Author Topic: What puts a smile on your face?  (Read 6583 times)

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
What puts a smile on your face?
« on: October 07, 2004, 02:25:02 »
Is there one thing about your Pagoda that puts a smile on your face?

I know there's lots of things but the ONE thing that always gives you a smile.

For me, it's the horn (ooh er)

The tone and volume are so much like any other car, and the little car making such a big noise always makes me smile. In London I often seek out idiots on the road (not dififcult) just so I can honk them :D
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

Ricardo

Re: What puts a smile on your face?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2004, 06:28:40 »
The sound of the exhaust, at about 3200rpm, climbing a hill between two rock cuts on the highway....a cross between a high powered speedboat and a low flying Messershmitt (sp?)
Top down of course....
Ricardo

A Dalton

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2004, 10:07:59 »
The Distinct Stance ..
  ..whenever you park in a new setting , you walk away as far as possible  before giving way to that irresistible temptation to give a quick qlance back... and there she is ...lookin' gooooooood....
 The Eye Candy of the 113..
« Last Edit: October 07, 2004, 11:42:07 by A Dalton »

hauser

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2004, 13:46:57 »
I would have to add the fact that I miss the final turn on my way home just to drive a little longer.  Of course I find myself doing this all the time. :D

1969 280sl 5 spd        1999 ML320          Gainesville,Fl.

n/a

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2004, 15:52:34 »
quote:
Originally posted by Tosh

Is there one thing about your Pagoda that puts a smile on your face?

I know there's lots of things but the ONE thing that always gives you a smile.

For me, it's the horn (ooh er)

The tone and volume are so much like any other car, and the little car making such a big noise always makes me smile. In London I often seek out idiots on the road (not dififcult) just so I can honk them :D

The balance of soft to hard edges and poised yet mildly aggressive stance creates an overall look of what I call "engineered readiness". It never fails to draw my eye for a lingering and satisfying re-evaluation.

Mikey

Bob G

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2004, 16:55:42 »
the elegant look and feel of a 35 year old Mercedes-Benz still amazes me.The quality is so special like a swiss Rolex watch. The thunk as you close the door and slide into seats that are more like arm chairs that fit your turso like they were custom made. The instruments though more refined than the 300SL gullwing still tell you this is a serious touring car and yes the sound of the 6 cylinder engine as it comes to life and climes through the rpm ranges all the way to 6000 RPM and 125 MPH. I feel secure in this car, its like it has been built just for me.
Bob Geco
1968 280SL
Family owned since new

peterm

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2004, 07:45:14 »
The smile comes on a cool day (it heats too much when its hot out) which of course must be sunny (lest we ruin our detail) and I get finished unhooking it from its charger in the garage (that untraceable drain in the electrical system), and I'm driving to the local "concours" (only to realize that my disgusting engine bay should be hidden and the hood closed), now I forgot why am I smiling?  oh yes everyone points and looks and wishes they were me.

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2004, 11:40:32 »
I have to agree with Arthur Dalton, Mikey and Bob Geco: for me also it's 'the look ...'

Cees Klumper in Amsterdam
'69 white 280 SL automatic
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

Joe

• Silver
  • USA, CO, Colorado Springs
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2004, 18:26:17 »
I like the look of the car parked between two behemoths such as Excursions. It just looks so simply perfect, and they look so bloated and undignified.
Joe2

gwuisman

• Senior
  • Netherlands, Zuid-Holland, Oegstgeest
  • Keep it simpel
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2004, 16:21:39 »
Every time I start my computer my car smiles to me. And that makes me smile. Look the headlights, they form a very subtile V.

Gerard Wuisman
1970 280sl

Download Attachment: scrsafer 280sl.jpg
79.08 KB

Kenneth Gear

• Silver
  • USA, VA, Fairfax Station
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2004, 19:41:57 »
I had two smiles come to my face this weekend.  First was when I saw a shiny Pagoda 1/2 mile from my house parked in the Safeway parking lot, top down, wine color, bamboo interior.  I wasnb't driving my pagoda at the time... shame on me.. but I smiled because that car looked great and I know I had one too!

Second smile was when, for the first time, I installed a child car seat in the front seat of my pagoda and took my 3-year old daughter for a cruise.  While a bit nervous about safetly issues with her in the front seat and all, it was wonderful to see her curly red haor blowing in the wind and to she her smiling at how cool Daddy' car is.

Life is good my friends!
Ken G
1971 280 SL Silver/red

hauser

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2004, 23:02:15 »
Here is something to really smile about.  When we park our cars and they are out of our site for a period of time and upon your arrival it is still safe and sound.

How about when you take your car in for service and the bill is under $150.00! :D  :D

1969 280sl 5 spd        1999 ML320          Gainesville,Fl.

signalred280sl

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2004, 06:48:09 »
Waiting for the light to change watching in the rear view mirrow the expression of the driver of the car behind me reading my license plate MAXI TOY or watching the driver in front of me looking in his rear view mirror reading my front European plate that reads YOT IXAM . Also love beating the guy beside me off when the light turns green - it may be a six but the ole girl is F A S T at the starting line!!!
Les - 1970 280SL

Malc

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2004, 07:29:59 »
Knowing that the old girl is FINALLY safe and sound in my shed
Malc

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2004, 17:04:17 »
My garage is detached and faces my bedroom window.  I keep a garage door romote on the window sill.  When I need a smile, I just have to hit the garage door opener and there she is, ready and waiting for a drive!  If I need a big smile, I hit the garage door opener when there is a foot of snow on the ground and there she is, snug and warm, waiting for the first early spring day...  Want to smile inwardly?  Take your Pagoda to the Metro stop to pick up your wife.  Then watch all the guys following the love of your life she walks up and gets into the Pagoda!

- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havanna Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2004, 08:35:30 »
Aw, Mike, you show off!

That said, my wife takes ours to work once in a while. She gets serious respect from all her colleagues when she does. They actually ask after the car!
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather