.

'67 250 SL Papyrus White 113043-10-000023

jakl

• Junior Level
  • USA, NJ, Princeton
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2004, 15:30:34 »
Hi Mulrik,  you're very welcome!  As a suggestion, if you need to make one use two "L" shaped brackets together.  This will provide the thin space to slide on to the existing bracket on the firewall.  Good luck!

-jakl

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2004, 21:18:03 »
Hello jakl,
After a little research I can add; there are at least four variations of the Becker Europa MU. The back design varies on each. I have a Becker installation guide for the W113 cars and it shows That the "L" bracket may be used on these models instead of a ground wire!? The plastic dual connector with two slotted set screws should be the automatic antenna connection. A kit of various parts came with the radio. The speaker, radio, speaker cables, two piece rear mounting angle and hardware, power cable and an additional engine compartment fuse box, along with additional hardware and rubber grommets came in the kit.
The installation instructions are dated Jan. 1969 (before stereo radio option). This Becker installation publication is valid for  Becker "Grand Prix", "Mexico", "Europa",
 "Avus", "Monte Carlo" radios in the W113.
The latest Becker Europa MU mono radios became smaller in size as time went on.

Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

jakl

• Junior Level
  • USA, NJ, Princeton
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2004, 06:01:40 »
Joe, thank you for your time and research.  If the bracket does function as the ground, that explains the lack of a brown ground wire.  
       You've solved the biggest mystery concerning the plastic connectors with the set screws.  My next obstacle is, the Hirschmann antenna is not the original.  I'm unsure which wires from the antenna to connect to the plastic connectors.  Should it be the positive or the "green" wire or both?  The previous owner had the positive wire from the antenna spliced into the power wire to the radio.  He then connected the green antenna wire directly to the aftermarket radio.  Do I even need to use the green wire?
Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Regards,
-jakl

tuultyme

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2004, 21:47:12 »
There is an installation guide on Ebay for the becker radio. Ebay item 2461365848.  It shows the L-bracket and how it fits between the radio and the car.

Bruce; Blaugrun(green) 1970 280SL; IL

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2004, 23:17:28 »
Hello,
I do not have any documentation for the electric antenna. However I do have some units to look at and it seems that these early units had a three prong plug. The harness which connected to the plug had a wire with a large ring terminal (this was grounded to the chasis), The two other wire leads were positive I believe (one positive wire to trip the internal relay in the unit, the other positive wire ran the antenna motor. It seems these units reversed direction automatically when the radio was switched on or off depending on position. The correct units for this era had natural aluminum or zinc metal cases. Later units  (nearly identical) had different plugs and painted black aluiminum or zinc cases.

Bruce,
I just got a couple sets of installation instructions for the W113 cars from Becker. They are later version and even show the exact location of the rare front stereo speakers!

Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2004, 02:05:14 »
Joe,
Could you post the speaker location pictures here?
I have one to do.
Thanks
naj

65 230SL
68 280SL
68 280SL

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2004, 12:17:45 »
Since we are on the subject...

My 230 SL has a newish Blaupunkt and I know for a fact that the opening has been haphazardly widened to accomodate it (ow-wee). The current faceplate covers fine but if I ever decided to go original, I got troubles.

So this would be the plan -- find a used, unadulterated center dash section (white!) & a Becker Europa to put in it. What are my chances? Any one have one of those radio plates lying around?

One other thing: my datacard says nothing about a radio and the dash speaker is not there. How would this affect the install if I "Go Becker"? Will existing kickpanel speakers work? Wiring?

Thanks.

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2004, 21:16:27 »
Hello naj,
Here is the stereo speaker lay out. My copy is a little rough so this scan may be hard to read.

Download Attachment: Becker stereo speaker install.jpg
65.44 KB

Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
« Last Edit: February 19, 2004, 21:25:14 by ja17 »
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

TA250SL

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2004, 22:06:05 »
This radio dash plate was available from Gernold at www.sltechw113.com last year.  Just have it painted to match your car and make the swap.  Of course, you'll need the correct early radio to fit the smaller opening size.  

Tom

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2004, 22:57:11 »
Hello James and Tom,

Actually the latest version of the Becker Europa MU, is small enough to fit in the small opening of the 230-SL. Just the front escutcheon plate must be changed to  the "slimline" Becker part # 016 187 256 256. These early escutcheon plates are still available at Becker.

The Becker Europa II stereo (later version) is also small enough to fit in all W113 openings as long as the correct escutcheon plate is used. This allows the W113 owner to use a more modern Becker with the correct exterior appearance. The small black identification bars  ("Becker Europa" or such) can be switched on any of the units to be correct for the particular W113.

Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2004, 17:35:13 »
Thanks Joe & Tom. I am trying to get a feel for this project and see some issues. Can center piece (230 SL) be replaced WITHOUT messing with heater levers? Been there, paid that.

And just curious, can the three upper chrome pieces be removed WITHOUT removing those heater levers? Mine could use a rechrome (or anyone know if they are available new?) So many questions....Thanks.

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

TA250SL

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2004, 01:52:23 »
The radio panel slips under the lower edge of the heater lever chrome trim, so it's an easy procedure.  If I remember correctly, just remove lower dash pad and chrome trim strip, glove box, lighter, and clock.  The panel is secured with screws at the bottom edge.

Tom

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2004, 10:30:46 »
Thanks Tom.
Now to only find one of those plates. Then a radio...

As for the chrome heater trim -- it looks like they may slip around levers, anyone know for sure?

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

Dick M

« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2004, 13:55:36 »
James..
When you get it figured out you can come over to the  house and do mine.  
Dick

quote:
Originally posted by J. Huber

Thanks Joe & Tom. I am trying to get a feel for this project and see some issues. Can center piece (230 SL) be replaced WITHOUT messing with heater levers? Been there, paid that.

And just curious, can the three upper chrome pieces be removed WITHOUT removing those heater levers? Mine could use a rechrome (or anyone know if they are available new?) So many questions....Thanks.

James
63 230SL

Dick M
1970 280SL

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2004, 22:34:46 »
Well, Dick, I think it might be the other way around! You already have the radio -- and the right size opening!

But I like the idea of comparin' notes (if it would ever stop raining around here for more than a day!)

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

TA250SL

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2004, 00:36:03 »
Did you find out if SL-Tech still carries the radio plate? I have also seen them on German E-bay, and I also heard the part was originally made available by the German Pagode Club.  I hope you can locate one.  

Tom

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2004, 13:19:36 »
Hey Tom, I have an email pending to Herr Nisius at SL-Tech. I was also wondering this:

There is a chance my opening would accomodate the later 113 Becker radio since it is now bigger than original 230SL. That would eliminate need for new center panel ... Does anyone have any idea the 280SL opening? and/or the face plate size of a 280SL Becker? Can the knobs be interchanged (I believe early beckers had smaller ones...)

Thanks.

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2004, 13:27:07 »
Or would that be cheating?... :twisted:

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2004, 18:33:15 »
Hello guys,
I just moved a string up from last summer on the subject. It has a lot of information and photos.

Yes the early and late knobs are interchangable. In addition some later Becker radios will fit in early dashes. Faceplates, knobs, escutcheon plates, and identification bars can be swithced to disguise the later radio so it looks like an early unit. All these parts are available new from Becker! The radios became smaller as time went on. The two part radios (separate amplifier) became one part. Then came the two part stereo which later became one part. Finally the Becker Europa II stereo became one part and smaller than any of the others.  

Hope this helps.

Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2004, 22:43:11 »
Thanks Joe. Very informative. I will move over there with next question...

By the way, center piece for 230SL is available from SL Tech and Ray at SL Classics can get them as well. I am still weighing my options.

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

TA250SL

« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2004, 00:19:34 »
I rebuilt an early Becker Grand Prix to fit the smaller opening of the replacement radio panelin my early 250SL.  I love the looks, but if I can fit a newer Europa stereo version into the opening as Joe suggested, I could play my iPod MP3 player through it's rear DIN connector.  Does anyone have a Europa Stereo radio available?  I already found a set of original kick panel speaker enclosures.  

Tom

jakl

• Junior Level
  • USA, NJ, Princeton
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2004, 13:16:58 »
Hi folks, just an update for the curious.  Thanks to all your helpful suggestions, my Becker is rewired, installed and working great.
     In addition to your help I called Ed Ebel at Becker Radios in N.J.  He confirmed that although the rear bracket acts as the ground to the firewall, he recommends attaching a wire to the center screw and grounding to the chassis.  Also confirmed the two plastic connectors with set screws are for the trigger wire for the power antenna.
     The last obstacle to overcome was adapting connectors for the speaker output.  It was a feeling of relief when I attached the battery and turned the knob - the antenna raised, the dial lit and music filled the interior.  I finished assembling the dash and took it for a spin.  Couldn't have finished the job without your input.
Thanks,
-jakl