Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
Hi Bob
Thats a great idea  i will post a video of the sound on Monday, but it sounds nothing like the one you mentioned.  It is more  apparent and constant and increases with the RPM

I'll do a HD video

thanks
Arthur
I often ask new owners how much they paid for their car. This helps to give me an idea of where they are financially on their car. If the car needs 30K worth of engine and mechanical work it's a good idea to know if it will be a sound investment. At a level like that, it's getting into restoration and not so much maintenance.

You have very low compression and an engine knock; no amount of tuning will fix that.  :(
Drive train, fuel, suspension, steering & brakes / Re: Injectors
« Last post by Benz Dr. on Today at 18:19:31 »
Thank you.  All of my injectors were retested and although the patterns look good and they chirp as desired the pop pressures are below the minimum of 15 atm or 220.4 psi, per the gauge they pop at 200-210 psi.  Gauge tested (actually reads a little high) as a precaution and the conclusion is that the injectors all pop below spec...   :( :(

I have no problem running injectors that open at 200 PSI. As long as they have a good spray pattern and don't leak, they are likely to work just fine.

MB sets a lower limit of 150 PSI compression ( on a 280) before rebuilding an engine even though that same engine will run without issues. When they set those limits, they were not thinking about 50 plus years into the future where parts are now getting harder to source and these cars don't see a whole lot of driving. These guidelines were meant for MB dealers who would benefit from getting their customers to spend money on a currently driven car, not an occasional toy.

Save your coins for things you actually need like fuel, insurance, or tires. :)
Larry,  I had watched this video and found it quite informative.  My R1 injectors have had 2-3 cleanings were tested on a device similar to yours - the patterns are now alll acceptable but they "pop" or fire at a lower than spec pressure.  As mentioned above.  To us that indicates that the springs are probably weak and the injectors need replacement.  An "early" injection in the air/fuel stream likely means that it's not optimal to valve timing..    that can compromise performance.. 

AND THANK YOU Dr. Benz for confirming that the R2 injector set will work and your preference.  Makes our decision to replace the entire set at least rational...  and hopefully this stream will help those in the future that have my same challenges. 
Electrical and Instruments / Re: Turn Signal Relay Buzzing?
« Last post by acbrock on Today at 16:40:15 »
I think everything is working now.  Blinkers even work, so the Relay I thought was bad is still good too.  Now I have 2! I bought one from a guy in San Francisco off eBay.  I will get her on the road today and check it all out.

Yes I did learn a TON about the car.  Just never going to forget the the "Dumb Chill" that took over my body when I was staring at all 20 papers I have created with diagrams and colors and I thought... Maybe it's the wrong plug.  I was 50/50 on what I wanted the answer to be!  Well 90/10.  I would rather have the car work and admit the crazy mistake.

Still learning something new everyday! Double check the plug was yesterday... What will today bring!
Items for Sale / Re: 1971 Pagoda Project for Sale (car is gone)
« Last post by Howard Long on Today at 15:59:20 »
Garry,
The car is on its way to Sydney.  Dion Honeman bought it.
Howard
Hello, it is disappointing that you've had problems, don't let it spoil your enjoyment of the car, it's over 50 years old, so there will be problems along the way

As Pinder suggests, an audio of the tapping noise will help the experts diagnose it.  In the meantime listen to the tapping on this post, does it sound anything like this?

https://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=37594.msg274888#msg274888
Do you remember whether you could move the platform with screws somewhat? Or must it be a firm fix on some other part behind it or around it? If that is the case, then something must be broken in my IP.

Btw, as far as I can tell, the spring is not broken.
Hello Pinder

Thanks for the reply, 
They did check for the valve cover rubbing on the cam shaft and they did bend the towers back so that it is  not the cam shaft.  He did say that the cam shaft was  like new and in very good shape.  The engine had been taken out of the car 8 years ago during the restoration, but i am not sure exactly what was done.  The  second starter failed because we greased the bendix too much.  The car really starts nice and quick in cold and hot  conditions. 
Fuel pressure seems to be ok ,  but was never checked .

I will try to make a video but the current mechanic  stated that it is coming from the bottom of the engine and not to drive it as it was very  dangerous to the engine 

I just feel very surprised , dejected  and not sure how to take the next steps.

Thanks    Arthur
Hi Arthur

Sorry to hear of your troubles but this is the right place to lead you in the right direction. Many very knowledgeable people here.

Firstly the compression numbers are really low should be closer to the 170psi mark (maybe the valves are adjusted too tight?).  (maybe that needs to be re checked after the valvues are adjusted correctly).

your clicking noise could be coming from the valve cover tower brackets. This is possible if the prior mechanic over tightend the 3 bolts on the valve cover. if this happense they will rub on the cam shaft and cause ticking noise.  you can check this by removing the cover and where the 3 valve cover brackets are check if you have a clearance and it is not rubbing on the cam. (To fix this you will need to bend the towers back in position)

it may help if you post a video of the car engine running so we can hear  what the noise sounds like. If its from the bottom of the engine and is rodk nock its a lot louder than at ticking noise from the cam.

What is your fuel pressure like? when cold the fuel pressure should be max .

Adjusting the values should not have caused the bottom engine noise.   

One thing that is a puzzle is why the starter failed?  also is it possible the ticking noise is related to an impropper install of the starter?

Regards

Pinder
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10